Who is Urban Miyares?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:40 pm

He shows up on the facebook page recently for the 6/31st created by Mary Doyan some time ago.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6666527 ... 893424462/ March 7, 2014
(edit: a photo of Miyares has been put in place of the following statement which had been posted by Miyares on March 7, 2014.)Urban Miyares
Hi All -- I served in the 6-31, 9th Infantry Div. during the summer of 1968 in Vietnam and was assigned to a number of platoons during that timeframe when I was medivac'd (Aug. 1968) back to the states without any of my gear, photos, journal, etc. Hoping that someone out there remembers me and can fill in the blanks, and possibly have photos, of me in country with them. Thanks, Sgt. Urban Miyares.-- Urban@DisabledBusiness.com.[/quote]

He posts the link to the Skyball. March 14, 2014. (Edit: this comment added 2017 to show that link to skyball on facebook was posted by Miyares on date of this original post here at this site asking "Who is Urban Miyares?")

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6666527 ... 586149462/

He is somebody significant according to a google search... he has some kind of Association that helps disabled businessmen. He makes speeches. He makes local news stories. He is supposed to be a successful business entrepreneur, although I can't find the name of any company he has formed.....other than his charity. He is blind. He is diabetic. He's heroic. He is a Vietnam veteran of the 6/31st who :
Miyares lost his sight at 20, when he was an Army sergeant in the Vietnam War. “After I went into a diabetic coma during a firefight, they thought I was dead and tossed me into a body bag,” he says. An alert medic, detecting a faint heartbeat, rescued him. Miyares spent the next six months in a military hospital slowly recovering, not unlike the thousands of disabled vets he’s since helped and counseled.

It took him six months to recover? He was thought dead in a firefight with no hole in him? I don't believe it. Diabetics who pass out from an episode come to in a few hours from knowledge of the one diabetic I know who has been through such episodes. The resulting medical wisdom doesn't take months to resolve a course of diagnosis and treatment. He's helped "thousands" of disabled veterans? Know any?

Our present list of 6/31st veterans doesn't show him. Anybody believe he is what he says he is? He doesn't seem to remember being in any particular company. Anybody remember him?

I sent him an email a day or two ago and never got a response. Maybe whoever reads his mail didn't read it to him.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Delta75 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:07 am

Sounds like pure bull****. He doesn't show on our roster of almost 3,300 men. Didn't know that you could even serve if you were a diabetic.....assuming that he was on medications. Sounds like s "wannabee" trolling for business purposes.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 am

Guy might be for real but he surely didn't serve in the 6/31st if per one article read..."He was the only member of his platoon to survive the firefight". Per our records, in no firefight did we loss an entire platoon. Other articles say he served in the 9th, but can't find any references to 6/31st. Apparently his disease went undiagnosed under his episode in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 am

Ron Raymond found this story on a site that is dedicated to the subject of diabetes:

http://diatribe.us/issues/27/logbook

According to this story Miyares had his episode on August 12, 1968. No 6/31st guys were KIA on that date. According to this story a medic ....kicking body bags...and then opening the bags to feel for pulses.. saved this guy at Lai Khe. Lai Khe was out of the 6/31st AO I'd think. It used to be a Big Red One location.

How did the guy get into a body bag without going to some hospital first? Certainly if he were examined..... coma or not...he would have had a pulse when examined.

The first thing I noticed Miyares saying on Facebook at the 6-31st page:

Urban Miyares
Hi All -- I served in the 6-31, 9th Infantry Div. during the summer of 1968 in Vietnam and was assigned to a number of platoons during that timeframe when I was medivac'd (Aug. 1968) back to the states without any of my gear, photos, journal, etc. Hoping that someone out there remembers me and can fill in the blanks, and possibly have photos, of me in country with them. Thanks, Sgt. Urban Miyares.-- Urban@DisabledBusiness.com.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 am

This is beginning to look more, and more strange. From several articles about him...some say that he served in 1967...some 1968. Served only a few weeks in Vietnam before experiencing symptoms of diabetes...some thought brought on by exposure to agent orange. Agent orange to diabetes after only a few weeks? Bullshit! Served in the 9th...in the Delta but references to Lai Khe which was 90 miles NW of Saigon (Big Red 1 territory)...which, of course, is "not" in the Delta. He was the only man in his platoon to survive an ambush on Aug 12, 1968? We didn't lose anyone on that date...certainly not an entire platoon????

His entry on the Facebook???? Served in the 6/31st during the summer of 1968? Sent home in Aug 1968? But, supposedly served with "numerous" platoons in his time in country (less than 3 months). Bullshit! References his rank as SGT while articles refer to him as being sent over to Vietnam as a "Platoon Sergeant"....usually SSG (E6)...not SGT(E5).

Sounds like we need to request that one of the "wannabee" groups check this guy out. Something smells fishy.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 am

Do any of you guys belong to the VVA (Vietnam Veteran's of America)? If so, maybe you could forward this saga to them and ask them to check it out? Sounds like more and more like the rich and famous Urban Miyares might be a "wannabee"? Either that or he is terribly confused about with whom he served. Based on the information that is available in all the available articles, it certainly was "not" with the 6/31st, and it was certainly "not" with the 9th Division.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 am

Doubtful Few,
Ok, It appears we've brought out all that we thought were factors of this individual's supposed time spent with the 6/31st, let alone in Vietnam. Could be that Urban did spend time in the service, but did he really go out of the states; was he really up in Lai Khe at the supposed time that either the 9th I.D. or the 6/31st was there; did he pass out due to Diabetic Shock at such a convenient time & without a medical history of his ongoing condition; and a photo taken with him wearing a helmet liner is taken when...surely not during our BCT or AIT training? True, you will have a few coming on aboard to support Urban and his accountability & career, but I've run across this same thing some years ago.The individual was claiming to be a POW, even to the point of showing up at a VVA meeting in dress blues uniform and all his "supposed" medals. Fact: his military service never went outside the states and this matter split our VVA chapter's votes due to his claims; with upon more investigation did everyone learn he was truly an imposter!

I still belong to the VVA, but having them check out Urban is questionable, but I'll give it a shot. Due to the Freedom of Information Act I think Karl Lowe or other officers of the 31st Regiment should be able to get a background check on Urban. Until we actually see some document confirmation, DD214, Urban's list of friends will grow on FB until we have a repeat of more negative factors amongst us brothers. We're bound to come across more of these incidents and our experience in 'Nam recognizes these "wantabe" people. I'll see what info I can dig up when I connect with someone in the VVA. Until then let's not get too carried away with this matter!

Pro Patria
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:01 pm

The Association now has a handle on it. Karl Lowe has posted his opinion of this guy's story on Facebook. It yet remains to be seen how all of this is going to play out.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 pm

Lots of things about him on Youtube, too.
Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:10 pm

The problem is now trying to find out how much of his story is true and how much is fiction. Information has been found that he did graduate from Infantry NCO School and would have been just in time likely to have been sent to Vietnam just before his advertised story begins. Other than that, the real story is part mystery and part BS. Stay tuned and maybe we will find out more about how much of it is BS.....or we won't.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Could you post the items about him on facebook, here on this site?
I don't belong to facebook so have no way of reading them.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Vern, you would have had to have read some of Miyares' press and then noticed that one former Regiment Association Commander, that you've known for years, now in charge of the Facebook page, fell hook line and sinker for all of it and pinned a link to one of the man's charities to the top of the page. Then, after various conversations that were not on Facebook about how a lot of the story content wouldn't wash compared with the experiences of veterans, Col. Lowe offered a list of reasons why the stories associated with Miyares...either through his speeches or through third parties, didn't square with what people who served experienced. Serious doubt was then on the surface at Facebook after Lowe's remarks. Then the pin came out of Miyares do gooder site a day or two after Col. Lowe said what was on his mind. The former Association Commander page moderator then expressed shock at the thoughts Lowe brought up that hadn't previously occurred to him....although he is still seems to be holding out hope that all can be explained satisfactorily.

That about sums up where the Facebook 6/31st page rests on the subject. In a day or two it will sink below the horizon and be lost to further consideration and discussion I'd imagine. Out of site and out of mind.

Why don't you get a Skype account Vern, and join us tomorrow night and we could fill you in on a few of the more interesting details.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 am

This stew is still on the stove. Needs a few more ingredients of one sort or the other. Just on simmer at the moment. Still unknown if it will be served, fed to the cat, or just tossed out.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 am

All of the required ingredients for the "stew" are now in the kitchen. The cooks are now trying to determine how to add the ingredients and, when finished, decide how and when to serve the "stew". Will provide more details after the "stew" has been served.
Delta75

Urban Miyares' 6_31st Experience

Postby Delta75 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:57 pm

I am sorry to report that the 31st Regiment Association has decided "not" to pursue any action against Urban Miyares and the untrue statements that he is making, in reference to his Alpha Company 6/31st Vietnam experience, during his speaking engagements, interviews and publications. Their response follows:

"I don’t think the Association was formed or has operated in the past with the purpose of unmasking the fakers and want-to-be’s. Our purpose is clear and I believe it best to focus on providing “opportunities to unite Regimental veterans.” At this time, the Association will not pursue this issue. Whatever action you take or deem appropriate is a private matter. Of course, you can continue the work with Fake Warriors, Lost Valor or others that are organized to do this type of investigation."
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed May 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Well... that tells us what the 31st Association's position is on the matter. They are above indignation over false and unlikely claims relative to service in Alpha Company of the 6th Battalion of the 31st Infantry made in public speeches and in the media.

I've edited this post from what I said as a first reaction because of a statement that I now think, upon second thought, was unfair to the Association.

The notion that comes to me is that since the story this man often tells concerns a specific company of our specific battalion on a specific date, shouldn't that concern all of us who served with the battalion? Shouldn't we care that there are a number of things plainly not true and others very unlikely to have happened in the story he tells often publicly and in the media ?
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Niner...it appears that there was initially some level of concern with this issue; however, like most things. over time the concern is lessened as more immediate concerns take priority. I can guarantee you that in addition to yourself, Karl Lowe and I are still very concerned. As you know, this issue is still being worked completely external to and with no reference to the Association. Once we have taken this to an agreed upon conclusion, a complete summary will be posted on this website.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:11 am

So... it is probably over. But..... apparently........ Urban didn't go to the last Regiment Association gathering...at least so far as I know. Maybe he will modify his story by picking another company, in another battalion, as his company of record......although there's not much reason too....considering the official 31st Regiment position.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 am

Looks like Urban Miyares has disappeared??
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Out of sight is out of mind. But he hasn't gone anywhere.

From a comment on his facebook page it looks like he is on the radio every Thursday.
MISSED A "CLOSE UP ON SAN DIEGO BUSINESS" RADIO SHOW EPISODE?
We're on every Thursday, from 11 am to 12 noon on KFSD 1450 AM (San Diego)... and on FinancialNewsandTalk.com -- with your hosts Barry Waxler, Andrea Kaye, and (on alternating weeks) Urban Miyares.
Listen to all the previous shows and interviews with your favorite San Diego small businesses at
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQuBpon ... ity_view=3
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Looking at his disabled businessperson website, Miyares shows no scheduled "events" on his calendar. If one is posted, at a later date, consideration might be given to notifying him that an investigation has shown his claims, of having his platoon wiped out on Aug 12, 1968 and of being placed into a body bag for a period of 2 days, to be untrue. As a matter of fact, no one who has been contacted from Alpha Company, Summer of 1968, even remembers Miyares. This includes the company commander, the company first sergeant, the ranking company medic, the company clerk, the company supply clerk, as well as several other infantry men. All of the before mentioned personnel say that the incidents described by Miyares never happened. His claims of having his platoon wiped out can be disproven by simply checking the 6/31st Wall. The most Alpha men lost in the summer of 1968, on a single day (Aug 7 and not Aug 12), was 3, and this was for the entire company. A further check of the 6/31st Wall shows that at no point in the Vietnam War was an entire platoon from the 6/31st "wiped out". The most being 6 men lost on Jan 12 - 13, 1969 from Delta Company, 1st platoon. As to his claims of being placed into a body bag and 2 days later being found alive in Lai Khe by a 1st Infantry Division medic: A review of this claim, with medical personnel from the 6/31st, also find this claim to be untrue. Firstly, if he were truly in a diabetic coma, per medical personnel, he could not have survived two days in a body bag in the heat and humidity of the Mekong Delta. Secondly, no 6/31st personnel would have ever been medevac'd to Lai Khe which was a base camp of the 1st Infantry Division and well outside the 9th Infantry Division (to which the 6/31st was assigned) area of operation. All 6/31st personnel would have been medevac'd to either Dong Tam, Tan An, or Long Binh/Saigon, depending on the severity of their injuries.

A review of Miyares military records, made available via the Freedom of Information Act, does show that Miyares was assigned to Alpha Company for a period of a 3 - 4 weeks in the Summer of 1968. According to statements made by Miyares, he was very sick, from un-diagnosed diabetes, for several weeks, when first assigned to his platoon, thus he was unable to go to the field. He stated that the Aug 12, 1968 incident occurred on his first operation in the field. This, therefore, might explain why no one from Alpha Company remembers Miyares and why Miyares remembers no one from his time in Vietnam; because, apparently he served with his platoon for only a few days. The details of his military service are provided below:

1 Aug 1967: Service Date
6 Oct 1967: Graduated Basic Training, Ft Jackson, SC
15 Dec 1967: Graduated AIT, Ft Polk, LA
17 April 1968: Graduated NCOC, Ft Benning, GA
20 April 1968: Assigned as Sqd Leader (OJT), Ft Polk, LA
26 July 1968: Assigned as Team Leader, Alpha Company, 6/31st, 9th Infantry Division.
23 Aug 1968: Enroute to CONUS, VA Hospital, Phoenixville, PA.
27 Dec 1968: Discharge Date

Decorations and Awards: National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Sharpshooter Badge W/Rifle Bar.

Note: Per his military records, Miyares at no time, as he has claimed, served as either squad leader, platoon sergeant or platoon leader. Apparently he was assigned only as a Team Leader, within a squad, for his short time in the platoon. In addition, there is no indication that he served with multiple units while in Vietnam, which he has stated as the reason for his not being able to remember either units or personnel. Again, per his military records, Miyares served only with Alpha Company, and for only 3 - 4 weeks.

To-date, the investigation has not identified the details leading up to Miyares' "enroute to CONUS"; however, based on statements made by Miyares during several of his speaking engagements, the assumption is that he was probably medevac'd to Long Binh/Saigon due to a diabetic (coma?) episode. This episode did not, however, occur during an operation where his entire platoon was "wiped out", nor, during the medevac, was he ever placed into a body bag. The two days that he seems to believe were missing between his medevac and when he awoke in the hospital were, in all probability, due to the medication that he had been provided, and certainly "not" to his being discovered alive, in Lai Khe, inside a body bag by a 1st Infantry Division medic. The medic in Lai Khe may well have discovered someone alive in a body bag, but it was not Miyares.

Some consideration might be given to posting this information above to the 6/31st Facebook website from which his claims originated.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Great summation of the evidence you have collected, Delta75. It would surprise me greatly to see your report posted any place but here.....sad to say.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Urban Miyares has been provided with the 6/31st "investigation team" findings, and he appears to be very appreciative of the information provided. Please see his response below. I suppose that only time will tell...or maybe I should say "only his next speaking engagement or interview" will tell. :)

It should be noted that this information was provided to Urban in more of a personal manner via a document that expanded on each of the issues identified within the investigation data. This document was 4 pages in length thus the reason for it not being posted here.

Urban's Response Follows:

I want to thank you and all the others so much for filling in many pieces to what happened and may have happened. This is just great, and it addresses quite a bit.

There are a couple of items I truly question, but they are really incidental...I only had hoped that someone, from the last platoon I was with, was around to just talk to them/him about what he had remembered of my time with them.

Guaranteed my public speaking and telling about Vietnam will not include what others had told me, as I've always felt most uncomfortable in telling this story (which first began publicly in 1995), as I had no proof of what actually happened with me being sick prior to passing out in the field.

Hopefully the dreams will subside with this information as this is the first validation of what probably happened, and I can sure live with it. So sad I didn't know this years ago, as it's been baggage I've been carrying for a long time.

Again...cant' thank you enough for all your work and persistence with this matter; it now makes drafting my autobiography so miuch easier.
Urban
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Old Urban is still around and has a contract to publish his autobiography according to his facebook page. This is his latest version of his Vietnam experience. Notice he has cleaned it up a bit and doesn't say he was actually in a firefight but mumbles over it like he was hearing incoming fire as he was passing out....which leaves room to think maybe he imagined the firefight. His body bag story remains though and the woman who interviews him doesn't question him although at the beginning of her opening remarks states his "buddies were ambushed" and he was found face down perpetuating the bullshit story..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfzX6HtS7s
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Niner...as you know, I'm not a Facebook person but isn't there someway for someone who is on Facebook to post a rebuttal to his body bag story on his Facebook page?

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”