Lt. Moynahan 2nd Platoon

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Lt. Moynahan 2nd Platoon

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:51 am

Got this response to some Alpha emails I sent out about our proposed battalion reunion. Any of you 2nd platoon guys that remember him I thought would want to read this. Your opportunity to get re-acquainted with your old platoon leader and other members of the 2nd Platoon of late 69 and into 70 could happen at the 6th of the 31st Stand Alone reunion. If all the if's fall into place.

Thank you for the email. I am very interested in this possibility. Although I have never attended, I don't have any problem with the Regiment reunion. I did not attend for several years because of my wife's cancer. I gave serious thought to Indianapolis but had ministry conflicts that had to have priority (I pastor a small church and both teach and am in the leadership of a growing jail and prison ministry). Other years a combination of distance and the related expense was the deciding factor.
I very much like the idea of a less formal gathering that allows more fellowship. That is what my high school reunions have been like the last two times and everyone agrees that we have enjoyed them more. I also think many would appreciate an event that worked better for bringing their wives.
The area you are considering, of course, appeals to me since I live near Paducah, KY which is between 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours north of Nashville on I24. Fort Campbell is between the two cities.
Indeed you may want to consider Paducah. We are a regional center with a variety of hotels and places to eat ( the chains and excellent local ones) and convention space. We are also near two large lakes with a variety of recreational opportunities including The Land Between the Lakes (on the web). Paducah has recently attracted major national attention. It was named a UNESCO City of Crafts and Folk Art. The National Quilt Museum is here and each year in April there are 25-30,000 quilters here from all over the world. A long time project has revitalized an older section which is now the Lower Town Arts District - painters, potters, leather goods, jewelry makers. Our paper today informed us that Paducah will be listed as No. 5 in the October issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine (world's largest travel magazine). In the article, "The 2014 Traveler 50: World's Smartest Cities", Paducah appears between Paris, France and Melbourne, Australia.
In nearby Wickliffe there is a museum site showing the lifestyle of ancient mound building Indians and outside Columbus there is a state park on a Civil War site where Grant's forces were held at beigh for a while by a giant chain stretched across the Mississippi River.
Certainly Nashville and Branson would be excellent.
As to suggestions on when, moderate weather - late April/May or late September/October. If Paducah was chosen and you wanted to have the option of extended families coming to the lakes, then around 3rd week in June.
Thank you for your efforts.
Please keep me in the loop.
James M. (Mike) Moynahan
Alpha 26 late 69 - mid 70
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Lt. Moynahan 2nd Platoon

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 09, 2015 10:29 am

Lt. Moynahan is going to lead the Memorial service in Branson.

Return to “Alpha Company”