A suggestion about the 31st Association March 2013

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: A suggestion about the 31st Association March 2013

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 am

Vin, I'm negative because I have never wanted to be a cheerleader for what looks to me like an organization that just limps along. If nobody ever examines what is happening and never tries new ways of doing things then what do you think happens? If you keep doing things the same way, you are going to keep getting the same results. And what we have now is an Association that has a reunion someplace every year and produces an occaisonal newsletter that is mostly another chapter in Karl Lowe's history book. That's the sum total of what it does year in and year out.

And this statement interests me:

Ron, keep in mind that a just over 10 years ago, a small group had control of the Association. During that time, things were run very loose, minimal records, no voting, and no real rules. Tens of thousands of dollars evaporated. Since Karl Lowe took an interest and got others involved, that has all changed. We are bound by law and honor to use the Association money according to the by laws and constitution. I think those old ways have given the Association a reputation that still makes some believe it is run the same way today.

Lots is still unknown to the general membership about how the leadership does the business of the organization. Take that great trinket robbery in San Antonio while you were Commander of the Regiment. Nobody ever said how much actual money value that involved.....although you reportedly said somewhere that it was "thousands". Nobody seems to have bothered to have gone after the "known" thieves or recovered anything. And after your time another Commander, Col. Corson, decided the bylaws were all out of date and suspended them indefinately. And I've yet to see a proper profit and loss statement that anybody would find complete. And...... I don't say this because I think anybody is a crook. I just think the leadership decides what it does and doesn't want the members to know as a matter of what they assume is a need to know only for the top insiders.

As to how to run your site, you need some professional help. Maybe Karl Lowe's son can be brought back long enough to put things back in order for free. Once it is back together somebody with modest ability could do the daily upkeep.
dmagaha

Postby dmagaha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

The various posts to date are thoughtful and constructive. They deserve to be brought forward. I haven't attended a reunion since San Antonio and am unsure when I will be able to attend again. To have a method of engaging the elected leadership of the 31st Association for the purpose of improving the involvement of those who can not or do not attend the reunions would be a great improvement. To have a mission statement (regardless of how self-serving it sounds) would be good. To have accessable bylaws and a valid constitution seem appropriate.

Thanks to Robert Stewart and Jerry White for their spearheading efforts to promote and improve the 31st Association.

dmgaha
Bravo Uniform 6th/31st
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am

The Association has changed a lot in the past 20 years.

What we have IS an Association that has a business meeting every year, with a general membership meeting, and an organized reunion for it's members.

As stated before, we mail out a newsletter EVERY quarter (NOT JUST OCCASIONALLY), which includes information provided by it's members, new member names, death notices, quartermaster store item, some history, and the contact information for the leadership. We also include other items that members may request. The newsletter is written by Karl Lowe. He will likely pass that responsibility in the near future, and someone else will have to take it up. when he does, the content and format may change considerably. If you want anything included or have suggestions for the newsletter, email them to Karl. Do you provide any input for the newsletters?

You have never seen a complete financial statement because you have not attended a general membership meeting AND asked to see it. It is presented every year. A summary is usually sent out in the following quarters newsletter, but not always. It is public record, and is maintained by the Treasurer. This is not something any organization would mail out to every member, but is available to any member who has an interest and asks. Have you asked?

The problem in San Antonio was not covered up. We just decided it would be very negative to have the police involved. The main reason was that a specific individual announced in the meeting room, that the items were being given away and anyone could take them. It was a family member, so many of the people taking things were unaware of the reality. We addressed it with the people involved and any losses that were not recovered were made up for by sales from the QM store. Of course, all this was discussed in the general assembly meeting in San Antonio, and is on the record. Were you at that meeting?

Carlson was not a commander after me. He was a commander before me. The only thing that I know was suspended during his time was the term limit for the Commander. that was mainly because no one else wanted the position. I took it after him.

It appears that you have a lot of very negative issues based on either miss information, or scuttlebutt. We make every effort to be totally transparent. If you have a question, or concern, ask us. We won't always agree, but we are always willing to talk and disclose.

I see your long term attacks on the Association more like those of a heckler, not a cheerleader. If you want change, get involved with the Association. Come to the meetings, take on some responsibility, volunteer to do a leadership position, ... in short, help out!
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 am

Are you sure Corson was before you? Take a look at this page at your website...toward the bottom. I think you confuse him with Carlson. It was Corson who suspended the bylaws until his hand picked man came up with some new ones.....as I remember.

http://www.31stinfantry.org/association_leadership.htm

And you are right.... I am just another asshole heckler and I'll try to hold back futher bickering in this string. I'll try and give you that much relief. And... I'm really glad you are responding. You are the only one in a official postion that has ever posted at this site in the last ten years while holding an official position. You did leave all upset about something ....but you at least made a visit or two before that unhappy occasion when I provoked it over something I can't remember at the moment. I appreciate your paying me and my site as much attention as you have in this string. That in itself is a good thing. There is some conversation where there has been none before.

Any reason why the Commander isn't saying anything? Chuck used to know his way to this site. He's not banned from posting.
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 am

ALL:

As posted on 31stinfantry.org, for ALL TO SEE!!!!!

Constitution (as updated in 2010): http://www.31stinfantry.org/HTMLobj-816 ... iation.pdf

By Laws (as updated in 2010): http://www.31stinfantry.org/HTMLobj-817 ... iation.pdf

For historical records of business meetings, please to the PUBLIC POSTING on 31stinfantry.org, Association tab, then documents tab, then the next page selection: http://www.31stinfantry.org/annual_meeting_minutes.htm

There you will find, available to ANYONE, all these documents that have been some are suggesting are not available or hidden, including our financial reports.

Also, all the newsletters up until last September, are published there for anyone.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I can't speak to why others aren't weighing in (e.g., Chuck). Perhaps because I have agreed to be the conduit between this ad hoc (no disrespect implied with that term) committee, and the Association. I'm trying not to let opinions outweigh facts here. I will confirm to you that I sent the entire leadership an email discussing this message board topic, and encouraged them to go to it and read what is being posted. I seriously doubt that may if any of them will get into the frey. Remember, it is a topic for your readers to express information and suggestions to the Association. Not visa versa.

Carlson was before me. Corson was after me. Look at the dates on the chart your referencing.

Corson did not suspend the governing documents, he convened a committee of none leadership general members to review them and submit changes, where warranted. The took a year. The effort was announced one year, read into the record, and voted on in a general membership meeting. Sorry, there is just no conspiracy there.

I agree with you on one point..... you can be an asshole. I can too, and have been that way many times in my life. I am removing negative-ness from my retire years, so I'm just not going to get into it with anyone on an emotional level. I'm making the very honest effort here to get the facts to your readers so they can make very informed and thought out suggestions. If your readers do not weigh in, it may be because they are mulling all this over, or are just in agreement or disagreement with what others have said. Also remember what I said about reunions. A few hundred attend, but only a couple dozen come down from their rooms to attend the membership meetings, which determine the direction of Association. It is hard to encourage enthusiasum. It is also possible that the several hundred that actually attend the reunions like them the way they are.

So, from one AH to another, don't "shut up", but do organize the thoughts and opinions expressed or garnered from this dialogue, and get me something I can present to the membership at the next reunion.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Looks like Corson's changes broke the surface under Tapp's term. When they were added to the website is unclear. Some of those financial statements were added to after the original post to show some detail of the outgo along with the income. I think this because I had remarked on how lacking they were at one time. The page two to one of them was added sometime in the last year or two I think. And the adjustments in the bylaws were never really brought to anybodies attention in any newsletter that I know of. But it's there now on the site true enough. And the major thing that changed was the extended term for the major officers to two years. I went through it and noticed the following that is the same old same old. But some of it is not followed. Board members don't seek new members and membership chairmen don't mail out any invitations to the new found....at least I've seen no evidence of it.

Officers of the Association shall include a Commander, Vice Commander, elected to serve for a period of two years, renewable in two year increments, by vote of attending members in good standing at the Association’s annual reunion.

Ideally, Vice Commanders are elected with the intent of moving up to replace the Commander when the latter’s term expires,

The Membership Chair shall recruit members of the Association from among veterans of the Regiment and their families by direct mailing to known veterans and advertising the regiment’s annual reunions in publications and web-sites likely to be visited by veterans of the Regiment or their families.

The Commander shall appoint a Secretary to record the Association’s business decisions at annual executive committee and general membership business meetings and prepare notes on those decisions for publication in the next newsletter and posting on the Association’s web site

All Board members are expected to actively seek new members within their assigned region.

Regional Directors are expected to attend annual reunions but may be excused by the Senior Director, as long as they are able to vote by mail or email and attend at least one meeting every three years.
SECTION IV.

Nominations for the reunion site shall be made in person or in writing by an Association member resident near the intended reunion site who is willing to serve as the reunion coordinator.

The coordinator must live in or near the metropolitan area in which the reunion is to be held and may organize a committee of local members to assist in planning and coordination.

A volunteer webmaster, responsible for maintaining and constantly updating the association website, shall be appointed by the commander and ratified by simple majority vote of the Board of Directors
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Here are some Constitution changes:

This Constitution may be amended, altered or repealed by two-thirds (2/3) vote of all members. The amended document shall be mailed to the membership for approval with a cover letter specifying that “silence is consent”. Notice thereof shall be given by publication in one issue of the association newsletter

Government. The membership is the governing body of the Association. It meets once a year in the Annual Reunion/Convention at which time officials are elected to carry out the day-to-day operations of the Association. Each regular member in good standing has one vote in these elections, expressed in person. The fiscal year shall be July 1 through 30 June

A national roster is published annually and distributed to all Officers and Directors. The roster, for membership use only, shall list the following information for each member in good standing when known: name, address, unit, rank, telephone, fax and email as well as the type of membership held

In an effort to ensure the privacy of the members, the roster is not to be distributed to any person other than an officer or director of the Association without express permission for distribution by the Executive Board

Note, nobody mailed any amended document to anybody I know to approve of any changes.... that's new probably so they could avoid it. And I bet hardly anybody outside of the main ring of insiders even knew when the Consitution was changed....Did any of you reading this?

Note how what used to be a promise of the Constitution to give each member a list of the other members has been changed to only the leadership has a list.

And note that all voting is done only by those in attendance at a meeting. The "membership as the governing body" seems pretty suspect on a number of levels. Go back and read the bylaws. And note that only members in attendance get any vote.
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 pm

If you mean that some of the financials were added after the original post of this topic, I'LL CALL BULLSHIT on that. No one has been able to make any changes to the web site since Mary died in November. No changes. No additions... nothing. The financial records have been added immediately after the reunions, every year as posted. If I misunderstood your suggestion that the current records were altered to support my comments, I apologize.

Of course some things stayed the same. Some things changed. The point is that a review was required. It was announced. A committee was appointed (which were individuals who volunteered), they conducted the review and the general membership were given the documents and they were voted on an approved. The Commander called for members at the general meeting to volunteer for the committee the individuals volunteering were selected. If you were there, you could have volunteered, and you would absolutely have been on the committee.

"Looks like Corson's changes broke the surface under Tap's term."

What? I don't understand what you are saying or suggesting here.

Also, I'll correct what I said previously about the membership chairman when responding to Jerry's comment. He does have recruiting responsibilities, and he does those. I send he additional newsletters to get out to new or prospective members. He also reaches out to other organizations.

Again, let me clearly state that anyone who wants to effect change or have some say or control in the Association, can participate. You must come to the meetings, to do that.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Last point to your comments on the document review.

Participating members reviewed, and submitted it. General membership at the meeting voted it. If you want to change it, participate.

Now, I'll bow out so I can get some work done. I'm not on here to debate the constitution. I'm here to carry your suggestions to the Association. Contact me when you are ready for that.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Here are another couple of articles removed from the original bylaws. They would have allowed for absentee votes. These provisions were not found to be acceptable apparently in the new and improved bylaws. These articles were never enforced when they were part of the old rules anyway.....at least for the last dozen years I've been aware of the Association. Just why this has been so I do not know.

As to the financials that Vin protests my remarks about, I know that one statement was once posted that was less than complete as a financial statement for some reason unknown to me. I remarked upon it once in our hidden forum that admits registered users. The problem with the statement was that it wasn't but for a few months and not for a complete fiscal reporting period. Not a profit and loss statement by any accounting practise. My thinking that there was some re-edit of the site information was actually wrong on my part as I now admit. I was looking at a later financial statement that seems complete and confused it with the one that wasn't.

If you are a logged in user you should be able to access this link to the post I refer to from the past.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2624

The used to be, but not now, sections of the bylaws that provided for absentee votes are attached. Maybe those in attendance at one meeting approving the new bylaws voted to keep those who didn't attend from retaining the former privilege in the old bylaws. A case where the tail is tired of wagging the dog and then cuts off the dog entirely....... considering only a small percentage of members attend business meetings and even a smaller percentage apparently wrote the new bylaws.

I think one should note that in the new bylaws, the regional chiefs, can still vote on board issues even if they dont attend a reunion.

Regional Directors are expected to attend annual reunions but may be excused by the Senior Director, as long as they are able to vote by mail or email and attend at least one meeting every three years.

I'll give it a rest as to further argument. I think I've probably got the pot boiling over as it is. I apologize for getting carried away on the topic. Just, some things irritate me more than I can stand and I can't keep my opinion to myself.

Click on the attachments to make them larger if you want to read them.
Attachments
absentee.jpg
Nominations.jpg
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Richard Dorn - Delta Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm

I totally concur with the points raised in Delta75's input.
As far as meeting locations, no we don't have to jump thru hoops
to be in a military base city, too many nicer locations prevail.
I'd also emphasize a working web site & health advocacy issues.
Delta75

Brian Swann - Alpha Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Though I only served a short time with A Co.,6-3 Inf. at FSB Moore I am a proud member our Battalion.

I am a retired US Army Military Physician Assistant and a retired VA, Staff Senior Physician Assistant.

Because of my Background I evaluated, treated mostly Vietnam Veterans. Our initial contact was usually

through Agent Orange Exams and then assignment to my Primary Care Patient Panel. Beside their

Health issues and taking the time to explain how the VA System works and the steps needed for

correct application for VA Disability. Going from no disability to even O% Disability or starting at even 10%

is something to build on. Documentation and Verification are the keys successful application.

The current backlog jam is 160,000 +and by 2015 250,000+. 10+ years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan have

overwhelmed the system with more disabled applications by 20+ fold.

Health Issues should be added to Web Site with VA ports of entry.
Delta75

Randy Whitaker - Delta Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm

As a lifetime member of the 6th/31st Association, other than my contact through your email’s and an occasional association newsletter, which now seems defunct, I had no idea what the Association did, who ran it, or, what their rules and regulation were. In their defense, I never inquired either!

That said, suffice it to say, if there is an association, there should be a way for a member to view the by-laws and constitution, review the duties of the officers of the association, including a bio page on the website, which should be maintained and updated on a monthly or better, schedule, and a way to hold the elected officers accountable for their actions or inactions, good or bad. Finally on this subject; any association is only as strong as their ability to attract new members, as well as a hiring and paying for a webmaster, there should be a funded position at worse, and a full-time paid position, at best, for a person(s) whose primary function is to recruit, recruit, and recruit.

Like our personal vote, we each (any person who served with the 6th/31st, from any era) should have one, and like our personal vote, it should be up to the individual to exercise that vote and to determine how much or how little one should become involved in the internal workings of the association. The more involved the more your individual voice will be heard, the less involved or no involvement the less your complaints will have merit or influence.

While I am eternally grateful for those of you who organized and put on the reunions, as a result of attending a reunion; it made me realize, I was not only not alone, I was not forgotten; for I have certainly never forgot. It actually allowed me to consider seeking assistance from the VA that I might have issues related to the War. I agree, and in my opinion, the selection of a reunion site should be for the pleasure of getting together, not predicated on having access to a military base. If the committee to select the sites, if one does exist, and it should, puts out a bid to several competing properties, I can almost certainly guarantee you will get several strong responses from those properties; as meetings and reunions are gold to a hospitality facility. Next the committee might put out a survey to the members and ask them what is important to them when it comes to a location for a reunion. Items on the survey might include; does it require access to a military base, shopping for the wife, will they bring the wife, be close to off property entertainment, places to go, places to eat, site-seeing possibilities, or non-of-the-above. Whatever the criteria the committee comes up with; if they have a consensus from all or even a majority of members on what is important, that would go a long way on determining the type, location, and season of the next reunion location.

Finally, on adding a Health Section, I hope the powers to be take this request to heart. Recently, again, thanks to the email of Mr. White, I was informed some, and subsequently, a lot of our fellow brothers have had varied success and experiences in dealing with the VA on both Agent Orange and PTSD. Many veterans have spent a lifetime “Dealing” with issues best suited for a medical professional to address, I put myself in that class. However, as our band of brothers ages it becomes more and more apparent, not even the sands of time will erase some things and it would be nice to be able to spend the remaining time as unburdened from these issues as one can. I really appreciated all of the recent responses to those posts on the 6thofthe31st.com website. It seems I do have PTSD based on my experience in Vietnam and it was suggested by a med professional to seek assistance from the VA. Those posts gave me both pause and push I needed to gather my supporting data and seek a VET Rep to assist. Therefore, if it helped me, I am sure it will assist others, especially since our unit continues to provide brave young men and women to fight in the name of our country.

Thanks for taking the time to review my comments.

Randy Whitaker
Delta75

Rod Severson - Bravo Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey. Thanks for including me in your discussion. Not sure I knew such a group existed. Seems like a lot of time an money would be necessary to participate and attend national reunions, etc. But who knows. Thanks for the copy. Sounds like a benevolent dictator is needed to resolve the issues (ha, ha). Did recently make contact with Steve Werring (first time since Hawaii). Hope all is good with you all. Keep me on your list. Maybe I could show up one day. Thanks, again. Rod Severson, 6/31, Bravo. 68-69
Delta75

Robert Porter - Charlie Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Note: It appears that Robert Porter thought that the 6/31st and 31st Association were the same. I have informed him of the difference.

I came across the 6/31 web site, quite by accident. I was looking for the history of the unit and its association with the 9th Infantry Division. I was amazed by your site, I really did`nt think there was anything like this out there.

If there are people out there that think it should be better run then they should jump in there and lend a hand. Lead, Follow, or Get The Hell Out of The Way. I loved your photo gallery, I believe the long wait and frustration with the VA is a shame. Here is a hint a fellow grunt give me. Call and talk to your Congress Man or Woman . Those unhappy with anything, should jump in and do what they can to make it better. You guys are trying, I think you are doing a good job, keep up the good work. Robert Porter , Charlie Company /1970 Feb/Aug
Delta75

John Derrick - Alpha Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Note: I have informed John about the association.

Received your email. Was not sure what the 31st Regiment Association was and did not know it existed. Looked it up and still do not understand what they do.
Delta75

J. Gwyn Wathen - Charlie Company

Postby Delta75 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Got your email, in regards to example #2, if you are not at the reunion how can you know what and who to vote for. Are they going to call each member of the Association and ask what his vote is? Just a thought. As for getting a list of reunion sites and voting on them, that is all well and good but who steps forward and take charge of getting the logistics in order and on time?
Delta75

Jim Kaelin - Charlie Company

Postby Delta75 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am

I’m not sure what the discussion is all about. I served in the 6Bn. 31st Infantry....not the 31st Regiment Asso. Other than that my bread is still buttered the say ol way.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 pm

I have been following this thread and it's very interesting. A thought crossed my mind, when
on another thread someone mentioned that there weren't many responses to this topic,
that possibly the lack of responses was the same reason I didn't respond.
By the time I thought about what I would like to see changed in the Assn., someone else
had already brought up the idea and worded it better than I could. And that happened
to a couple of ideas I had.
I think there are probably many like myself, who agree with the ideas put forth here, but see no
need to repeat what has already been stated.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am

I've just noticed there was one recent registration to the site that was accepted but was not forwarded for activation. If you have registered but haven't been cleared to post, email me at niner@6thofthe31st.com and tell me what handle you registered under and I can fix it.

Robert Stewart
webmaster
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 am

Going back to Jerry's list and adding a couple of topics from mine, I've tried to do a list of response based on the Associations apparent position as it exists now along with clarification given us by Vin Zike as their representative.

(1) At the top of the list is without a doubt...hire someone to fix and maintain the website. The present website is basically "dead in the water", and has been for some time. For example: Under the Reunion Section there is no current reunion information, other than the location and the coordinator's name....not even dates.

The website is run on a volunteer basis. It is not considered very important and no specific funds are allocated to sustain it. Mary Doyan, the last volunteer, told Vin that she was on her last legs last summer when the site was in some ways already broken. Mary died in November. Vin is just now getting the credentials needed to have access to the site, made more difficult since nobody elected knew much of anything about it. Since Mary paid for the site and only submitted a bill, she went to her grave with the key information to the site. And...at the moment...nothing much is happening in the way of fixing it. Although Vin is on the case and has just recently gained access to it.

(2) Secondly, I agree, one should "not" be required to attend the reunion in order to be able to vote on officers, reunion locations, by law changes, etc.

What the previous bylaws granted as a right of all members in voting for officers was ignored for years and in the last bylaw change, deleted altogether. Only those who are at business meetings get to vote on whatever is presented to them to vote on. The reunion location is even more complex. The recent Constitution and bylaw changes were put in place only by the vote of those who attended a business meeting. ....a non published number of people.

(3) Consider adding a "Health Issues" section to the website that would permit inputs from our members as to their experiences with the VA. Some of our men are looking for help in getting past the barriers that they have encountered with the VA, and they don't know where to go. Maybe we could even consider creating a position that, hopefully, one of our men experienced with the VA issues would volunteer to support. In other words, let's try to do more for our men then simply reunions.

This may be submitted to the leadership. The website lack of management or update remains a stumbling block that makes the future chances of this happening questionable. It all depends on unpaid volunteers coming forward. One to manage the website and the Association wishing to find someone to manage the task of offering this service.

4) It would be nice to understand the duties of the Regional Director. I have had no contact from my Regional Director in the last 7 years, and when Tim Miller and I asked for their help in reaching out to the men in their regions to make them aware of the 2010 Reno Reunion, we received no response.

By the new bylaws the regional directors should assist in seeking new members for the Association. If any of them are doing it, nobody has noticed. "All Board members are expected to actively seek new members within their assigned region." The directors are also exempt from the rule of attending meetings in order to retain their voting perogatives....unlike ordinary members.. "Regional Directors are expected to attend annual reunions but may be excused by the Senior Director, as long as they are able to vote by mail or email and attend at least one meeting every three years."

(5) Membership Chair? What are the duties? Does this simply mean keeping a list of our members and their contact information, or does it also include actively recruiting to get more men to join the association? I haven't seen much on the later activity (recruiting) since the 2007 San Antonio Reunion.

According to their own new bylaws this should happen. "The Membership Chair shall recruit members of the Association from among veterans of the Regiment and their families by direct mailing to known veterans and advertising the regiment’s annual reunions in publications and web-sites likely to be visited by veterans of the Regiment or their families." But it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe the membership chairman, will say what support he gets to do his job and what funds are ear marked for him to do it. No membership chairman has ever posted anything at my site....ever.

(6)Have bylaws and a constitution and follow them. The last Association written ones were ignored and a few years ago totally suspended by the commander while someone wrote some new bylaws to the commanders liking.

The new Constitution and bylaws, over a year in the making, were actually constructed and put in place without any fanfare. They were put in place on the website without drawing any attention to them. But... among the things the bylaws saw as a change were a few important things. They confirmed a two year term for major offices which was put in place by Col Corson to begin with. And,more importantly, they deleted the part in the old bylaws that gave all members a right to an absentee ballot in elections and in making decisions of significance that affect the total membership. And admittedly, this provision was always, or generally,ignored in the past anyway.

The new Constitution also solidified the voting process as to who could vote. The part about "the membership being the governing body" became defined as whomever shows up at a meeting. "Government. The membership is the governing body of the Association. It meets once a year in the Annual Reunion/Convention at which time officials are elected to carry out the day-to-day operations of the Association. Each regular member in good standing has one vote in these elections, expressed in person.

The Constitution deleted the part that said all members were due a list of all the other members. This had not been followed for years and the new Constitution deleted this part and in it's place:

"A national roster is published annually and distributed to all Officers and Directors."
"In an effort to ensure the privacy of the members, the roster is not to be distributed to any person other than an officer or director of the Association without express permission for distribution by the Executive Board."

7. On the question of opening up reunion location choices. The Association still demands that someone volunteer and find his own local help in organizing it. It also wants to lock them in for years in advance and continue to have all reunions in August.

"Nominations for the reunion site shall be made in person or in writing by an Association member resident near the intended reunion site who is willing to serve as the reunion coordinator.
4.4 The Executive Board, based on nominations for reunion sites shall appoint a Reunion Coordinator for each annual reunion. The Commander will mentor and guide the Reunion Coordinator through the planning process and the reunion. The coordinator must live in or near the metropolitan area in which the reunion is to be held and may organize a committee of local members to assist in planning and coordination."

Another note newly added is this one:

"4.8 Once every three years, if possible, the reunion shall be held at a location proximate to an active duty unit of the regiment, at a time coordinated with the unit commander." The reason being they are looking forward to adding to their membership with the new blood of recent active duty soldiers and this should further hamper the rotation of sections of the country for reunions...unless Syracuse becomes the standard for East of the Mississippi.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 am

Here is something that needs some discussion. Each year people die that had been members of the former 6/31st. Some were members of the Assocation and some were admittedly not. When I am aware of deaths I post notice at my site and welcome the information as an important service announcement when others post. When there are deaths the Association is sometimes notified by next of kin, but the Association sits on the informaton ands saves it for a name mention in a quarterly newsletter. If someone were held reponsible for passing the news on to the membership as soon as arrangements are known that would be helpful than saving the name for a reunion ceremony. Maybe one of those worthies who are trusted with the secret member list could send out prompt notice as part of their duties...or maybe send each regional director the news and require him to send out the news in a batch email to all within his kingdom?
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

I'm curious, Robert... who is there person in the Association that is informed by the families of a death? OH.. Normally that is ME, because my name is on the on the newsletter return address. To date, I have never been informed prior to a service.

On a most rare occasion, a member will be told of a death and planned services via an email or a phone call. I can think of twice that has happened.

The vast majority of the death notices we get are from notes scribbled on the returned newsletter, with the word "DECEASED" on it. I forward that weeks or months old information to the senior director and the membership chairman.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com
Vin Zike

Postby Vin Zike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Here is what I think you should do once this topic has run it's course, and within the parameters you stated at the beginning:

1) Assemble a list of clearly stated suggestions. They should be suggestions on how we can do things better or what needs to be done. Complaints without a valid suggestions will not gain as much ground as a well thought out and argued way to fix it.
2) Assemble a list of the names of the Association Members who are submitting the suggestions. It does not have to be 50 names.... It can be 1, and I will still read it into the meeting.
3) Get that to me in the form of an email on or before the end of July.

I will then submit to the Board that I want to address your suggestions.
Vin Zike
vinzike@gmail.com

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”