Remember those Octobear pins?

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Remember those Octobear pins?

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 pm

About ten years ago I had some pins made. There were 100 of them and I sold them to raise money to pay for the site. All were, more or less, sold after not too long a time. Then ...just now...I saw this on ebay.

(I removed the link)

I wonder if somebody died and it was in their stuff....or what the history is. I sent the seller a question to see it they would respond.
Attachments
pinjan.jpg
pinjan.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Remember those Octobear pins?

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 am

I sent the seller a question and he replied :

Dear x9eralpha,

I am going to end the item immediately and keep the item. It was my stepfathers and I did not know of its significance. I try to keep the items that meant something to him and I'm sure this did.

- indyrecon1

I asked him who his step dad was.

Gary Spears.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:32 am

Gary had been mentioned here more than a few times. Here was one about the time of his funeral.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1127&p=2705&hilit=Gary+Spears#p2705
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Niner,
How well I remember Gary, and when Jim MacMaster's and I paid our last respects at Gary's funeral some years ago. Jan & I had been making visits to Indy to see Gary when he was in the hospital before we received that final notice of Gary's passing. At least there's a memento of remembrance for his son-in-law to share with other family members of Gary's military service in conjunction with the 31st Regiment. Maybe there's a shadow box the family might be able to add this to!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:57 am

I got this from Gary's step son today:

Dear x9eralpha,

He spoke with me often of the unit and some of the guys. We had that bond of both serving as grunts so he knew I would understand. My mother and Gary were a couple throughout my childhood. My biological father lived far away and therefore, Gary was always my dad. Losing him was one of the hardest things I have ever dealt with and I think of some memory we shared or some quality of his on a daily basis. Great, great man and I am sure you guys (his brothers) had a lot to do with instilling in him some of his greatest attributes as a soldier, man and father. I have recently separated from the Army after 14 years of service and after such a long period of service, I seemed to end up with many army related items. It is now time for spring cleaning so I am trying to clear a bit of my clutter. However, I definitely don't want to sell an item that probably brought him great joy in his final days. As a matter of fact, if you give me an address, I would like to send it back to you so you may still take a piece of Gary to the reunions. I know he would be there if he could be. I actually have all of his belongings. I lived with him during the last few years of his life, so if I see anything else pertaining to the unit that I can bear to depart with, I will gladly let you know of such items and see if you can put them to good use in representing the presence of one of the most loving and influential men in my life. I will certainly look up the website and hopefully I can attend a reunion soon for him. Thank you for your service to our nation and for the friendship you shared with Gary.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

This was our subsequent communication:

Dear x9eralpha,

Well, thank you for that sir. He taught me a lot. I will be sure to favorite the unit webpage and check it out from time to time. Thank you all for your service too, if it was a regiment full of Gary's.....it would have been hilarious and an all star team of guys. Take care.

- indyrecon1

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
Respond

To: indyrecon1
Subject: Re: Other: x9eralpha sent a message about EXC! VIETNAM US Army 6/31st Infantry Regiment lapel pin with post fastener #111329086330
Sent Date: Apr-20-14 14:04:51 PDT

Dear indyrecon1,

I wrote out a reply but included an email address ...so ebay blanked it since they thought I was trying to make some deal out of their line of sight. Maybe if they had read it first. Thanks for your letter. I posted it on the site in the string about the octobear. I think that badge belongs with you. It's our honor that you respect it because of Gary and I hope you keep it in memory of him.

Robert

- x9eralpha

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”