Your comments on the reunion and suggestions for the future

This forum was created for information about the very successful first battalion stand alone reunion in June of 2015. It remains to remember the success and perhaps to encourage planning of another such reunion in the future.

Moderators: Delta75, Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Your comments on the reunion and suggestions for the future

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:42 am

Jerry and I got a request for a chance to comment on the reunion that has just ended and make suggestions for how to organize a future reunion. This is your chance to share what you didn't like about it as much as what you did. What should have happened that didn't? What kind of path should we follow for producing another one that is even bigger and better before we are all too old to attend reunions?

Keep in mind the following.

1. Jerry and I got into this because we thought it needed doing, particularly in reaching out to guys that had never been reached out to before to produce a reunion focused only on our battalion.

2. Jerry and I don't intend to spearhead a reunion again. At least in the foreseeable future.

3. We did learn a lot of things about how to do it and what it really costs and how to find hotels and how to send out information and a lot of other things that we could share with anyone wanting to do this kind of thing again. We would more than gladly share lessons learned and assist in many ways. The cost isn't nearly as much as some would think. This whole reunion was produced with a total of much less than three thousand dollars in total donations , including paying for nearly 2000 post cards mailed, web searches, beer that never ran out, soda, water, hat pins, etc.

4. The Association and the 6/31st stand alone reunion could go together like , in the words of Forrest Gump, Peas and Carrots. But that's not how it is. So you will have to keep this in mind if you step up to the plate and join a group willing to make the next stand alone reunion.

Post your comments here in this string. You do have to register as a member of this board to comment, if you aren't already. It's simple to do. Handle, make up a password, answer the spambot question. I'll send you a return email saying you are a member.
bulldog

Re: Your comments on the reunion and suggestions for the fut

Postby bulldog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 am

Something I posted on facebook a few days after I got home from the reunion. It's the reason I am glad I went now. Thanks to all who made this reunion an event to remember.

Pat Havermale
June 8 at 2:15pm ·
My Vietnam reunion is now history. I had to attend by myself which killed any group couple festivities so I took my mountain bike to amuse myself at some fantastic trails close by. Since nobody else brought theirs, I had to go by myself.
After Thursday night's mixer, I thought "What am I doing here?" I didn't recognize or remember anybody and my buddies I wanted to see were already dead. Friday, I did my own thing, riding some great trails and sight seeing.
Saturday morning's memorial service at the Starlight theater made me realize I needed to be there. Every veteran there went through the same fear, grief, despair and guiltiness I felt after coming back to the states. We are truly a band of brothers!
I made some new friends Saturday and will stay in touch with them in the coming years. We all still share three things with our other brothers: pain, pride in serving and patriotism forever!
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:21 am

Well said Bulldog (Pat)!

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm a little surprised nobody else has anything to say. Maybe it takes a while for an evaluation of what happened to sink in. Maybe some think if they are all in favor of it happening again they are, at the same time, afraid to say it because they feel like it would be stepping forward and volunteering to take part in leading it.

I was a little hard at the reunion on some guys who would come up to me and say they wanted another one and I said in nearly every case... Well, will you be the chairman? It was unfair in a personal way because I was putting them on the spot , but to me it was a general question that needs to be answered if somebody like Jerry and I don't step forward in the future. That's why I said it.

The Regiment Association may change it's stripes and get aware of our group and make an actual attempt to reach out to all of us. But... that's not the way I'd bet. They have never done it in the past...at least in any way close to the way Jerry and I did. They are wedded to the future 4/31st guys they hope will tie to them. At the same time they have obvious organizational problems. See their website that doesn't advertise their present reunion this year as an example of what I mean. They are all that exists that promises a reunion every year for as long as they last. Maybe that's good. Another ten years and probably half of us ..at best... will still be alive anyway. And half of whatever is left won't be doing any traveling.

Maybe this Branson Reunion was not only the best hurrah of the old and fast aging 6/31st... but the last. I'm glad I played a part in making it happen. But it need not be the last if enough people want it to not be the last.

Return to “6/31st Stand Alone Reunion Project June 2015”