Very Interesting Branson Reunion Stat

This forum was created for information about the very successful first battalion stand alone reunion in June of 2015. It remains to remember the success and perhaps to encourage planning of another such reunion in the future.

Moderators: Delta75, Niner Alpha

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Very Interesting Branson Reunion Stat

Postby Delta75 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Very interesting Branson Reunion Stat.

Out of the 190 men attending the Branson Reunion...only 70 (37%) were Association members, thus 120 men (63%) were not Association members. Since the quarterly Association Newsletter is the primary form of communication for the yearly 31st Regiment Association reunions, and since, not being members, these 120 men do not receive the quarterly newsletter, the chances of them even knowing about the 31st Regiment Association Sacramento reunion, were not very good; that is, until they were informed of the reunion at the 6/31st Branson Reunion.

There had been some concern from the 31st Regiment Association that the stand-alone 6/31st Branson Reunion might "dilute" the September 2015 31st Regiment Association Sacramento, CA reunion. Now that the 120 non-members have actually been made aware of the Sacramento reunion, they might even increase the Sacramento attendance.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Very Interesting Branson Reunion Stat

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 pm

The potential new Association members that the Association had never contacted before were informed of the Association Reunion at our reunion by a former Regiment Commander at the Memorial service during the open microphone segment. Hardly in keeping with the purpose of the gathering meant to remember those we served with that have passed on. It wasn't known before hand by myself or Jerry White or Mike Moynahan, who was in charge of the service, that this sales pitch was going to be made and we wouldn't have authorized it if asked before hand because of the nature of the Memorial Service. When I handed him the microphone I thought he wanted to mention his old Company Commander who died just months ago. Fooled me. That wasn't on his mind. But....be that as it may.... the Association is followed by some who fully support it and who have done so for years. A few of them are actually still friends of mine. I don't want to do anything to ruin that. I wish the Association all the best.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:57 am

I am a Life Time member of the Association, and I consider the former Regiment Commander who you mention as a fine man, and my Brother, but as to the 31st Regiment Association "sales pitch" during the most moving and emotional memorial service that many of us have ever attended????? After the service, I received quite a few comments from those attending, such as: "wrong place/wrong time, inappropriate, and disrespectful". I too wish nothing but success for the Association, too include attendance at their reunions, but there is a time and a place for everything, and, in my opinion, the Memorial Service was definitely the wrong place and the wrong time.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 am

I was sorry to see that the 31st Regiment Association didn't mention the results of our 6/31st Branson reunion in their latest quarterly newsletter. I had been warned not to expect it, but my hopes had been that they would. Especially since, at the Branson reunion, 120 men were informed about their 2015 Sacramento reunion who otherwise would not even have know about it.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:58 am

And... apparently.. they didn't ask for a list of the new men that showed up either, did they Jerry? I haven't heard a peep out of any of the officers of the Association about anything. I heard early on that they felt insulted that we would do what we did. One senior "leader" told me that he quieted the outrage and told them that they would benefit from the numbers that our reunion attracted. I made it clear to him that we weren't acting in any way for the intentional benefit of the Association nor at the same time to hurt them either. What we were doing was as different as football is to golf comparing us to them. Our focus was on one thing... the most inclusive gathering of as many old 6/31st men as possible. We succeeded at that and were more successful than we had expected to begin with.

At this juncture, the Association need not ask for a list with contact information of potential new members from the Branson attendance from me. They won't get it. It would be a disservice to those who accepted the invitation to the Branson reunion to hand them over to the Association in a way that would suggest that I recommended the Association. But..I doubt ...from all evidence.... if the Association is actively looking for new members. Instead, they seem to think new members will come looking for them.

I'm thinking of something as an alternative to the Association in line with what we began with the Branson reunion. But it is only thinking at the moment. If I get the urge, I might get out the old mass email list and start asking some questions again about a different course of action for building connections between us...all of us. It takes more than one person to start a successful revolution you know. At the moment I have some thoughts and issues to deal with that may preclude me wanting to proceed on this course of action. Time will tell.

Return to “6/31st Stand Alone Reunion Project June 2015”