A mass email will be going out soon about a Reunion

This forum was created for information about the very successful first battalion stand alone reunion in June of 2015. It remains to remember the success and perhaps to encourage planning of another such reunion in the future.

Moderators: Delta75, Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

A mass email will be going out soon about a Reunion

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:59 pm

There will be an email sent out to everybody on the main 6/31st Roster who has an email with the following message. When you get the email please consider answering it with your reaction. If you don't get an email in the next few days, you can respond here in this string.

The message is this:

A few of us who served with the 6/31st in Vietnam are interested in your response to five questions. If an independent battalion reunion looks interesting to you, please reply. Depending on the answers received, a second email may be sent with further choices to firm up a location and time. Then, based on this qualifying second email, a final plan for the first ever 6/31st battalion reunion will be formulated and actions commenced to make it happen.

Questions:
1. Would you be interested in a stand alone 6/31st Battalion reunion independent of the 31st Regiment Association?
2. List a destination or destinations, with tourist appeal, that you would suggest for a reunion location as a place you would like to visit.
3. When would be the best time of year for you to attend?
4. What kind of group events would you like to see?
5. What suggestions do you offer to make this potential event more appealing to you?

If this project goes forward a committee will be formed to work out details. We would hope members from each former company would take a leadership role in this.

The Regiment reunion schedule, as of last forecast, is 2015 Sacramento and Ft. Drum 2016. The idea is to avoid either approximate location or August.
This email is going out to everyone on the master Roster created and maintained by Jerry White.

At the moment, Jerry White and myself are the guiding force behind this idea.

Robert Stewart
6thofthe31st.com
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: A mass email will be going out soon about a Reunion

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:10 am

About 580 emails have been sent out. Only three were not received because of full mailboxes or some other reason. There are about as many more men who we don't have emails for as those for whom we do. But.. if we get enough response from the emails and we carry this forward, then other forms of communication will be used to contact those we have addresses and or phone numbers for.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: A mass email will be going out soon about a Reunion

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 am

So far I have received a surprising number of responses. Jerry has sent out emails as well to the Delta Company group and he has copied me with the responses he has gotten. Overwhelmingly the emails recevied reflect a positive response to the idea. Of the few that weren't in favor of participating, two guys mentioned they couldn't attend because of health problems. One guy didn't want to be contacted because he went to one reunion once and it brought on PTSD symptoms. One guy thought we were undermining the 31st Regiment Association. And one guy would go but would miss interacting with present day young soldiers of the 4/31st. But more than probably attended this recent last Regiment Association reunion were very much in favor of the idea. But we are still a long way from making it into a solid plan and could use a lot more input and encouragement.

Some of the responses. Just a few of them. I'll copy and paste here so anybody who has hesitated to send in their thoughts can get an idea of what guys are saying.

The first response came almost immediately:

Richard Dorn, "Yes, no qualifications."

Then they started to come in every few minutes all day long.

Stand alone is fine with me. Tourist is OK also. Anytime of the year is fine. Rhett Krone.

1) Yes

2) Cleveland, Ohio or any place that I can get to via airplane with least expense.

Cleveland OH has many interesting attractions such as the RocknRoll HOF, NFL HOF, Moderate summer temperatures, River & Lake Cruises, All Major Sporting venues, an hours drive from the famous Cedar Point Amusement Park, the world famous Cleveland Orchestra (which plays a summer concert series), and many other tourist attractions.

3) Mid July

4) Sporting events, City area tours, Cultural events, and good restaurants.

5) Friday meet and greet with Wine and Cheese party sounds good. Never been to any of these events or
reunions because I don't really know if I would meet anyone there I served with. I would consider serving on the organizational committee or participating in anyway you see fit.

Sincerely,
George Williams

1. Would you be interested in a stand alone 6/31st Battalion
reunion independent of the 31st Regiment Association?
Yes
2. List a destination or destinations, with tourist appeal, that you
would suggest for a reunion location as a place you would like to visit.
Chicago, IL; New York, NY; Branson, MO; Denver, CO; Orlando, FL.
Early Summer or even early Autumn
Something outdoors & NOT the post gun range! Maybe military outdoor exhibits like ships, aircraft.
Musicals, self guided tours or possibly something recreational.

5. What suggestions do you offer to make this potential event more
appealing to you?
Have a dinner gathering w/o all the alcoholic mixing and maybe better music. Make these gatherings more favorable for the
wives to enjoy also. Make it so that these gatherings will be enjoyable and w/o politics - just pure pleasure!

Ron Raymond

Yes I would be interested in a 6/31st reunion. As to preference, any place any time. Don Rutkowski Charlie Co. 1968

Robert,
I would be interested in a 6/31 reunion, independent of the regiment. I
would like to see it happen in the winter in a warm climate, like Arizona,
or Florida. Events would be whatever the local area offered.
Thanks,
Tom Slining
Delta 6

Robert its good to hear from you, yes I'am still kicking, to answer your questions, YES< as I mention to jerry, go east, than mid than west coast, we have great locations to pick from, a hotel in Branson keeps sending me deals on reunions, San Antonio, is good Nevada is good, California is good, We have to get out of only putting them next to Military Bases, find something that can be done to keep everyone going, Disney world or Disneyland, side trips shopping site seeing, actives, like boat trips, rail road, April may or june, we are not getting any younger, weather, not to hot not to cold, We have the Reno Air Races here in Reno in Sept. I can get great deals for us. Yes I would like to sit on that committee if possiable. any way I can help let me know. I will be in Texas tomorrow in San Antonio give me a call
Tim Miller

1. Would you be interested in a stand alone 6/31st Battalion
reunion independent of the 31st Regiment Association?
Yes
2. List a destination or destinations, with tourist appeal, that you
would suggest for a reunion location as a place you would like to visit.
Anywhere in the central part of the country, maybe Austin or San Antonio
For me the late fall, but I think I could attend most anytime
I'm clueless on that
5. What suggestions do you offer to make this potential event more
appealing to you?
I've never attended this sort of reunion, so I have no expectations.
Terry Nicodemus

Return to “6/31st Stand Alone Reunion Project June 2015”