The present status of the reunion Dec. 12, 2014

This forum was created for information about the very successful first battalion stand alone reunion in June of 2015. It remains to remember the success and perhaps to encourage planning of another such reunion in the future.

Moderators: Delta75, Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The present status of the reunion Dec. 12, 2014

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:59 am

The requirements of the reunion location search are simple enough it seems:

1. Nashville, Tennessee...because that's where the multiple location selection votes pointed.
2.Three nights duration in the first half of June, 2015. Again, according to votes received.
3. A decent hotel that offers a gathering room at no extra charge.
4. A hotel that offers a group rate that doesn't exceed, or by much exceed, $100 a night.
5. A hotel relatively close to entertainment venues.

In addition there were secondary questions of entertainment and meeting opportunities. One such, suggested by Tim Miller, was the Jackson Riverboat cruise and show. http://www.generaljackson.com/ Other multiple open choices and some facilitation arrangements would be desirable ..... like getting tickets and transportation to various tourist attractions. A free shuttle to and from the airport was also a desired condition that shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Tim had connections in the reunion event world and so he attempted this project with high hopes and expectations. However, his sources were not able to deliver on any of our requirements after two months of time to do so.

So now I'm trying to see what I can put together. I'm finding the four and five star hotels are mostly in the $200 a night range and that's twice what we need. I'm also now finding that the first weekend in June, starting June 5 is during a major CMA event in Nashville and has hotels reluctant to give any deals. Some won't even talk to me at the full rate. However, the following weekend, starting June 12, is more likely to produce better offers....which I found out only yesterday.

Currently I have out more than one request for offers and I'm creating some more requests. I'm getting some response back that would produce a reasonable rate but also, so far, have other things not up to snuff...like distance from venue's , weak reviews for condition or services or not large enough or not offering a gathering room.

I'm not sure now that Nashville, as a location in June, is going to work out. And I don't want to force something that looks like it is going to be seriously tainted in one way or the other in the incidentals of production.....just to make sure it happens. But ....I've only begun to seriously attempt to see what I can do myself. It just doesn't seem possible that a city as big as Nashville can't provide a location that would be satisfactory. And..... I'd really hate to see this reunion not come off for a number of reasons.

So.... stay tuned for further announcements.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: The present status of the reunion Dec. 12, 2014

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:48 pm

After many contacts with hotels in Nashville with no acceptable results the plain truth has to be admitted. That is... during the time frame of early June, Nashville is busy with events and the hotels are not having any trouble filling rooms. Half of the ones I've contacted don't even want to talk about it. Some...even marginal ones as far as quality... like Holiday Inn are making crazy responses with rates way out of line for our needs. Tim Miller was getting the same kind of responses over a longer period of time and with a hotel chain he had connections to by long experience getting other reunions going for various groups.

So... we are falling back on plan B. When we were getting responses to locations as to where we should have the reunion, Branson was a close second choice. Branson seems more veteran friendly and won't likely have the same market situation. I am undertaking an effort to see what Branson hotels can offer. One of them I'm working with at the moment is interested and has handled more than a few veterans events in the recent past, including one for my other Vietnam battalion while in the 101st.

What is going to happen next is I'm going to work on getting some solid offers relative to date, room expense, and a basic outline of proposed agenda details...for Branson ...and give up on Nashville as a lost cause. If I can come up with a plan that seems workable, a group email will go out to as many as expressed even a moderate interest in attending such a reunion. Then we will count heads again and decide to move forward or not. If we get to that point, post cards and other contact means will go out to the larger list of names without email addresses.

Return to “6/31st Stand Alone Reunion Project June 2015”