Scam email is making the rounds using emails from here

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Scam email is making the rounds using emails from here

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:13 am

I got this message forwarded to me by Jerry White that came to him. I won't mention the person's name who sent it.

Rcvd a scam letter this AM purportedly from Capt Robt Kendrick in Afghanistan asking me to help him clear $12 million out of the country. Said he got my address from the 6/31 website Guestbook. Signs it:
Capt. Robert Kendrick United States Military Army. Afghanistan
with Email at robkenarmy@yahoo.com

Scam Email came from: yenanga2008@hotmail.com

Don't know what can be done @ it, but felt I should report it so steps can be taken.

I am going to, as step one, ask the NSA to drone bomb the scammer as a personal favor. However, since the NSA is probably reading everybodies email they may already be on the case.

In the mean time, joking aside, realize that if your email address shows anywhere, for any reason, some spambot scammer is going to find it eventually. If you want your email erased from the guest book and the Roster I'll sadly do it. However, I run two websites and get all the email addressed to me in three email addresses that are used every day. I delete crap emails every day that come in with the good. Everybody with an active email account gets scam email every day I would imagine. I think I'm smart enough to know crap by the smell before I ever open the package it comes in and delete without opening. But even when I'm fooled and open a bogus email there is no way I'm going to fall for any scam remotely like the one that this man had proposed to him. I would image everybody reading this is as smart as me in this regard.

I strongly believe the potential good in being open to those we want to re-connect with from our Vietnam war past outweighs the negative possibilities of some scam proposed through a visible email address. The only alternative is to run and hide. I think few would want to take that alternative.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Scam email has caused one person a concern

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Looks like this spambot crap source is making a project out of it. Here is the text of one I got forwarded to me just now from someone who got one too. Believe me...if I could strangle him I would.

Dear Friend

I am sorry to encroach into your privacy in this manner,I found you
listed
in the 6thofthe31st.com Guestbook directory here in Afghanistan,
I find it
pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business.

I want to solicit your attention to receive money on my behalf.

I am Capt. Robert Kendrick, an officer in the US Army,and also a West
Point Graduate presently serving in the Military with the 82nd Air
Borne
Division Peace keeping force in Kabul, Afghanistan.

I am desperately in need of assistance and I have summoned up courage to
contact you.

I am presently in Afghanistan and I found your contact particulars
in an internet address journal.

I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum
of $12,570,000(Twelve million Five Hundred and Seventy Thousand USD) to
the States or any safe country of your choice, as far as I can be
assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service
here.

This is no stolen money and there are
no dangers involved.

Actually it is part of funds that we discovered from the residence
of fleeing Opium farmers in Afghanistan.

If you can be trusted,i will explain further when i get a response
from you.

Please ensure to reply me Immediately if you want to help me.

Respectfully,
Capt. Robert Kendrick
United States Military Army. Afghanistan.
E-mail: capt.robkenarmy@yahoo.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Scam email is making the rounds using emails from here

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 pm

It looks like ...from a google search... if you get one of these....

In Outlook Express, you can create a new message and drag and drop the phishing email into the new message. Address the message to phishing-report@us-cert.gov and send it.

I tried to send a report to Yahoo but not having the actual email and only using what was sent to me I don't know if I sent enough information and the form I was presented didn't allow for explanation. As to the hotmail it would seem that the person getting the email would have to use the method stated above.

In the long run I have a feeling any phishing source would have multiple access channels available so stopping one would not of itself offer much chance of ultimately ending it for as long as it wants to run. But... we will see. I'm checking with my website expert.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 am

Ok... I got one today. I sent it on to the above phishing reporting site. When I got it, it was already marked by my email as spam.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Mon May 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Ha! The joke is on you. There is a guy in Nigeria that is real royalty and he is going to send
me $3 million and it only cost me $225 in transfer fees, it should be here any day now.
I can hardly wait............ :mrgreen:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”