We have gotten donations to reach out to guys on the Reunion

This forum was created for information about the very successful first battalion stand alone reunion in June of 2015. It remains to remember the success and perhaps to encourage planning of another such reunion in the future.

Moderators: Delta75, Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

We have gotten donations to reach out to guys on the Reunion

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Jerry White sent out an email asking for help in paying for the mail campaign to guys we don't have emails for. We have about 1700 guys we can reach out to. As of now we have collected a surprising,to me, but very gratifying response in donations. All of the addresses we have will be contacted. We have received enough money to reach out to everyone at least once by mail that have no email address. The donate button in the top of this forum is how guys who donated sent their donations. If you were to click on it it will look like you are giving money to Milsurp After hours, which is my other more visited site, but all donations received are recognized for this 6th of the 31st project and used only for it. Any excess money after all mailings will be used for name tags and refreshments and other such things at the reunion.

The men who have contributed ...in order of receiving funds:

John Western
John Cotter
Kenneth Odom
George Williams
Mike Harter
Richard Dorn
Bob Martinez
Bill McMullen
Richard Custer
Bob Stewart
Jack Bradford
Terry Nedelka

First contributions....... before Jerry's email....to help with the mailing costs were from

Vernon Weed
Darwin Betzer
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: We have gotten donations to reach out to guys on the Reu

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 pm

We now, with donations through today, have enough money to contact everybody we have a means of contacting with enough funds left over to do follow up mailing to whatever extend that we see as beneficial. Excess funds remaining at reunion time will be used in whatever way needed for the reunion.

Thanks to everybody who contributed.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 am

No more contributions for mailing are needed. We have all the money for this project we need. We are going to send back checks to Jimmy Apel and Sam Martin that are now in the mail to us.

Jerry has sent out emails to let the guys he asked know we are appreciative of the donations and that the response is now a completed overwhelming success. A deeply grateful thanks goes out to each of them that made the effort to contribute.

It has been quite gratifying to see the response from Jerry's email. Guys really want the word to get out to men who wouldn't otherwise have known about this reunion, or any kind of reunion, now or ever before.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Somewhere in this site I had mentioned weeks ago that Vern Weed and Darwin Betzer had contributed to the cost of the Post Cards. Somehow it had gotten lost to my view wherever I had posted it so I added their name in the top post in this string and noted that they had lead the contributions from before Jerry's letter. Maybe I had deleted it when cleaning up some redundant strings.... can't say... I'm getting old and forgetful besides playing with a few cards discorded from the deck.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Tommy Rosati sent us a check for $113 to pay for the Bravo mail. When told we had it covered with the donations we had received already and we were sending the check back he told us to use the money for the Reunion however we can use it.
And...we will. Thanks Tommy.

Jimmy Apel from Alpha sent a $105 and didn't want it back when we told him we had enough for the mailing. It will be used in some way for the Reunion.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Useful Donations

Postby Ron » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:32 am

Niner and Jerry,

Now that you're receiving or have received more money than you expected to cover the post card issue I would expect that you might need it again for further P.C. mailings. Maybe even down the road one might think about setting up a separate fund towards a PX or private photography coverage of further 'Stand Alone' reunions.
I'm sure you might be seeing more of us making charitable contributions towards other reunions. This will be your first event and ideas and or monies might be happening in years to come! :) Good luck!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:43 am

Ron, you want to be the chairman of the next Stand Alone Reunion? Jerry and I have decided that this is our first and last hurrah. Although, maybe we should wait and see how this all turns out and let what reaction we get from those who show up predict the future. We would hope others will step forward and pick up the leadership gauntlet on any future stand alone reunions.

As to the mail thing.... Chuck Thrush... Big Red One and Ron's and my long time Thursday night Chat friend.... has printed for us over 1400 labels for post cards that will go out in the next week or two. He volunteered because he had recent experience as chairman of a high school reunion mailer. Of the list he printed probably a quarter are wrong ... but we know it from delving into a free online search that we weren't aware of previously. The online search puts us on to the new correct address and these will be researched and used in the next mailing from the next batch of post cards we have ordered. This person by person research and confirmation of address takes a while.

How many people show up when it happens is anyone's guess. We think it's likely we will gather more 6/31st guys than have ever shown up at a Regiment reunion. We do know we will have contacted more people than the Regiment reunions ever contacted by the time we are done.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Richard Hayworth sent us a check for the reunion for $100 that will be added to the reunion funds.

Return to “6/31st Stand Alone Reunion Project June 2015”