Cholon/68

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory,photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Bruce Swander
Contributing Member

Cholon/68

Postby Bruce Swander » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:14 pm

As most of you know, Keith Nolan is writing a book regarding the Cholon Battle in May/68. He has come across 2 more names that (may) have been KIA with B/6/31: Jose Vieras and Richard Kosar. Does anyone remember either of these soldiers? These 2 were not included in the Bn list and need to be verified.
deg polarbear

Kosar

Postby deg polarbear » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:35 am

Bruce- I am sure he was in B/6/31st. - Dave
Bruce Swander
Contributing Member

Cholon/68

Postby Bruce Swander » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:06 pm

Dave: You mentioned 'he'. Which one of the names or both? Do you know which squad either/or were with at the time? Thx.
deg polarbear

Richard Dennis Kosar

Postby deg polarbear » Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:47 pm

Bruce- Kosar was in Bravo Co., but I am not sure which platoon he was in, I knew him from either basic or AIT, but don't recall him being in my platoon at Ft. Lewis. Of these two men, Kosar arrived in country on the same day most of Bravo Co. arrived and Vieras arrived the day before when a few guys from B Co. arrived, both are very likely in Bravo Co. - Dave
deg polarbear

Kosar & Vieras

Postby deg polarbear » Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:22 pm

Bruce- I spoke with a guy at NARA and he checked a source and said that both Kosar & Vieras were from B/6/31st Inf. - Dave Gray
Bruce Swander
Contributing Member

Kosar/Vieras

Postby Bruce Swander » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:02 pm

Dave: If you checked with NARA/MD, then they are working off the same database I have, as there is a group of us working with them to identify all 58K names down to Unit level.

But, if you checked with NARA/St. Louis, then they would have the Company rosters. I'm still waiting for some of these to come in.

Death Certificates show both were with C/5/60. But they very possibly could have been moved to B/6/31 prior to the battle....or someone just entered the wrong info at the time. That's why I was looking for anyone that may have remembered their names with B Co for corroboration.
deg polarbear

Kosar & Vieras

Postby deg polarbear » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:06 pm

Bruce- I talked with NARA/MD, so I guess it is from the same source you are working on. I haven't got a reply from St. Louis yet. I'm still sure I knew Kosar and he was probably in B/6/31st. - Dave
jackraquel

Cholon 68 Death of Kozar and Vieras

Postby jackraquel » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:11 pm

I was there when Kozar and Vieras were killed. Lt. Harris was our platoon leader. He was later killed in action at Tay Ninh during a rocket attack. We were with Co. B. Anyone from my platoon still out there, I would love to hear from you.
Bruce Swander
Contributing Member

Kosar/Vieras & LT Harris

Postby Bruce Swander » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:03 am

Jack:<br>
Can you contact me at BruceSwander@hotmail.com as I need some details from you and I have a couple of questions. We've verified that Kosar/Vieras was with B/6/31 now, but while looking at documents I have a question about the date (10 May). Also need some info on LT Harris.
mac97304

Re: Cholon/68

Postby mac97304 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:25 am

I'm John McIntosh. They called me all kinds of things, but mostly "Mac". In country April 1968. Was in Cholon in 1968, Plain of the Reeds, guarding the bridge (name?) and securing the Western Star, Tan Am, Dong Tam, then home in April of 1969. I signed the main 6 & 31 guestbook. See that for more info. David Gray... are you the one that got shot in the ankle at Cholon? My platoon sergeant was Sgt. Davis, E-7. Squad leader was Sgt. Datsun, E-6. Guys in my squad were Burns, Carter from Georgia, Tagliavore, Alex Bell, Biardi. Other guys from the platoon included Kirkland from Washington state, Harris from Illinois (?), and O'Hara. Excuse my spelling, guys. If these names are familiar to you, please email me. To the guy who is writing the book....feel free to contact me. <p></p><i></i>
John "Mac" McIntosh, Ft. Lewis 67-68, RVN 68-69 Bravo
cl

Lt. Harris

Postby cl » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:44 pm

Lt Harris was killed at Fire Base Moore, during a mortar attack. I was walking ten feet from him when it happened....

Clark
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Lt. Harris

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:33 pm

Thanks for posting Clark. If you would , please email Chuck with some details about Lt. Harris for our 6/31st Wall. If you have a picture of him we would appreciate that too as perhaps some member of his family might if they find this site. Chuck's email is in the header. Just hit the button.

And please sign the book and consider registering as an ezboard user and become a supporter of this site. You could join the chat on Fridays or Sundays also if you do register.
Loner

CHOLON/68

Postby Loner » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 am

I'm James Harris joined the unit at Fort lewis in country April of 68.Was also in the Cholon 1968 along with the guys Mac named.Mac its good to know your still alive and kicking!!Sent you an e-mail it would be great to hear from you ! Or any of the guys we serverd with. The bridge is Binh Dien Bridge.Not from Illinois but New Hampshire.Other guys I remember Kokan,Mowwet, Dietz .Hass. Captain Eckman (Company CO)For what it was and what we over there for I have many good memorys and pride of the guys I serverd with.

Return to “Bravo Company”