First Significant Contact May 1968

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

First Significant Contact May 1968

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:09 pm

The battle to defend Saigon was, according to the Old Reliable, the first major action for the 6/31st.

Last edited by Niner Alpha on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McMullen

Correction needed

Postby Bill McMullen » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:34 am

This is a picture of Co C being inserted on or about May 7, 1968. I remember it. This was NOT the first contact for Co C. On Apr 24th we had a contact near Bearcat in which 2 guys died right away from a command detonated claymore. Their names were Don Hanna and Bill Rauber. Rauber was the medic for 1s platoon. SSG Schroeder passed away from his wounds like 20 days later. There were another 2-4 guys wounded. We only got a couple of guys out late that day. The extractor from the dustoff broke and we had to spend the night with the dead and a couple of wounded inside our perimeter. Not a good night.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Correction needed

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:35 pm

Bill, thanks for taking the time to post this. If you would like to make any comments further about these men please email Chuck so he can add the information at our Wall link.
cmccammon
Sustaining Member

Re: Correction needed

Postby cmccammon » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:19 pm

Bill - thank you for posting the KIA information for Hanna and Rauber. If you have any pictures or more information regarding our KIAs, please e-mail me so I can publish it to their Blue pages.
Posted by: Chuck McCammon
A/6/31 RVN 10-69 to 10-70
Tutwiler

Re: First Significant Contact May 1968

Postby Tutwiler » Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Correction addendum to the Co C first contact.

Bill I wish to add my recollections of this first C Company contact with the VC on or about May 8, 1968. As I recall, I believe the Company was part of a battalion sweep through an area near Bearcat. We were running late in getting to the area where the Company was to set up it's NDP (night defensive position) and we were moving forward quickly on a well traveled path through the jungle. The 1st platoon was in the lead in this company movement. I was in the first squad in the 1st platoon, the point element in this movement. At some point we stopped for for a few minutes and the order of march rotated another squad into the lead position and my squad shifted to the last squad of the 1st platoon order of march. I remember Don Hanna a machine gunner walk past us as he and his squad moved up to the lead position. A few minutes later we heard a loud explosion and automatic small arms fire. Where I was we didn't know what the hell was going on. A short time later we heard the call for "Medic" and Bill came jogging past us heading up to were the action was. Small arms continued for a few more minutes. At some point my squad leader took us forward where we helped with the wounded. I am adding these comments to augment the recollection written by Bill McMullen. Don Hanna was definitely killed by a command detonated device. Bill Rauber, however, was killed as he moved forward to assist his buddies by a three round automatic fire burst to his left chest. I know this for a fact as I spent this long dark night beside his body.

Thursday 23 May 2019

Hank Young
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: First Significant Contact May 1968

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Welcome to the forums Hank. Looks like Don Hanna and George Schroeder were both victims of the explosive device. Hanna died upon being injured and Schroeder lingered after being dusted off until May 16. Rabuer was a medic who was shot and killed while attempting to tend to Schroeder and or Hanna. I pieced this together from the Coffelt Database.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”