Was there from the beginning

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
BobPatterson

Was there from the beginning

Postby BobPatterson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Greetings;

I arrived at the 6-31 at Ft. Lewis with 3 other guys in August or September in 1967. Can only remember the name of my best bud William "Bill" Hester (Festerdill). There was only one enlisted man currently with the unit as it was just forming. His name was Paul Savacool of Georgia. Later KIA in Viet Nam. We watched the unit form, we all were assigned to Charlie company, and we trained as a batallion before deployment to Viet Nam in that friggin' Washington state snow on Mt. Ranier. Go figure. We deployed in March of 68 to Camp Bearcat outside of Saigon just in time for mini Tet offensive and we saw extensive action in the Cholon area of Saigon. We ended up at Dong Tam in the delta. About 10 months into the tour they started reasigning the original grunts to other units so everyone wouldn't DEROS at once. (wasn't that many of us left.) I got assigned to the 4 of the 47th Riverine. Anyone that was around March 68 to March 69 would love to hear from you, and anyone else of course. I love all of you guys and I hope your life is well. Our cause was just.
From the beginning of Charlie Company 6/31st from Fort Lewis Washington until deployment to the Nam in March of 1968 to DEROS March of 1969. Not many of us left.
Jeffoverton

Re: Was there from the beginning

Postby Jeffoverton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:34 pm

You must have gone early. I joined in Dec. 67. Was in the 3rd plt. I remember that we landed on Apr 4, 68. The day King was shot. I was one that had only 6mos. to ETS. If you remember about half of us had lest than a year to go.

check out this video of Co.C in the Nam 1968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KPJ6rMaeD8
Jeff Overton

Return to “Charlie Company”