LT Hall's lighter.....A mystery

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

LT Hall's lighter.....A mystery

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 28, 2002 11:14 pm

Got an email from Frank Gubala who has a few web sites. One of which is http://www.9thinfantry.bravepages.com/index.html

He had a question about locating Lt. C W Hall , platoon leader of the 6/31st. Seems his lighter has shown up. There is also a question about a mysterious linked S. Now I have no idea if this is the same LT Hall of 3rd Platoon Alpha 1970 who went on to Echo Company or not. Although Plain of Reeds and Cambodia would be places the Hall I remember went I don't think he would have likely ever been at Dong Tam.

I sent Joe D a copy of the original email since he was Hall's RTO once. So Joe, here is the picture. I hope. What do you or anybody else make of it and the mysterious S's.
Attachments
lighterquestion.jpg
lighterquestion.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
Last edited by Niner Alpha on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

While I am feeling lucky with this picture posting

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed May 29, 2002 12:05 am

This is a picture Jim T sent me showing two young LTs in 1970. Lt. Hall is on the right and Lt. Premo ( not sure if name exactly right) on the left.
Attachments
11_G.jpg
johnhbullock

C. W.

Postby johnhbullock » Wed May 29, 2002 9:49 am

Trying to remember, what to say I remember the C.O. calling him Clint [Clinton?].

jhb
jodon
Sustaining Member

Re: C. W.

Postby jodon » Thu May 30, 2002 12:37 am

I just lost posting that took me an hour and a half to write. I tried to minimize the page so I could find links to cut and paste to it and it disappeared forever. Oh well musings about Memorial day and a friend lost wasn't real cheery anyway I guess. About lt Hall's lighter the linked s's are interesting, A school or fraternity emblem I dunno. I kind of remember him being from California thats about all I can contribute.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 30, 2002 9:09 pm

Lt. Hall I think was from Bakersfield California. Don't ask me why I think so. I woke up this moring and was driving to work and all of a sudden I felt sure I remembered for some reason he was from Bakersfield California....kind of like a cross between the twilight zone and the psychic hotline I guess. Accordingly I could be absolutely wrong about this.<br>
<br>
I remember once Hall heard me playing a tape my folks sent me of Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline....Lay Lady Lay, Tonight I'll be staying here with you, Peggy Day, Girl from the North Country(with Johnny Cash),etc.. It was Dylan's move into country. Lt. Hall told me he liked the tape and how growing up his dad listened to country music and he couldn't stand the stuff but somehow this Dylan record with a country twang to it fit in with Vietnam. I agreed with him. He borrowed the tape and it was blasting out of the officers club shortly after I loaned it to him.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 02, 2003 6:33 pm

This lighter post was getting lost in the back pages. It would be interesting if someone sees it and can offer any information. Like, maybe Lt. Hall himself.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Lt. Hall, now connected to this site, thinks for sure that must have been his lighter.... those are his initials for sure and how many C. W. Hall's could have been LT's in the 6/31st anyway?

Sent Frank Gubula an email....maybe he still remembers something about the original information he passed on.

"Hey Everyone - Yes, I'm alive and well in
San Diego, California. This is my current
e-mail address. Would welcome all contact.
Take Care,
Lt. Clay Hall " from the Guestbook

Return to “Alpha Company”