6 May 68

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else, post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Bruce Swander
Contributing Member

6 May 68

Postby Bruce Swander » Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:23 pm

Early in the morning, one soldier (from Louisiana) is hit by a dud M-79 round that may have come from the ARVN's. The plt found the unexpeded round, with some flesh still on it. Can anyone put a name to this WIA?

About an hour previously, Pfc Bobby Childs had been hit and subsequently dies before being dusted off. He is the first casualty of A Co in-country.

I will be posting various A Co incidents in order to put names to faces based on the Bn Daily logs. Anyone that can fill in details (e.g. platoon numbers) would be helpful.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

This is an old post

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:18 pm

I've been cleaning up old posts by posting back pictures long lost in links. And I saw this post by Bruce.

Later there was a response on the Wall page under Child's name. It is as follows:

[SFC Otis E. Saunders (Ret.)]

I was at Bobby's side the morning he died. I took a wound myself and was later shipped back to the States for 18 months of recovery. Bobby was one of the best guys I served with in my career in the Army. I tried to go back to Vietnam to avenge his death but they wouldn't let me. It appeared that he took a full load from an ak47. He will always be remembered by me.

SFC Otis E. Saunders (Ret.)
Tee

Re: 6 May 68

Postby Tee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 am

I believe the soldier hit by the M79 round to be Sgt. Land. I was also there when Bobby Childs was KIA byAK47 fire.

Return to “Alpha Company”