Vet Center Library

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Vet Center Library

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Hello My 6/31st Brothers,

Sam Martin, one of my Delta Company, 3rd platoon leaders from 1969, has a project in place to provide a library of Vietnam related books which will be housed at the Hyannis, Mass. Vet Center. They plan to open the collection for all high school and junior college students in the area and also plan to notify the regular libraries about the collection so that they are aware it exists. However, the library will be controlled via Vietnam veteran volunteers.

Sam has already contributed over 200 books and I plan to contribute another 37 books. The goal is to reach 500 books as soon as possible. So, as you can see, they need approximately another 300 books to reach the goal of 500. This is going to be challenging since the goal of 500 assumes "no duplicates". Sam has requested that the books be signed by the contributor and include the following information concerning his service in Vietnam: rank, unit(s) with whom he served, and year(s) served.

If you have any books that you would like to offer, please pass the titles by me, so that we can insure that Sam does not already have the book. Sam will be happy to pay for the shipment of the books to his address for donation to the library.

Jerry White
3rd Platoon
Delta Company/1969
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Vet Center Library

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Make any difference if paperback or hard back? Make any difference if novel? Make any difference if you think the book sucks or is bad history?
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Paperback or hardback are both fine.

Just my thoughts...but I would probably "not" include a book that sucks.....or...is bad history. :)

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Made this post "Global"... maybe somebody passing by will see it.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:36 am

Got this email today from Jerry.

Hello 6/31st (blind-copied),

Sam Martin and I would like to sincerely thank all of our 6/31st Brothers who contributed either books or financial assistance for purchasing books for the new Vet Center Library in Hyannis Port, MA. Sam's dream was to have a library of approximately 500 books in place within a couple of years. With your excellent response, the library has already grown from 0 books in June of this year to approximately 600 books as of today. The Vets in the area are already using the library, and they greatly appreciate it. High schools and colleges in the area have also been made aware that it is available for their use. Again, thank you, very much, for your support in helping to make this dream come true.

I will attempt to copy/paste below a few pictures of the library.

Best regards
Jerry White

3rd platoon
Delta Company
Attachments
library-001.jpg

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”