Half a century ago today 6/31st landed in Vietnam

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Half a century ago today 6/31st landed in Vietnam

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:20 pm

On this date the 6th of the 31st landed in Vietnam April 4th 1968 US time or maybe April 5th Vietnam time. Wonder if the Regiment Association will make note of it at the next reunion?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Half a century ago today 6/31st landed in Vietnam

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Mike McConnell, Charlie Company, was there and posted this memory on his facebook page April 4, 2018.

Mike McConnell
50 years ago today I was in Guam on my way to Vietnam. Dr. King was assassinated while I was on Guam however I did not learn about it until 12 to 15 hours later when I first arrived in Vietnam. This is the day I will never forget. The main body of our battalion arrived at Bien Hoa on April 5. All of us arrived with a duffle bag, web gear, and camouflage-covered helmets, looking like infantrymen of the era should. Weapons were quickly retrieved from the planes’ cargo bays, but to everyone’s shock, there was no place on the airfield to draw ammunition. With the temperature hovering above 100˚, the battalion traveled its next 20 miles in open trucks to the 9th Division’s base camp named Bearcat Base. It seemed insane to be without ammunition in a war zone and to travel in crowded trucks that would have been death traps in an ambush. At home, Martin Luther King was assassinated just hours before the main body arrived, stirring racial tensions in the post’s oppressive atmosphere. I feel that my 2nd Platoon was a band of brothers and do not remember race relations being an issue for us. We had several soldiers in my platoon who were black and hispanic and we had lived and trained together for months. I was close to Victor Arroyo, who was from Columbia and was not an American Citizen. Ernie Carter was a black man and we got along well. I believe my upbringing, especially what I was taught by my parents, helped me get along with everyone, regardless of race. The Pacific Stars and Stripes (soldiers’ overseas newspaper) and Armed Forces Radio delivered a steady barrage of unsettling news about race riots aflame in the nation’s largest cities, causing some to worry more about families back home than themselves in a war zone.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Niner Alpha wrote:On this date the 6th of the 31st landed in Vietnam April 4th 1968 US time or maybe April 5th Vietnam time. Wonder if the Regiment Association will make note of it at the next reunion?

Sure they will.......just like everything else........ :roll:

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:18 pm

I changed the opening page. Del Bumann's photos.
Attachments
collage.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

I got to Delta 6/31st a little less than a year later, in early '69.

Vern.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”