Just checking in

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
radarray1

Just checking in

Postby radarray1 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:25 pm

Hello fellow Grunts, It's been awhile since I even looked at Vietnam Vet web pages. I was with C co., 6th Bn, 31st from March '69 until March '70. I spent the whole tour as a ground pounder. (or should I say 'paddy daddy') (Lucky me ;-)
I ended up a Spec 4. Didn't want to even take the Sgt's "exam" 'cause every @#%$ detail needed a Sgt!

My email is rconmey@hotmail.com . Drop me a line.
I have good memories and bad. You know, the usual @#%$.
All in all it was a "mind expanding" trip!

The one funny thing I remember right off is a story about this guy named Forkel. At least I think that was his name.
Well on day this kid gets the @#%$ burning detail. Well he volunteered to do it permanently. Since must guys were grossed out by this "job", they let him do it. Well one morning we're loading up on the trucks to go out to get our lift for the day's search and destroy sweep, and all the guys on my truck started jiving with Forkel 'cause he's burning the @#%$. (Which if you recall didn't take long, most of the time you just sat back and had a smoke and, of course, stayed up-wind.) Well I told all the guys on the truck "You think he is a stupid hillbilly for taking that job. But, if you'll notice, he is NOT on the truck with us going out to the "office". Well those guys freaked out and really started yelling at Forkel. He just smiled a big smile and waved to us.
It was classic. I laughed my ass off.

Later.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Just checking in

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:15 am

Thanks for checking in Ray. Very good story for a first post to Charlie Company. Thanks also for registering. Thanks also for filling out your profile. Glad you found the site. Come back often.

Robert
Bill McMullen

Postby Bill McMullen » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:33 am

Good to see another polar bear from Co C check in, Ray. You may not have known about it, but we had a nice reunion in Pittsburgh last weekend. The 31st Inf Rgt Assn has a reunion every year. Vets from 3 wars come and meet and get reacquanted.
We had 10 guys from the original Company that shipped over in Apr 68 there this time. We had a blast. :-)
Hey, Stew. I know you are going to see this. Why were'nt you there? There were lots of guys from A Company, too.
Bill McMullen
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:45 am

Thanks for joining us here and posting Bill. Couldn't make it this year.

I was talking last night with Dean Hess from Alpha Company who was really glad he did attend the reunion. He should post some info soon as he is trying to contact as many old Alpha Company guys as he can to start working on making the next reunion even more successful. I am in hopes these forums may help attract more guys to future reunions.

Robert Stewart
Barabbas

Hi

Postby Barabbas » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:14 pm

Barabbas here... checking in. 6/31 Charter member... a Ft. Lewis original.
dan kelley

3RD PLT, C CO, 6/31 INFANTRY

Postby dan kelley » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:58 pm

I WAS PLT LEADER OF 3RD PLT FROM 6/69-1/70. I HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH MANY OF THE MEN : SGT ISACCS,SGT KOLATA,RON HAINES,BENNIE PRIDEMORE,'WAIT ONE' JOSLYN, PAUL AMOS,FRED GOTTWALD, AND OTHERS. MEN FROM D CO INCLUDE: LT SAM MARTIN, LT WALT RUTHERFORD, AND LT HAMLET DON SMITH. FROM E CO LT STEVE MAGUIRE. THE 31ST ASSOC REUNION IS ALSO A GOOD PLACE TO HOOK UP WITH OTHERS. BRUCE SWADNER HAS GIVEN ME A GREAT DEAL OF INFORMATION THAT I DID NOT REALIZE EVEN EXISTED. MARTIN, RUTHERFORD, AND I VISITED THE WALL AND THE GRAVE OF CAPT DENNIS KEATON IN ARLINGTON SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND I RECOMMEND IT HIGHLY. LAST, BUT NOT LEAST I HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE TO HAVE SEVERAL MEETINGS WITH COL. CARLSON, THE FIELD TOOPERS COMMANDER. HE IS A GREAT MAN. HOPE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS OF 'CHARLIE HUNTER' ESPECIALLY 3RD PLT.
Dean

Reunion

Postby Dean » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:48 am

Lt Kelley,
Thanks for posting your note. I found out about the 6th/31st association about a year ago. At the reunion this past summer there were 10 guys from alpha company present. Have you joined the association? Would you be interested in coming to the reunion Aug. 22-25th in Colorado Springs, Co.? Col. Carlson is the commander.

Dean Hess
dankelley47brightnet

reply to dean

Postby dankelley47brightnet » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:04 am

DEAR DEAN, PAUL AMOS AND I ATTENDED THE PITTSBURG, PA REUNION, BUT DID MORE PITTSBURG RECON WORK THAN REUNION. I HOPE TO CONVINCE PAUL TO ATTEND IN COLORADO NEXT AUGUST. REGARDS, DAN KELLEY

Return to “Charlie Company”