Is the end in sight for the 31st Association?

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Is the end in sight for the 31st Association?

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:58 am

If you ever paid them any dues ... the lifetime dues... you got two mailings on the same day recently. One was a long recital of what passes for bylaws along with a statement that the Constitution is being changed to show that reunions are to be held every other year instead of each year. The point of the separate mailing was to solicit votes to change the every year constitutional requirement. It offers a mail in choice, an email your choice and the option of voting at the August reunion. Two thirds of the members have to approve. But... there is the "silence is consent" rule which means that anybody on their membership list that doesn't vote will be counted as voting for the change that whoever is really in charge proposes. It's a sure thing that the every other year thing will pass because of this silent consent rule.

Seeing it as a done deal, the question comes to mind...what does the Association, with all it's fine officers and board and regional potentates, have to do other than take a bow at a yearly reunion? It must be tiring to carry around all those titles and empty responsibilities. It also must be taxing to have to spend money going to reunions every year, including Watertown New York every other year. After all, the same people are officers all the time, they just rotate them around from time to time. Maybe it gets expensive and some of them got to adding up the travel expenses and would prefer to go some place fun on limited vacation resources... or their wives would.

Could it be that the Association has, by the recent mailing, just warned the membership that it is about to fade into the sunset? And... judging by the last few expenditure statements read into the minutes of the last few meetings, they have been spending many thousands each of the last few years, of their once fairly substantial treasury, on God knows what, so there won't likely be that to try to deal with when the door is closed for good. The punch bowl can stay in the museum where it belongs and the modern 4/31st can breath a sigh of relief that the Association won't be leaching off of them any longer while reliving past history that none of them has a reason to give a damn about.

Looks like the quarterly newsletter is forecast to be reduced to three times a year as well. So... you will .. after next month only get evidence of their existence only a few times between now and the next possible reunion in two years. Of course, I'm forgetting, there is the website... the one that has no guestbook, no working messageboard, no report of what the Association does to justify its existence...and not even an email address to ask a question. But it does look more lively than it has looked since it was stone cold dead for half dozen years. To me it's like something had been brought miraculously from the dead ...only to be alive in a coma.

So...anybody agree with me? I think you can take your fork out of the drawer and get ready to poke them. They are nearly done.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Is the end in sight for the 31st Association?

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Am a lifetime member but have gotten no mailings from them recently, so guess I will keep
checking my mailbox........ :mrgreen:
And since I was only "attached" to the 6/31st on the FO team, and have never been to any reunion,
I don't say too much about their activities or need to go to their web site......... 8)

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Ever since the Association discontinued reaching out to "non-members", and notifying them of the annual reunion, the reunion attendance numbers have declined; thus, changing the reunion from annual to "even" years only, is probably a good idea. I am sure that the Association is thinking that less frequent reunions might result in higher attendance.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:59 pm

What they said was...
Attachments
year.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:12 am

"While your views as a member can be made known on our website"..... Somebody please explain how you personally do that. And... since we are old now and .. poor... and we are sensitive to the needs of the 4/31st , which is the key battalion, in attending a convention more interesting to them than the Regiment Association.. and ...well.....not looking real healthy to me as an organization.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:52 pm

I wonder if they even bothered to have a "business meeting" at the last Regiment Association reunion? Got a feeling they even DX'ed that. Maybe the "board" met instead. I think...from some round about information... that the once every couple of years multi battalion from all times reunion is now the certified course for the future replacing the every year, including every other year, FT. Drum reunion plan. If this makes Drum the location every four years or not I have no idea.

The Association has never promoted battalion reunions where men had their only ties to other men from their service time...ever. It's all about the mythical Regiment and has always been. They have never been closely connected to historical reality from the start. There was no 31st Regiment in Vietnam. It was off the table of organization. If it had been, why would the 4/31st be in one division and the 6/31st in another division and another battalion at the same time in Korea in yet another division?

This site...for as long as it lasts.. is the only focal point for creating an interest in producing any further large 6th of the 31st battalion reunions ever again..... as I see it anyway. Otherwise, the good coming out of meeting again face to face with people we served with... with no requirement for dues or registration fees ... particularly for those who have never experienced it.. will never happen again.

We have these Skype chats on Thursday nights. If anybody is interested in discussing this situation let me know and I'll add you to the group. Skype is free and all you need is $20 or so videocam, or if you have a fairly new laptop, you probably already have one built into your machine. The Skype chat is a pretty constant small group whose main interest isn't in producing another reunion.....we've been there and done that. It isn't as important to us as to people who have never experienced it. However, if enough people get interested in doing something again... who knows what might happen? People have to talk about it first. If people don't talk, nothing will happen. Jerry and I are done taking the lead. Maybe Jerry and I aren't the last to carry the flag up the hill. Maybe it can be carried a little higher up that hill in gathering the still interested in an actual reunion before we all are either in a old folks home ...or dead.

One thing is obvious....the 31st Regiment Association never amounted to much and now is less than whatever they were before.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 am

It appears as though there is very little if any interest remaining in the association; that is, the men who were interested in locating their Brothers have done so, and those that were not interested could care less. Sadly this also appears to be the case with this very excellent website...it seems that other than NinerAlpha, NinerDelta and myself, there are no postings. :(
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:02 am

I agree, Jerry. However, at the Branson reunion there were guys who came to their first ever reunion who discovered it meant more to them than they had imagined it would. Some of them came up to me, as I'm sure they came up to you, and expressed this feeling. For some of them it probably put to rest old memories that had haunted them all their lives because they found themselves opening up about their memories with guys that were part of those memories. Many expressed feelings of wanting to do it again. The only problem is.... nobody wants to take the lead and few want to do some work to make it happen. Probably it is the end of the road.

I do know I'm not spending another dime on this site. As you say.... nobody seems to pay much attention to it.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Maybe part of the slowdown around here is seasonal, most people seem to spend more time
doing other thing than sitting at the keyboard in the summer. When winter drives us back indoors
there may be more participation, at least I hope so. I check here every day, but most days there
is nothing new and I move on. Perhaps if I led a more interesting life I could post more things.... :mrgreen:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Just post something anything that comes to mind , Vern. We could use the business.. :D

Get a Skype account and join in. It would surprise the heck out of us regulars. Speaking of which... it's just about time. I need to go get a beer.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”