Photos from someone unknown

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Photos from someone unknown

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:35 pm

I got an email from a guy the other day. He said his business was to clean out houses that were being renovated or otherwise done something with. He found what must have been all the photos some guy in Charlie Company brought home from Vietnam. It appears that there was a little date history. These photos came from mid to late 69. In them you can see the Benewha and scenes that look a lot like Can Giouc. And there is a bridge that may have been the one at Vinh Kim.

The photos were sent scanned a little too small so the enlargements are probably a little less than we would like....but the guy who found them contacted me and asked me if I wanted them and took the time to scan them. That was a real service on his part.....and he doesn't want to have his name mentioned . Anonymous is how he wishes to remain. He says he has some more he will put on a disk and send me. If and when he does I'll add them to the album.

No telling who this guy was who owned the album. No telling how the photos got left behind at some junction in his life. No telling if he just forgot them, didn't want them, or if maybe he died and the photos were just so much life baggage that remained. I can't tell for sure who owned the album from the photos either.

If anybody knows who the guys are in the photos or has a guess who the album belongs to please let me know.

In any case.... I posted them in the Site Album under the Charlie section. Here's a link that should work.

http://6thofthe31st.com/gallery/index.p ... ny/Unknown

Like I stated, I have no idea who owned the album.... maybe this guy in the photo below is the owner. Who knows?
Attachments
scan0008.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Photos from someone unknown

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Got this information from former Lt. Dan Kelley by way of Jerry White:

Jerry, These are my guys' 3rd platoon, Charlie co., 6/31. I will identify as many as I can and send them to any other guys in the platoon. The are out of Dong Tam in 69. Thanks to who ever sent them in and to you for passing them on. The guy you thought was the owner is Ron Haines. I visited him in Mantua, Ohio many years ago. He was Jack Lambert's uncle. Steeler's Hall of famer.
Regards, Dan Kelley
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Twenty more images have been added to the album.

Some slides are being copied. They should be on their way in the near future.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Dan Kelley supplied some more names to go with the photos. They all have been added. Two of the men in the photos were men who died in Vietnam. There are several photos that include Angel Hernandez-Rivera, and Walter "Red" Garstkiewicz.
Attachments
Red Garskiewitz.jpg
"Red" Garstkiewicz
h2.jpg
Hernandez-Rivera
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:46 am

Joe Rauscher has made some identifications:
Attachments
scan0049.jpg
PFC Forkel
scan0102.jpg
The man with the hat is Doc Foster
scan0073.jpg
L-R Lt. Hackett's RTO (first name Greg) , SP4 Smith
scan0101.jpg
2nd Plt. from Left facing SP4 Greg Mottrom, "Red" Douglas and SP4 Hollon with his head turned.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:03 pm

97 new photos have been added to the album as taken from slides. The new ones start at the bottom of page 8 in the album.

It is still unknown who took these photos.

Page 8 should start here. The bottom two are new ones. The others are on following pages.

http://6thofthe31st.com/gallery/index.p ... ny/Unknown
Attachments
83045486-SLD-001-0029.jpg
83045486-SLD-001-0077.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Some great pictures, too bad the owner is unknown. But they will be a big help the re-enactor groups as there are many that
show how we wore the equipment. Sure brings back memories........... 8)
Carling Black Label and Falstaff, we would drink anything back then............... :mrgreen:
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 am

Added another 13 images from photos received today.

Return to “Charlie Company”