Hunter Killer Patrols

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Hunter Killer Patrols

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I wanted to know who went out with me on Capt. Lowe's hunter killer teams. Remember one of the missions very well, was interested in who went out with Karl on these. I do know the intel he had that night was right on, I just was hopeing to hear from anyone who was on those missions.
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Re: Hunter Killer Patrols

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 pm

OK, what I remember 1st about doing these patrols, just getting picked was unreal. The briefing stated that the VC were going around nightly collecting food, tax money, this type of thing. We were to go in and eliminate them. I remember moveing around rice patties until we had this Ville in our sights. If I,m right we were watching this area a very short time and bingo, there were at least 4 VC with a lantern moveing through the Ville. Capt Lowe said we were to quick trot towards the Ville and open up only after he fired 1st. We were moveing at a good clip but Karl made the decision to go for it, that lantern was out in a flash and they took off! We found where they got to their boat and were gone. We did a short recon by fire hopeing to draw them into a firefight, but not this night! Just wanting to know if anyone out there was out on that mission, Charlie
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Charlie,
Those might patrols soumd the same as the ones I was on during my tour down in the Delta. Funny how OPS repeat themselves only with a different CO!
:o
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Ron, that is amazeing to know. I had no idea any one had done those types of ops before. What struck me was the intel was right on top of it, to see the VC walking through this Ville, latern over head, umbrella of some sort over him, at least two guards around him, wow. Capt. Lowe if I'm correct, said he was calling the village to get up and come out side. to listen to him. Just wish we could of nailed them........Charlie
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sat May 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Ron thanks for sending me a response about the hunter killer work that you did. I would be very interested in any thing you did on those missions. Again any comments of those missions would be enjoyable to me. Hope you and your family are doing well!
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 am

Charlie,
If my memory serves me right I think some of these patrols went into the early morning hours. Such as the time when I was walking point just after dawn and I heard voices on a trail in a dense canopy area. It ended up being a VC paymaster or something related to that and we captured money, flag, drugs and personnel. That flag has been autographed by my squad and now part of my collection of 'Nam items of interest.
Other night patrols had us on observations w/o taking action as us doing nothing but calling in our sightings of villagers, with the help of a starlight scope, that were moving about the huts with the use of latterns. Don't quite remember what actions were taken, but we did get somewhat excited about what 'charlie' was up to so late at night. Orders were to maintain our silence by LT and watch for further activity.
I'm sure there must have been such night operations by other 31st people, but we're just not hearing about them.

Return to “Delta Company”