The Last Outpost

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The Last Outpost

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:21 pm

Jim Tierney sent this picture. It was in the "Dong Tam, AO". It had "The Last Outpost" painted in big letters on the roof of the building in the distance that could be seen from the air. This was in 1969. Anybody remember the place?
Attachments
24536543_G.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Wylie

Last Outpost

Postby Ted Wylie » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:39 pm

Yes I very much remember this place. It's FSB Doug Right next to Vihn-Kim. When Dong-Tam was finally shut down this was the last outpost for the 9th Div. in this AO. I have a shot of the place from the air as choppers were bringing us in. I took the last shot on the roll of film when I saw the Last Outpost, It came out in the pic but was sideways as was the building as we were circling to land on the road. This sign is also incomplete as the sign finished read Last Outpost 9th Inf. Div., around a couple days later we were moved to Ben Luc. Alot of us out of the boonies and 2nd plat.were helping build Ben Luc. Done this about a wk and 1/2 then several of us were moved to Gettysburg.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Last Outpost

Postby jtier » Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:25 pm

Good memory Ted.
The Vihn Kim hamlet sounds familiar. Now that you mention the sign was incomplete, I could have very well took this photo when I was still with E compant 2/39th recon platoon.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Vinh Kim

Postby Delta75 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:29 pm

6/31st left Vinh Kim in the Sept/Oct time frame of 1969 to move to Can Guoic. When did 2/39 last work out of Vinh Kim? I thought that we were the last guys there.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Last Outpost

Postby jtier » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:51 pm

I think you are correct.
I remember now. The last Outpost was the location where Lt. Gorecki took over command of our platoon. So it had to be when I was with the 6/31st as I was transferred from the 2/39th in August (as close as my poor memory can recall at this time.
Ted Wylie

Re: Last Outpost

Postby Ted Wylie » Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:16 am

Delta75 and Jtier are both correct. I had a brain lock. It was in late 69 when FSB DOUG closed down with the sign" last outpost 9thInf Div" on the roof. This is when we moved all of our stuff to Can-Guoic. It was Later in 69 or real early 70 that I moved myself with a few others to help build Ben Luc for a short while. Then I believe myself, Don A. and another guy from Alabama, Johnson; were moved to Gettysburg.

Return to “Alpha Company”