Dean's big adventure

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Dean's big adventure

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:37 am

He hitched a ride on the chopper That's on its way to the Smithsonian. Here's a link that tells some of the story.
http://www.americashuey.com
Attachments
Dean1.jpg
Dean2.jpg
Dean3.jpg
Dean4.jpg
Dean5.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Dean's big adventure

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:40 pm

"Here are a few more pictures that I took of today's activities here in Greeley, Co.
I was able to get another ride today. Huey 091 will now travel to Colorado Springs, then on to Pennsylvania. If any of you get to see it, look for the A Company patch that I placed on the right side of the aircraft. Niner, that is your patch that you gave to me but I wanted it to be placed in the Huey for the next 30 years at the Smithsonian. Bill, keep an eye out for the patch when it comes your way."
Attachments
46859260_G.jpg
46859246_G.jpg
46859215_G.jpg
46859047_G.jpg
46859229_G.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:47 pm

Great idea Dean. All of us Alpha guys will be proud to know our company symbol has a place at the Smithsonian...... kind of, sort of.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:48 pm

The America's Huey link shows a picture of Dean pinning the patch to the inside of the chopper. It's in these photos in the link to their site.

http://www.americashuey.com/huey/imaged ... 26b-014000
Attachments
14.jpg
Dean in the linked site's photo
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 am

Got an email today about another Huey that has taken people for a ride and has a documentury about it. Then I went down deep in the chatroom forum and found this old post about a Huey Dean Hess got a ride in. This Huey ended up in Washington at the Smithsonian. Dean pinned an original Alpha patch that I had sent him to the inside lining. Guess it is still with the chopper in Washington.

Dean's flight was in 2004. Ron Raymond took a different ride in a different chopper in 2008. It's posted about here in a link to the Delta forum. However, during a big site problem last year Ron's photos were lost. I'll have to get him to attach them again.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2160

James Sanchez sent me this link to another chopper story today which brought all this to mind again.

http://www.intheshadowoftheblade.com/documentary.html
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:38 am

Here is one thing I forgot to mention. You will note a recent guessbook entry by Larry Lawrence. He was the platoon leader of second platoon in the first to middle part of 1970. He was the one that came up with the patch idea and design.....from the pack of Aces some guys carried around to leave an Alpha calling card at scenes of contact.

There was also an Alpha pin made later in 1970 as an idea of Captain Olson our last CO.
Attachments
hat.jpg
ace.jpg
055_G.jpg
Lt.Lawrence on the right..from Mike Manderscheid's album
pin.jpg
IMGP4902.jpg
To show how small the pin actually was...in my "I love me" collection, including the No such thing CAB that Vern Weed sent me a few years ago.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:21 am

Robert, you're my hero, you got a Bronze Star. The most I got was 3 ArComs, 2 with "V" , told my kids the V was for Vern. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Where is your green and white Viet Nam Campaign Medal, and I think I read somewhere that we are authorized to wear the blue Presidential Unit Citation.

Vern.
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 am

I got put in for a green weenie with a V once. But...didn't get it. But.... I'd trade the bronze ataboy for not getting in any trouble for a green weenie with a V any day.

I think that the buy it yourself Republic of Vietnam green medal, like the cold war buy it yourself medal, can stay on the merchants shelf. Any medal you have to buy is against my religion. I'm a Devout Asshole.......as all my one time friends will vouch for.

Return to “Alpha Company”