Remember the tiger?

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Remember the tiger?

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 27, 2008 12:41 pm

This is a story I remember although the details are fuzzy. Does anybody else remember this?

Sometime in the first third of 1970. Gettysburg. One night I was on radio watch in the company CP taking sitreps. Sometime well into the night somebody on watch calls in from one of the ambush positions and says a "big dog" had come into his location and had settled down with them. Later, maybe the next day, turns out the "dog" was a tiger and somebody shot it and later that morning two tiger scouts had it slung, paws tied over a pole and had brought it in. They expected to take it back to the locals and have it turned into food I'd think.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Tiger

Postby jtier » Fri May 30, 2008 11:15 pm

II remember a night when I was on CP at Gettysburg, a LP had movement and fired on it. In the morning they went out to investigate, they found a body of a cat. It was about the size of a medium size dog. It was gray with black stripes like a tiger. I believe it was a fishing cat almost extinct at the time. AND the tiger scouts did make #1 chop chop out of it. Definitely in the 1970 period what month I have no idea.

Jim
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Probably the same cat, Jim. Seemed a pretty large cat that I remember seeing. The cats back was draging the ground while it hung suspended by it's tied paws from a pole between the two vietnamese....but some of the scouts were pretty short too. Maybe it wasn't as big as I remember. :D

Return to “Alpha Company”