An appeal for records correction of awards

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

An appeal for records correction of awards

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 pm

I was looking for what "6th of the 31st Infantry" brought up in a search on a military search engine site. http://www.searchmil.com/ Mostly what it brought up was stuff related to the 4-31st as it exists today. No mention of this site at all. However... I did find two records of people requesting a correction in their military records regarding awards. One was from a guy who seems to have served in D company in 68/69. He was looking for addition of a bronze star awarded for some action on April 10, 1969. Strange thing is....his name doesn't appear anywhere on the document.

http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMY/BCMR/CY20 ... 006478.txt

Here's another of an unnamed D Company guy looking for an air medal.

http://boards.law.af.mil/ARMY/BCMR/CY20 ... 012853.txt
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: An appeal for records correction of awards

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Maybe some day I'll get around to getting my DD-214 corrected, too. Mine only shows one ARCOM with "V" device, but I have
copies of orders for 2 more ARCOMs, one with "V" device. The probable reason they aren't on my DD-214 is that they have my
Social Security number wrong, my serial # is correct, but in those days everything had both SS # and serial #.
Yup, maybe some day I'll get around to that, it's only been 45 years, but I'll get to it.......soon.......I'm sure...... 8)

Out of curiosity, I just went and dug out the copies of my orders.........oops.
All 3 have my SS # wrong, now I have no idea why 2 of them never made it onto my DD-214.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 pm

You know, after I read that article about record correction, I think all of us in D Co. earned more Air Medals than we received. I sure remember going all day on sweeps, going in 4-5 times a day. Am I right that one CA was one sweep? How was one able to keep track of them all?
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I think it was 25 combat insertions by air .....if recorded.... would make an individual eligible for one Air Medal. Each subsequent collection of 25 insertions would make one eligible for a second award of an Air Medal. In actual practice the platoon leaders were responsible for seeing that a list of men in their platoon, along with their number of combat insertions by air, was handed over to the company clerk that was responsible for awards. The Platoon leaders were supposed to do this on a regular basis. Lieutenants came and went and some knew to do this record keeping and some didn't. It seems more than a few didn't.

If the company clerk wasn't keeping score you wouldn't get an air medal. And company clerks wouldn't know unless told. Many guys got one air medal and all counting after one seemed to come to a halt for some reason. But with all the Eagle flights in 1970, everybody in the field who lasted for six months or so should have earned several.

In my case, after getting one Air Medal because the LT. FO made the clerk record the number of insertions for me. I was done with Air medal collecting when I got the FO job. When I , as acting FO went to the clerk to record my, and later my RTO's, air insertions, I was told that since I wasn't an officer and not officially a member of the company, that he wasn't going to record the information.....and that went for my RTO too. I guess I could have tried the Arty battery....but ...I just gave up on it. A medal you have to beg for is meaningless anyway.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:54 pm

That went the way my Purple Heart went, because I stayed out in the field, they never got around to it. Now I wish I had
pursued it, but back then is was, "Screw 'em, I don't need it." Even though I still have a very small piece of shrapnel in
my hand that shows up really well on an x-ray............... :mrgreen:

I have no idea who turned in my time, sure wasn't me, but I did get an Air Medal.
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Delta Company”