Here's another name that may belong on the Wall

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Here's another name that may belong on the Wall

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am

The Wall page here that is. His name is already on THE WALL.

Harvey C. Crabtree, Jr was more than probably part of an FO team with the 6/31st. He was KIA on June 19, 1969. He died as a result of hostile action while on a combat mission. It was by "other explosive device". The "other" was meant to be not a rocket or mortar...I think. But the way the military document is written it is unclear what happened. A command detonated device? A grenade like a chicom? No telling from the record.

The nearest known infantry casualty to that date was in Delta Company...but a day apart.

Anybody think they know who this guy is and what company he served with in the 6/31st?

This would have been when the 1/11 and the 2/4 were changing places in the arty support role. Vern would have just gotten out of the field I'd imagine.
Attachments
DSC02894.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Here's another name that may belong on the Wall

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I think it was July before we were pulled out of the field, but as usual, am not sure.......... :roll:

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:01 pm

You would know better than me, Vern.

Looking at the timeline it looks like D battery 2/4 was assigned to support the 6/31st on April 12, 1969. When they actually took 1/11th's place in support of the 6/31st I don't know..

Also from the timeline, You posted for June 20, 1969:

“Still plan on going to Hawaii for R&R in August. Most of the guys coming back only have a few months left here anyway. Will be here until about the end of Aug, then move up to about 10 miles south of Saigon. CBS news was filming here yesterday, Col. Hayes was talking to some of the guys on camera. They call this place FSB Duke now. “

Duke, as we know now, was more often known as Vinh Kim

Maybe the guy got killed with no connection to the 6/31st. I was just throwing out the possibility.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:10 pm

That was from one of my letters home, in June the rumors were still running wild about the pullout.
In reality, my DD-214 says that I left RVN on 14AUG69, but still not sure when I came back from the field.
Obviously I was still at Vinh Kim on June 20.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 pm

I sent an email to the Coffelt Data base to see what they could tell me. I got a nice response back:

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your own service, your interest in our project, and for maintaining the 6th/31st site. The gentleman on the cc line is my Coffelt colleague Ken Davis, Ken and I generally work together on queries,

I would not read too much into the language on Crabtree's DA2496, The Army generally used standard boilerplate descriptions such as "while on a mission in hostile territory." Though I will add we see this less then say, "when a hostile force was encountered". It is possible Crabtree was moving in a convoy though generally, but not always, a term such as "in a military vehicle" would be used.

On 06/19/1969, there were two other 9th Division soldiers killed, and in the same province. Both were C-4-39; Paul F Little and James T Woods. Their casualty descriptions both read, "Individual was killed while on a combat operation when a booby trap detonated." Though Crabtree's description reads differently, he is officially coded as "G" "Other Explosive Device", as are Little and Woods. In addition, Crabtree's TAGCEN record (another casualty coding source we have access to), says Booby Trap.

I do not know what Arty unit supported C-4-39 though I know it was not D, 2/4. However, whereas we usually, and much prefer, multiple sources for unit confirmation; we only have the DA2496 for Crabtree so it is possible his unit is wrong.

It is also entirely possible he was in fact in D, 2/4 and killed in an incident separate from Little and Woods. Ken may have a different view but I can not say for sure the nature of that incident based solely on the DA2496.

Robert, I know I have likely raised even more questions but did want to be thorough. Ken, Crabtree does have a Find A Grave entry with marker photo but it does not have any unit information. It does however show a BSM with a couple of OLCs. Ken, would appreciate your input as time allows.

Best Regards,
Dick Arnold
Coffelt Database Member
RVN 1967-68
35th Inf

Now the thing is... Delta Company 6/31st had a casualty in the same Province the day after. But... Jerry and Vern say that won't work since the guy didn't have anything to do with Delta Company. So... Crabtree is still a mystery man.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”