A suggestion about the 31st Association March 2013

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: A suggestion about the 31st Association March 2013

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:26 am

Ok...I suggest that somebody put a link in the website with an email address that provides a contact that is responsible for passing on information of deaths in a timely manner to people the decease served with.

What first got me off on this subject can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3254
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 pm

To my knowledge, he was not a member of the Association. I did not receive anything on him. If his name was there, then Karl found it somehow. Either he found it on your message board, or someone sent him an email.

I like the idea of a link on the site. Please put that on your list. We can absolutely do that as soon as the web site is back up.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 pm

The first I knew of that particular death was in reading his name in the list of the deceased in the newsletter which came out shortly after his funeral. I posted on my messageboard after the newsletter notice and a google search of his obit. I then notified a few guys from his platoon that I had contact with. How the notice got to the newsletter I don't know. I just assumed somebody in his family notified the Association. And.... why should it matter if a former 6/31st soldier is a member of the Association or not to pass along notice of his death? The service provided would be to the remaining live members who have paid their dues and would be interested to know in order to pay their respects.

1st Sgt Coppler came to many reunions and was as solid Association supporter as there is in existence. I found out about and posted a notice of his death after being informed by Jim Tierney. Top was the 1st sgt whom our present commander served under too. Sad that his notice wasn't known by the association and passed on.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3299
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm

It does not matter if someone is a member or not. It's just that I do not receive any notices unless they are someone we send a newsletter to, so then the family may have my address.

Also, we post the names of all former 31st soldier who die in the Taps section, if we are informed of it. Not just members. When you mentioned Buxton, I looked his name up on my list to see if I was the one sending info to Karl. Since he was not a member, I was not in that loop.

I don't know how or when Karl got the name to add to the Taps.

I'll say again, I think your comment about adding a link to the site will be a good thing, and will help to keep all informed. I don't see the Association taking a significant role in sending out any sort of immediate death notice by email or snail mail. Most likely, we will post the info on the web site.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Well...if it's too much trouble to pass along information about deaths when you know before the funeral pardon my suggesting it.

What about that thing Mary had one time collecting donations for sending flowers to the 6/31st members funerals when they passed on? Must have died when Mary did. Of course that was on her site that seems to be gone at the moment. Nothing ever to do with the Association anyway.

Mary did send out flowers now and again. I went to one funeral with a spray. Herman Spoto's funeral. The banner on the flowers had Mary's site name on it as having sent it. Herman was another one that was a regular at reunions.
Attachments
DSC01192.jpg
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Mary did that on her own. Some of us donated money to her for the flowers.

Herman was a good guy.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am

Reference:

4.8 Once every three years, if possible, the reunion shall be held at a location proximate to an active duty unit of the regiment, at a time coordinated with the unit commander." The reason being they are looking forward to adding to their membership with the new blood of recent active duty soldiers and this should further hamper the rotation of sections of the country for reunions...unless Syracuse becomes the standard for East of the Mississippi.

I would suggest that we alternate the reunion, if possible, every four years: East (which could be Ft Drum each year), South, Midwest, and West. That would have us at a military location once every 4 years.....which would align to a 4 year "hitch" in the Army. I certainly understand the intent of the reunion being held at a military site with an active 31st Regiment unit; however, since it took most of us 25 years to reach the point where we even thought about trying to locate our Brothers, I am not sure if the results will align to the intent. Since I like to use the phrase, "the proof is in the pudding", maybe we can "check the pudding" by looking at the present 31st Regiment Association roster and see how many of our Iraq/Afghan Brothers have joined the 31st Regiment Association, after their leaving the service, since 2001 (12 years). Just curious.

Even if the results are not what we would have hoped to see, I personally see no problem with the reunion being located at a military site once every 4 years. If for some reason a member doesn't like "military post" reunions, then they can just take the year off and attend the following year's reunion.

Vin..Orlando seems like a great reunion location..can we have it at your new house? :D I don't believe that we have ever had a reunion in FL?????
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am

For those thinking about these questions, and would like to see what some other Regiment Association does. Take a look at this website. It's what a first class Association website looks like. See that column of choices to left. If you fish around in them you will come to their bylaws. A few things are worth noting for both what they do say and what they don't say. I'll post a few examples.

The 506 Association. http://www.506infantry.org/

The officers of the Association shall be a Chairperson, the President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice Presidents.
Notice, no appointed officers. The Secretary and Treasurer are more accountable to the members and are not appointed. Even though, unlike the 31st secretary, which the commander picks, the 31st treasurer is hand picked by whomever runs things and rubber stamped by however many show up at a single 31st business meeting.

Here are a few others:

3.2.2 Manner of Casting Votes. Voting may be by voice or ballot, provided that any election of a member of the Board of Directors must be by ballot if demanded by any Regimental or Affiliate member before the voting begins.

3.4.2 Solicitation of Written Ballots. The Secretary shall distribute one written ballot to each member entitled to vote; such ballots shall be mailed or delivered in the manner required by Section 3.1.5 for giving notice of special meetings. All solicitations of votes by ballot shall: (1) indicate the number of responses needed to meet the quorum requirement; (2) state the percentage of approvals necessary to pass the measure(s); and (3) specify the time by which the ballot must be received in order to be counted. Each ballot so distributed shall: (1) set forth the proposed action, and (2) provide the members an opportunity to specify approval or disapproval of each proposal, if more than one proposal is set forth.

The 3.1.5 clause from the above reference

3.1.5 Manner of Giving Notice. Notice of any meeting of members shall be given either personally or by first-class mail, electronic mail, facsimile, or other written communication, charges prepaid, addressed to each member either at the address of that member appearing on the books of the Association or the address given by the member to the Association for the purpose of notice.

While you are at their website keep fishing around until you find their newsletter section. Check out any of them. Notice they have more than one reporter and they report based on battalions and eras.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am

The suggestion list has been made. See the other global announcement and sign onto it if you agree.
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

All,

I have received the list of suggestions and have forwarded them to the Officers and Board members of the Association. I've requested that a discussion on them be put on the agenda for the General Membership meeting scheduled in Aug.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am

I have received the list of suggestions and have forwarded them to the Officers and Board members of the Association. I've requested that a discussion on them be put on the agenda for the General Membership meeting scheduled in Aug.
Vin Zike

Got a report from one who attended the reunion this morning:

Robert,
Notes from the reunion: 1) At the general membership meeting, it was announced that someone had made proposals in the business meeting, and the leadership was following up on those proposals. No details were given. 2) Delta won the attendance trophy with (I think) 26. 3) The Air Force National Museum tour was excellent. 4) I enjoyed spending time with old comrades.
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Robert,
Your suggestions for changes within the Association were presented to the Board of Directors on Thursday evening (Aug 9), followed by a discussion on them.
The comments on the timeliness of the newsletter was dismissed outright as being incorrect.
Location and timing of the reunions was discussed in depth, and I believe the Association will move to make changes in the timing and locations. Ft Drum is already well into planning for next year, and due to the 100 year anniversary of the regiment, again in 2017. Sept & Oct were suggested as possible months for future reunions.
The responsibilities of the Membership Chair and Regional Directors were already being addressed by the leadership, so your ideas were added to those discussions.
Voting accessibility was discussed and they are looking into ways to implement something that will give non attending members better access.
Additional tasks for the Association (like providing health information) will have to wait until we have addressed other issues. As an organization of volunteers, we need people to step up and take on responsibilities. As it is, the core of those volunteers is still small, but growing slowly.
The web site, and all our IT requirements are being addressed. We are seeking out the right person to lead that effort, and are ready to commit the funds needed to do it right and professionally.
A vote secured reimbursement funds for some of the searches, but security issues with SSNs has us looking into how we can do that without violating the privacy of our members or those we are seeking out.
All your points were read to the BOD, and your suggestions are being placed in the meeting of our general membership so all members can weigh in. Your comment about the person sharing your views who "after a night with his Delta brothers" won't bother to attend the Business Meeting exemplifies the problem we have with participation. Offering suggestions to make us better is good. Actually rolling up ones sleeves and helping to accomplish that is what is really needed.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:00 pm

All your points were read to the BOD, and your suggestions are being placed in the meeting of our general membership so all members can weigh in.

Thanks for the statement, Vin. To recap the history. You sent the suggestions to the board last April. You met the other day with the board at the reunion. But, unlike your statement, the report I got says none of the suggestions were mentioned at the actual general meeting. You seem to be saying the suggestions were presented for discussion......or do you mean at next years reunion there may be a discussion? Well....what really happened at this last meeting in your view?

Looks like from the information you have just given that the board accomplished nothing at the recent reunion.

If you want people to roll up their sleeves and help you, first have to do something to ask for help in doing. You have to have a clear task in mind and be all of one mind at the authority end as to what you want done before you can expect to get anyone to volunteer to help, seems to me.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm

I am confused.......just what was discussed at the General Membership meeting. Vin seems to be saying that the suggestions that we provided "were" presented and discussed in the General Membership meeting; however, the inputs that we received from others who attended the General Membership meeting seem to indicate that nothing directly related to these suggestions was presented or discussed in detail, and that the only statement related to the suggestions was something along the lines of "our leadership is presently reviewing some suggestions that have been provided"????????????????????

Are minutes from this meeting available?

Jerry
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:09 am

Several of the suggested item were taken on by the BOD on Thursday evening. Most of the items on the list were actions for the BOD to work out, and not for the general membership to deal with. One item, the comments on the publishing of the newsletter, was dismissed, as incorrect (by me, Robert for reasons I discussed several time in this message board). Karl is interested in finding someone to take over writing the newsletter, so the content could change, if someone steps up and offers to take that over. Any volunteers? The duties of the membership chair, the regional managers, and others were discussed in further detail, based on the suggestions. I'm sure you will see some changes. The web site is being dealt with. We have someone working on it and should have a new site up and running shortly. We are working on recovering data that is locked up with passwords. The direction we are going with the web site should work for all of us. Remote voting was argued in favor, and the BOD is looking into ways to do that. Additionally, the BOD is setting up a quarterly telephone conference meeting, to deal with many of these topics.

Those that related to you what was discussed failed to mention topics that were discussed. For example, there was a discussion on the scheduling of where and when the reunions would take place. A vote was taken to get a consensus on when the best time was to hold the reunion. Moving away from the Aug timeframe was strongly supported, so action will be taken there.

Locations were also discussed. Next year is already locked in at Drum. Sacramento is 2015, but will likely be moved to later Sept, or Oct. Ft Drum will be for 2016, only due to the 100 year anniversary of the Regiment. The 4/31 at Drum will drive our plans. After that, I see locations as you have suggested.

Other topics were discussed. Keep in mind, the time for the general membership meeting is only an hour. Membership would not support a three or four hour meeting.

Did the four page list you sent get read into the record, NO. It was announced that it was received and would be put with the minutes and available to all members.

Did the list get acted on, YES. And to your credit, it was overall well received. It will generate changes, and , more will be considered.

I'm sure minutes will be available shortly.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

Sounds good to me.

Thanks Vin.

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:47 am

Now that's better. The first statement read like the Association board and prime leadership players were continuing to kick all of the cans further down the road like they always do.

Seems like to me though, that something should have been said in the general meeting about at least some of it. For instance, if you want some change in the newsletter the way it's written you should have mentioned it. Maybe somebody would have suggested, for instance, that each battalion should get a volunteer correspondent to write a section about their group. Maybe....just maybe... somebody would have stepped up to volunteer if only out of fear their group would be left out.

When you said in your first statement; "The web site, and all our IT requirements are being addressed. We are seeking out the right person to lead that effort, and are ready to commit the funds needed to do it right and professionally" is now changed to " The web site is being dealt with. We have someone working on it and should have a new site up and running shortly." That's a horse of a totally different color. Someone working on the website is a lot different from someone being looked for to work on the website.

Incidentally, when you say you didn't mention the things the board was talking about at the general meeting because "Membership would not support a three or four hour meeting", how would you know that in advance? Why does the board see their role as being the ones to decide all the important business for the general membership and then lay it out to them as the new law and order?

To give my answer to my own question, I think the boards long standing chief problem is that most of our elected officers, and all of our long standing perennial appointed senior retired military officers, coming out of distinguished military careers, are long experienced in telling the men ranked under them what to do and are not geared to asking for thoughts from a society where everybody has a equal membership status and equal right to offer a point of view...and more importantly... expect to be entitled to express a point of view.

Oh... I'm glad the jury found in Vin's favor that my statements about the fluctuating news letter were judged "incorrect". :D
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 pm

I think this was the most meaningful string produced on the site in 2013. The lack of results is painfully obvious. But... I for one......don't care what the Association does from now on. I'm done making suggestions.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm

I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed ....but now that the 31st site is back working, at long last, the posting of the minutes of the last meetings left something out.

http://www.31stinfantry.org/association ... g-minutes/

Did the four page list you sent get read into the record, NO. It was announced that it was received and would be put with the minutes and available to all members.

Fat chance of that happening would be my guess. But....looks like few care one way or the other about it anyway. :roll:
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:23 am

With a reunion coming up in August, I thought I'd put a pin in this string again. I think the members of the 6th of the 31st who will attend should be reminded of this string from 2013. If any of you atttending are interested in any of the suggestions I would hope you would stand up and say so when it comes to the "New Business" in the general meeting as I believe it highly unlikely you will get any discussion from the planned agenda.

In the meantime, the site they created is minimal at best. No guest book. No message board. No new announcements. No obituary notices. No updates on the next reunion even. It's only a night light.

Karl Lowe, who seemed to be the stabilizing power behind whatever organization existed in the Association is now caught up in serious health problems and has had to remove himself from an active roll in the organization. We have no champion in the Board of Directors. If anybody in the official leadership is going to step up out of the shadows and take control....and let people know he has control...... and actually do something positive ....now would be a good time.

More than ever I believe when the 6/31st started coming together a dozen years ago , in the new age of the internet opening the way, we should have started our own organization and avoided the Regiment Association altogether. It was the easy path to take....but the wrong one it seems. The early enthusiasm and interest in connections and reunion has gone cold and the long dead leadership of the Regiment Association hasn't helped it. The only chance remaining is if someone at the closely held leadership end decides to do something constructive.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Niner...I wouldn't hold my breathe as to anything constructive coming out of the reunion business/leadership meeting. We need to just expect "business as usual".

BTW: Our new commander (Bill Owen) has yet to respond to my email inquiry concerning the new 31st Regiment Association website. Compared to all of the other Vietnam unit websites that I have visited, the 31st Regiment Association website is clearly the most inferior.

I am afraid that you are correct; that is, without Karl's direct involvement, the future for the 31st Regiment Association looks bleak indeed.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 pm

The actual list as presented to the Association is in this string:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3370

I've now put a "sticky" back in it too.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Niner....our new commander's (Bill Owen) response to an inquiry as to the 31st Regiment Association position on exposing wannabee's, stated quite clearly the purpose of the 31st Regiment Association; that is, paraphrasing......"the sole purpose of the 31st Regiment Association is to facilitate the joining together of our Brothers via the yearly reunions scheduled by the Association". Although some of us would hope for more, it appears that we are "beating a dead horse" to expect anything more from the Association. At least we can rest easy in knowing that we made a valiant attempt at suggesting improvements to the Association, only to find them ignored; therefore, I would suggest that we simply accept the fact that the Association "is what it is", and discontinue with any future recommendations that we might consider, understanding that if they were made, they too would be ignored.
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 am

Just to toss this in, I've reminded the leadership of the suggestions. Keep in mind, I'm not in a leadership position.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm

If any changes were made at the last reunion.....2014..... no notice was made of them in their news letter that followed it. Their new website is frozen and not functioning. Nothing seems to have changed.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”