Friday chat could be a turning point this week.

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Friday chat could be a turning point this week.

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 pm

The Delta chat still seem to work and the Sunday chat sometimes works. Used to be the Alpha chat was the big one. Lately it's been the no chat ....chat.

I"m feeling like with the way things are going there should be less chats. Hate to see what used to be the primary one go....particularly since my connection to Alpha. But... crap.....maybe that's the way it should be.

So...I'm going to send out a registered user email invite for the Alpha chat this week and hope something happens. If nothing happens then maybe it will be a sign that maybe nobody is interested anymore and the Alpha chat will be cut from the list first..
jodon
Sustaining Member

Postby jodon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:46 am

I still pop in around nine thirty ten on occaison after I get home. Where are the die hards that can stay up that late?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

This could be the last one

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am

It's come down to the end I'm afraid. Guess all things come to an end. In fact I'm surprised it lasted as long as it has. Nobody comes to the Alpha chat now....or at least in recent weeks..

The whole thing started about five years ago with the old Ezboard site. Chuck, my new and enthusiastic "co-administrator" then, and me decided to give it a go and see if we could attract anybody. For the first six months we talked to each other for an hour each friday while we waited to see if anybody would show up. Mostly they didn't. And then little by little people would join in.

In the past...even a year or so ago...it wasn't difficult to get six or eight people on at the same time and others coming and going over two or three hours as well. And one never knew who would show or what would be said. It was the Twilight Zone for sure.

Women with some connection to the battalion would show up too. The leader of the other site showed up one night in the chat because of a post I made mentioning her brother. She had done a Google search with his name and ended up at the site and the chat room. She became a regular and she and Chuck hit it off enough to join up and start the other site. One woman, who still comes to the chats now and again did the typing for her husband at first and eventually the husband stayed in front of the TV and she not only did the typing but the dictating too. Widows showed up as well in hopes of being able to talk to guys that had known their husbands. Two widows eventually sent in photos from their husbands albums to post as tribute in our collected album.

Plenty of wierd stuff happened from time to time. We had one guy who didn't have a computer so he would call somebody who was on the chat and get an update on what was being said and offer his own two cents worth. Eventually he got a computer and moved on to the other site chat room after the rebellion.

Some guys would show up, tell some story that had been bothering them for a long time that they had never told anyone since the war. You could feel the level of energy as the story was told. Then, with confession made and absolution achieved, they would go away and, most times, not return again.

Lots of inside information passed in the chats about all sorts of stuff happening or not happening in the Association and reunions and the like too,

We would talk about things we remembered often enough, but mostly we talked about our lives today. The things that concerned us. The things we did for fun. Thetrips we took. The health issues. The future.

And I suspect most of us lifted a few brews while we chatted as well. I know I did.

The Alpha chat could end tonight due to shrinking interest. The Delta Chat and Sunday Chat will remain for now. The biggest reason seems to be the end of the fasinatlion ...we just wore it out I guess. And.... no new blood has come along to feel the fasination anew.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 pm

And the answer is in..

Return to “Alpha Company”