Anybody want to donate to the expense of the site

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Anybody want to donate to the expense of the site

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm

John Bayer made a donation and tonight Vern Weed made a donation. I appreciate their help in paying the cost of the site. "The site" is everything, not just this message board... The Wall page, the guest book, the timeline, the photo album, the Roster. If anybody else wants to contribute just use the Donate Paypal link in the top of the message board page. It doesn't cost all that much to keep this site running, thanks to my son doing the heavy lifting, but it does have an actual cost factor. If anybody wants to contribute a few bucks I'll be appreciative and it will be used to keep the site going on into the future.

The paypal link says contributions are directed to Milsurp After Hours. I use that one account for both sites. If you donate you can say it's for 6/31. If I recognize the name I'll know that's what you intended without saying.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Anybody want to donate to the expense of the site

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Mike Kirby made a nice donation today. I appreciate it Mike.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:33 am

Well...looks like two FO's and one infantry friend that I knew in Vietnam contributed to the support of the site for this year. I guess that tells me that few people value it as a step above Facebook. Next year I'll think a little deeper about continuing it.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Niner..........as soon as I get back to the states a donation will be on its way.

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:23 am

Jerry, there are two kinds of donations in my way of thinking. One is in "money" to defray the physical expense...which varies..but is about what I'd piss away on a couple of milsurps or a trumpet or two for the collections...and I got more now of both to actually justify acquiring more of either. This site is about the cheapest of my hobbies. The site cost for 2014 has been covered by the three donations I did get plus some from me..... already. Then there is the other important donation. That's the donation of "value" which comes from adding content to the site. When people sign the guestbook....once... that adds value. When people make a remark remembering someone killed in Vietnam in the Wall page...that's of more value. When someone posts some thought or question in the message board...that adds value to the site too. When someone joins the chats on Thursday night that adds value. When somebody adds photos for the album that donates content of value as well.

Jerry you have donated more to this site over the years...in both value of content and actual money than anybody else. I appreciate it. You can sit this one out on site dollar expense. You've carried much more than your share of the load for the last ten years.

That remark I made about people now valuing Facebook more is true to how I feel about it. All you have to do is put in "31st Regiment Association" or " 6-31st Infantry" into the Facebook search and you will see the post strings. Of course, it's all pretty much "look at me" posts of one sort or the other. You will see various political comment links and support our troops remarks. Plenty of women and people from other battalions and other times and places with their remarks. But...there are no memories of those we left behind long ago...like the Wall page. There is no "Roster" of people by company, year, platoon, with latest acquired email address to seek out for contact. There is no timeline of events of our distant past. There are no photo albums from Vietnam arranged by company. there are no serious discussions about anything.... like the one we had here last year about the Association. But....maybe nobody wants to think twice about any of this anymore.

Next year I'll take stock again and see which way the wind is blowing.....if I'm not among the ones who die before another year passes.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”