The draft lottery

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The draft lottery

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Saw this link. Put in your birthday and see if you would have been drafted in 1970. My number would have been 232 and 231 was the last number to be drafted for 1970. The only problem was... I was in Vietnam in 1970 and drafted in the summer of 1969.

https://www.usatoday.com/vietnam-war/draft-picker
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Re: The draft lottery

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 am

I got put into the Army when I just turned 17. I was going to get 2 years for stealing cars, but they said I could do 2 years in the Army. Sometimes after firefight in the jungle, I would wonder if I did the right thing, ha ha ha
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Charlie, didn't you do some time in Korea before Vietnam?

Speaking of your choice of Army or incarceration, I went through basic with a couple of guys who got in the Army that way. I had a high school friend who wanted to join the Navy. He was rejected because he had been convicted of stealing water melons once. He wasn't considered moral enough to kill people after stealing water melons. But the Navy wasn't much of a combat force in Vietnam so I guess they were allowed "high standards". The friend died a year later in a traffic accident. Maybe if he had been allowed in the Navy he'd still be living as a now senior citizen.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Seems like I would have been drafted, my number was 194. Although some sources say the
last number drafted was 194, and others say 195. This was for men born between 1-1-'44 and 12-31-'50.
So I would have been one of the last drafted. I think Robert's 231 number may not be correct, according to
the USA Today link, and others, 195 was the last number drafted. Sept 4 (232) would not have been drafted.
The drawing was on Dec 1, 1969 for men to be drafted in 1970.
Draft lotteries were conducted again in 1971 (for those born in 1952) and 1972 to 1976 (for 1953 to 1956 births).

Before the lottery, they just drafted who ever they needed. I joined in July '67, before I got drafted, since I didn't
want to end up in the infantry in RVN. Went to FADAC repair school, they didn't need repairmen, sent me to
artillery school, went to RVN and ended up on the FO team.... WITH THE INFANTRY!!
Boy, I sure outsmarted them... should have just gotten drafted and not spent the extra year in the Army....... :mrgreen:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I'll take your word for it. But this is what I get with my month and date of birth in. Maybe the December 69 number would have been something else or the site comment is just wrong. Whatever.... it makes no difference.

Before the lottery.. in 69.. they took the oldest on the list first. I graduated from college one month and was drafted the next.

I was given a choice of going to OCS for artillery. They forgot to send me to an officer board to get examined to see if I was officer material or not and I was already in FDC school when they realized I should have gotten the interview and been moved to the OCS AIT class. I thought maybe working in the FDC would keep me alive and I didn't want to spend the extra time in the Army either since two years active duty wouldn't start ticking until after OCS. I told them I changed my mind. Instead I spent nearly nine months in the bush and was the acting FO anyway. Most LT FO's spent less than six months in the field. And... when I came back to the states to a battery full of hard strip corporals I did a lot of KP and parking lot guarding. At least I came out alive. :)
Attachments
DSC07357.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Yes, 232 would not be drafted. But you said 231 was the last number drafted, but if you put in
Sept 24 (195) it says you would be drafted, then put in Oct 24 (196) you would NOT be drafted.
So it seems 195 was the last number drafted, not 231. That's what I meant......

Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm

My fault. It was the birthday one day before and not the number one number before. :oops:
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm

I would have been drafted, but if my birthday was the day before or the day after, not drafted.... :roll:

Vern

Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey Now, what happened to me I went before a Judge in DC, it was the second time I was to see him for stealing cars. He told me he was going to give 18 months in prison, orrrrrrrrrrr, and he let me stand there for a bit, freaking out, and finally he said would your dad sign you out of school into the Army, for 2 years. My dad was with me and in 48 hrs. I was on a bus to FT. Benning! Since I was 2 days past my 17th birthday, they sent me to Korea. I am very proud to have been in the 2nd Inf. Div. A crack unit for sure, I did combat patrols in the DMZ, we had better equipment then the N koreans, they would tell us to move to avoid their patrols! No doubt they would have hit us. The best part was 24hrs. on, 24hrs. with all those Asian girls, oh yea! Now here's the big laugh, when they flashed 10,000 grand in front of a getto boy after 4 months, I took it to go to Nam! Smart huh!?!? Hahahaha, being 17 did not mean nothing at that point! In 2 weeks I was with the 9th Inf. Div., by the way in the 1st Cav., all my officers were from West Point, but Capt. Lowe of the 6-31st was awesome! Have been to his grave in Arlington National, it was really good to pay my respect to a fine officer! I did not mean to rattle on, the VA says it is good to do that, as always, I hope I did not upset any one!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Now that's an different way to get to Vietnam. Did you have to extend your enlistment to get the bounty money? Never heard that story from anyone before. Interesting. Did you made 18 before actual entry into Vietnam?
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Yes, I re-enlisted for 4 years, more interested in the money as you can imagine. But the thing is, I saved, and saved, and two years after I got out,bought into a strip club in DC called the GOOD GUYS. I must say it was probably the most fun I had in my life! This is why I have been married 5 times, and have many children. GOD has been good to me Robert, and I have come a long way from the War! I almost died two months ago, my kidneys shut down, the hospital told my wife I was not going to make it, but I did. You should have seen all my ex-wifa, children, and grand children, even I freaked out, hahahaha! I have to take morphine and percoset, every day, can't walk if I don't. But I want to live as long as I can you know? I try to tell the vets at the VA, keep going you know? I hope no one get upset at me writing in this site, I have alot of memory of D CO. 6TH OF THE 31ST!

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”