I moved the Who is Urban Miyares string

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I moved the Who is Urban Miyares string

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:50 pm

We have reached the end of the road on reaction to the fabricated war story that an otherwise successful and respected man by the name of Urban Miyares has told at large gatherings for years. This all started when he made the mistake of linking a video of one of his war story presentations in a facebook post on the dedicated 6th of the 31st page in 2014. The reaction to that story started the odyssey that the original string became. With the recent corroborating statement by the 31st Regiment Association that the story most often repeated by Urban Miyares is untrue and "that a significant part of Urbans' combat story is a fabrication", this journey comes to an end.

The original string still exists. It's now in the Members Only section for those members of this board who are logged in.

The crowning result is not here but elsewhere. This is the link to This Ain't Hell But You Can See It From Here story that pretty much sums it all up.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: I moved the Who is Urban Miyares string

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 pm

And.....looks like there is no comment nor objection.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 pm

He seems to be sort of a done deal, not sure where else to go with it.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am

Looks like this is now going to be the publisher of his "biography". Goldmines Publishing. Not a big time publisher. Looks like a lot of children's books and novels from new authors.

It's called... .My Life Outside the Fishbowl.

The publishers website. https://www.goldmindspub.com/urban-miyares

And....it looks like from this blurb that his story will include the body bag story:

Urban Miyares, nationally known public speaker, blinded Vietnam veteran, entrepreneur, social philanthropist, Alpine skier, and offshore racing sailor, chronologically tells his life story in “My Life Outside the fish Bowl.” From the mysteries surrounding his family and youth in New York City, the shocking story of being discovered alive in the Vietnam War, and challenges of returning home disabled, with a shortened life-ending diagnosis, to become an award-winning entrepreneur, and champion athlete are revealed in Urban’s memoir … his first book, as he begins his 24th business venture as an author. Urban Miyares is the founder of the Disabled Businesspersons Association, its National Disabled Veterans in Business, Challenged America, and Special Kids in Business programs, serving as the educational charity’s volunteer president since 1985. Urban and his wife of 50 years live in San Diego, California, with their son, and have four grandchildren.

Looks like this publisher uses Amazon as one avenue to sell their books. No details of when it is going to be released...but stay tuned to the reviews that at least a few of us will likely give it.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I sent this email just now.

Dear Publishers:

I recently became aware of your upcoming publication of an autobiography by Urban Miyares and was curious about your reaction to some background information that you may not be aware of related to one small part of his often repeated history.

Urban Miyares may have done some good and amazing things in his life. What I don't know about him I don't dispute. Certainly he is an effective speaker. However, his body bag story, which he has repeated often in recorded public settings, is a mockery of reality. That he tells it as happening, evidenced by his sketchy military records, while in Alpha Company 6th of the 31st, 9th Division enrages many of us veterans still remaining after Urban himself made us on our dedicated facebook site aware of his story by sharing a link to his recorded Skyball appearance, (now removed from online by Skyball committee). Your online statement on the upcoming publication leaves little doubt he will yet again repeat that body bag story in his forthcoming book.

A major respected site dedicated to fake war stories has summed up the result of what members of the battalion Urban was officially assigned to on paper spent a lot of time investigating…including reporting of correspondence with Miyares himself on his body bag story. Take a look at this site which will give you the short history in a nutshell. This Ain't Hell but you can see it from here. http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383

Other than the This Ain’t Hell site story there is a long string, evolving over several years, showing the maturing of the Miyares question from the standpoint of veterans of the battalion seeking answers about Miyares. The whole string showing the long history of the Miyares war story and the 6th of the 31st veteran interaction is in the members section of my website 6thofthe31st.com. If you want a password I can give it to you since you otherwise wouldn't be able to understand the capture question or see the members only forum. This string at my site was moved to the members section only after there was friction between a group of us and the 31st Regiment Association over their not standing up and going on record about the Miyare's story being not only untrue but impossible. The string was moved to the private section after they finally went on record because the Association is the only reunion organization the veterans of the 6th of the 31st have and animosity needed to be relieved before it festered. What shows openly at my website, other than the members only forum, is a modified short statement linking to the it Ain’t Hell piece.

I know you aren’t selling Miyares autobiography as history, and as Ripley once said, “believe it or not”. I also know that telling lies is nothing new in autobiographies and telling fabricated war stories isn’t against the law in itself. But there is a large chance Amazon reviews will be less than laudatory from 6th of the 31st surviving members. I just would like your take on this question of Miyares and truth.

You will see a cc to Jerry White in the address. He was the major investigator into the Urban Miyares story.

Robert Stewart
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Great message Robert, and I will be glad to leave a review of his book..... :roll:

Vern

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 pm

So how do we all plan to review this book without requiring that all of us purchase it....thus helping Miyares profit from our disgust with his lies? LOL

I guess that one of us could purchase it and then summarize the Vietnam War tales for everyone else...then...each could submit their "review" via Amazon. Of course, "non-purchasers" would not show as a "purchaser" of the book in the review section if someone were to select to screen by "purchaser" reviews only.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Amazon will let you read some of it online before purchase. Since the body bag story is his bread and butter story it shouldn't be hard to find it early on if he includes it. However, it wouldn't be much of a problem to read the part that we are interested in and report here. Libraries could supply a copy at no cost to anybody interested. I think you can leave a review on Amazon without buying it from Amazon. Then again it could be offered other places than Amazon. Bottom line is that nobody wants to make him richer by buying the book if we can avoid it.

The best thing would be if he told the truth about his Vietnam experience.... which is.... basically that he just had arrived in country as a new NCO school E5 and experienced a medical emergency that got him sent to a hospital and eventual discharge before ever being in any combat. No body bag lie. No platoon leader lie. No combat traceable experience whatsoever in a company his records say he was penciled in for in which the then CO and 1st Sergeant have no memory of him ever being in.

So far, haven't heard anything back from the publisher.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 am

I'm not the only one who has written the publisher by email. A few copies of the emails that I've been made aware of are as follows....less the names of the senders to protect their privacy:

I have followed the stories of Urban Miyares and his experience in Vietnam. It is a sorry state that with the many brave and courageous things that happened over there during my period of service in 1968 that you would publish this garbage. It wouldn't take that much work on your folks part to determine that this book should be filed under fiction.

Please do your job and don't bring more embarrassment to Vietnam Vets.

Thank you,

Attn: Customer Service

You people are risking your reputation if you publish the segment of Urban Miyares’ Vietnam experience in “My Life Outside the Fish Bowl”. It has been proven that his claims are completely bogus and government documents do not lie. We’ve done our homework.

Kind regards,

To whom it may concern,

It was brought to my attention that you are considering publishing an auto-biography of the life of Urban Myiares.

I served in Vietnam with the 6th of the 31st in 1968 and am a active member of the 31st Infantry Regiment Association. Urban has been on our radar for some time regarding the authenticity of his claims about his service in Vietnam.

May I respectfully request that due diligence be done before anything is published about Urban's time in Vietnam or with the 6th of the 31st. While I was not directly involved in checking out Urban's story, I would be happy to direct you to the men who did exhaustive research on his claims and found them to be fraudulent.

If you have questions or would like contact information for those that investigated Urban's story please let me know. We do not want the memory of our brothers who gave their lives in service to our country dishonored.

Thank you

This is the address and email address which I sent my message to with no response. I suspect the above messages were sent to the same email contact address on their site.

Let's Talk

Goldminds Publishing, LLC
1050 Glenbrook Way, Suite 480
Hendersonville, TN 37075

contact@goldmindspub.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Some things I've noticed about this publisher is ...number one.... it is such a small "publisher" that it doesn't even have an actual business location. The address on their website says that they are at this address:

Goldminds Publishing, LLC
1050 Glenbrook Way, Suite 480
Hendersonville, TN 37075

Suite 480 is actually a UPS store in a shopping center in Henderson TN in which they apparently rent a drop box.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-ups-store-hendersonville-3

There is one other thing that makes me believe that this publisher has the book only because no established main stream publisher would touch this autobigraphy with a ten foot pole. This outfits books are actually produced by another company that seems deeply invested in the one off vanity press business as fueled by many "Publishers". You know.... order a copy of "Aunt Lucy's Family Recipes" from Amazon and this jobber provides a one off printed book or E book. Goldminds says this up front on their site:

If you are a retailer or wholesaler, all of our titles are distributed through Ingram worldwide and can be easily located by an ISBN search.

Check out Ingram's frequently asked page.

https://www.ingramcontent.com/publisher ... rvices/faq

Attached is a Google Earth snap of the shopping center and the UPS store that is actually Suite 480.

The probable reason Goldminds doesn't answer is because they have no personal skin in the game as a vanity press enabler.
Attachments
location.jpg
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Wow! After all these years and the best that Miyares can do is this "off the wall" publisher. Well deserved. LOL
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 pm

If anyone does a Google search prior to purchasing Miyares' book, the chances that they will purchase the book should not be very great.

Interesting...when you Google "Urban Miyares autobiography" look what you get....The "This Ain't Hell..." link follows the Goldminds Publishing link. LOL

Goldminds Publishing | Urban Miyares
https://www.goldmindspub.com/urban-miyares
Urban Miyares, nationally known public speaker, blinded Vietnam veteran, entrepreneur, social philanthropist, Alpine skier, and offshore racing sailor, chronologically tells his life story in “My Life Outside the fish Bowl.” From the mysteries surrounding his family and youth in New York City, the shocking story of his being found alive in Vietnam....

Urban Miyares; embellished tales : This ain't Hell, but you can see it ...
thisainthell.us/blog/?p=72383
May 30, 2017 - Miyares tells the story that when he arrived in Vietnam, he felt ill, but his leadership thought that he was malingering.......
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I have sent the following email to all of the 500+ men on our 6/31st roster for whom we have an email address....several have already emailed the "publisher" with their concerns.

Hello 6/31st (blindcopied),

For those who remember the Urban Miyares "body bag" and "platoon wiped out" claims....it appears that he has finally found a publisher for his autobiography. I am sure that, in this autobiography, he will repeat the same fabricated Vietnam experiences that he includes in all of his speaking engagements; thus, the Vietnam portion of his autobiography will be 99% pure fiction. A summary of our findings relative to his "tales" has been provided to the publishing company via their email link below, but they have yet to respond. Some of you men, familiar with this issue, may (or may not) like to provide them with your own input.

contact@goldmindspub.com

https://www.goldmindspub.com/urban-miyares

"Urban Miyares, nationally known public speaker, blinded Vietnam veteran, entrepreneur, social philanthropist, Alpine skier, and offshore racing sailor, chronologically tells his life story in “My Life Outside the fish Bowl.” From the mysteries surrounding his family and youth in New York City, the shocking story of being discovered alive in the Vietnam War, and challenges of returning home disabled, with a shortened life-ending diagnosis, to become an award-winning entrepreneur, and champion athlete are revealed in Urban’s memoir..."

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Sounds like this is a "print on demand" type place. I have ordered manuals from places like this and they
don't print it out until you order it....... :roll:

Vern

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”