Stuff you see related to Vietnam

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Stuff you see related to Vietnam

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:36 pm

I wanted to get out of the house today. I went to the USS Alabama memorial park. There is a Vietnam memorial there .. particularly for the Alabama veterans who died in Vietnam. It has two wall lists. One lists every Wall casualty from locally and another larger one for all the military lives lost in Vietnam from the state of Alabama. There is a Huey up on a raised stand and a statue. The statue looks like a Vet come to remember the dead. He has on combat boots and a cap that says Vietnam Veteran. What is really strange is... people are leaving coins and other things. A small cross in memory of someone. A POW bracelet. A flag and a flower....and.... at the base... between the statute's two boots are a pair of toddlers shoes..that are not matching.
Attachments
face.jpg
DSC03070.jpg
DSC03082.jpg
DSC03084.jpg
DSC03072.jpg
DSC03073.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Stuff you see related to Vietnam

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm

I think that is a very common thing at memorials, there is a warehouse full of things that have been
left at the black wall VN memorial in DC. Like all the flowers people leave at the scene of a tragedy, I remember
on the news all the flowers left outside the palace when Princess Di died. No idea why people leave things,
they just do.
Another thing is leaving coins on headstones at military cemeteries, again, don't know why.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Leaving coins on headstones is a Jewish thing of long standing that has nothing to do with Vietnam. I know a couple of Jews.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 pm

I didn't know about the Jewish tradition.

"Leaving coins on the headstones of those who served in the Military, especially those who died in combat,
dates back at least as far as the Roman Empire." ......From The Military Salute Project webpage.
That seems to be the general opinion. But in doing a little research online, many seem to agree with this, but none
know where it came from. Even Snopes couldn't find an actual reference from before 2009, although I'm pretty sure
it dates back to before that. So I give it a big .... whatever.
I also had read it on the internet and thought it went way back......... I'm so ashamed. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm just surprised that nobody stole the money yet. Must have been a collection over several days.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”