John Bullock and Tiger Scout

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

John Bullock and Tiger Scout

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:31 pm

John was in third platoon in 1970. He sent me this picture some time ago and he gave me permission to post it now.
Attachments
24535311_G.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnhbullock

E

Postby johnhbullock » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:54 pm

Tried answering earlier, hope this isn't a duplicate.

We called him "E", one of the Scouts that worked with LT Hall's platoon. He was tall for most Vietnamese. E and I, another grunt were wounded the last of April '70, all ended up in the 3rd Field Hospital together.

E was in foreign territory, so he followed us around, copied what we did. Remember getting on an elevator, E followed us, though suspicious. The doors closed, the floor swayed a bit, and the doors opened to another floor. You'll have to imagine the look on his face. Quickly enough, he figured out the mecanics of it all, but I sure could have used a camera, when those doors first opened.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: E

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:54 pm

John, the other "grunt", that time you got wounded, was Gene Cruise. He was the arty recon sgt at the time although he was converted from 11b. I remember you and I talked about it in emails a year or more ago.
johnhbullock

Gene

Postby johnhbullock » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:11 pm

Sort of "think" I remember something splattering off the dust cover of Gene's M-16 and into his leg. Wrecked the dust cover.
We were fairly close to a bunker, some of our M-79 rounds were not going off, not enough spin, which would make it about 28 meters or closer, if I remember right. Cobras came in and hit the bunker also, so might have been debris from that.

I took a piece of M-79 round through the upper lip, lodged into my bottom lip. Found it very difficult to scream "medic" at the time, with both lips pinned together. My first firefight, had my head up looking around at the time, thinking, "oh wow, I'm in a firefight!"

Does, FNG, green, stupid sound about right here.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Gene

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:15 pm

That's right John. We were on an Eagle flight. We were in an overgrown area but not nippa. State side size trees. A Vietcong in a bunker had us pinned down. Gene crawled around me as I slid into a ditch. He was about three feet from me when he got shot in the leg just above the knee, although he was low crawling. The bullet in its path did some damage serious enough to send him back to the world. Gunships came in and fired only a few yards from us. .......I remember. Right over my head...really right over.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Gene

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:38 pm

Gene Cruise to the right and Joe Poole to the left.
Attachments
108_G.jpg
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jodon
Sustaining Member

Re: John Bullock and Tiger Scout

Postby jodon » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:09 am

John, I remember that firefight, I was laying right next to you not three feet away and was looking at you when you were wounded. I thought it was a bullet that hit the ground inches in front of your head and richocheted into your upper lip and gum. Your head snapped back like you were punched and Hope you don't mind me mentioning, but you cried a bit from the pain and shock. Later the lieutenant (or captain ?) said that if he had gotten hit like that he woulda been crying to. We all agreed as it must have been very painful and scary. When the vc in the bunker opened up the lead guys fell back a little and the cp behind moved up to check the situation so there musta been about 7 or 8 of us bunched up prone with Gene (if niners recollection of who it was is right) and a couple others in a water filled ditch. I remember Gene had a bullet hole just above his knee and it looked like the tip of the bullet was sticking out the wound. We were in quite a spot with the vc poping 3 or 4 rounds a minute into our group. When a gunship came up hoovered behind us and peppered the bunker with rockets. We moved back and called in arti which pounded the whole area. Later we went back into the wooded area and walked by the offending bunker with one very dead vc in its entrance. I recall they gave arti credit for the kill although I thought that the gunships rockets probably got him. There were other elements in this operation and recall listening on the radio as one of them described having a vc up a tree and wondering what to do. The arti also uncovered some underground bunkers in that vc infested woodlot. Memory of this action was one of the clearest I had from the war as it was such a close call with the bullets kicking up dirt around us and me looking at you when you were hit by richochet. I could never recall who it was that was hit=- quite a coincidence that it turned out to be you. I also recall the tiger scout in the picture very well. He and Moun were the only tiger scouts I remember.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:50 am

Lt. Hall the third platoon leader wasn't there that day with that element. Lavazzi was the Captain. He would be the guy Joe remembers. The platoon must have been split up and inserted in different places. We had lost commo for a while during this action and when we got back to Ben Luc Lt. Hall was really concerned with what happened since it involved an element of his platoon.

I remember when the smoke cleared that whoever picked up the VC's AK handed it to the then 9er Alpha, Lt. Holderness. He looked at it and handed it to me. He said something about it being destroyed. I was dumb enough to ask what he meant as it looked alright to me. I handed it back to the soldier who picked it up first.
johnhbullock

m-m-m-edic

Postby johnhbullock » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:25 am

I got hit with a piece of metal about an inch long. It went part way through my upper lip slid down a front tooth and buried itself in my lower lip. Tooth took the impact and held. My mouth was literally pinned shut. It hurt like hell, and I couldn't get my mouth open to yell medic, just grunt & growl.

Didn't myself remember it was Gene. At first I thought it was a bullet off the ground or Gene's rifle, but several guys looked at the piece in the hospital and thought it was part of the jacket from an M-79 round. Long since lost it.

Probably a good deal in the long run, as I kept my head down after that, and learned pretty quick you could get killed out there. Hall gave a couple of us a bad time, that we had won a Purple Heart before we had gotten our CIB.

See if I can dig up the paper on the Purple Heart, maybe Gene was on the same orders. For some reason, I am picturing now that some other guy took rocket shrapnel in the butt, and that was who was with E and I, and we went upstairs somewhere to visit another guy [Gene?] at 3rd Field.
johnhbullock

Crews & Land

Postby johnhbullock » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:36 pm

On the paperwork for Purple Hearts, 25 Apr 1970.
Gene Crews & Harold J Land. Betting Land was the one with E and I, and that it was Crews we went up to visit. Thinking it could be that E had leg wounds, something bouncing off his rifle, and it was his rifle that had the busted dust cover. Too long ago, can't say for sure.

jhb
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:54 am

This is an old string and was buried on the last page. I found myself interested in it again as I added back a photo and deleted some old program direction errors that were showing up. Thought I'd bump it to the top as an example of the kind of stuff we talk about here once in a blue moon....or maybe used to talk about here once in a blue moon. :?

Return to “Alpha Company”