Message from Jack Kavanaugh 39th Cav ACV

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Message from Jack Kavanaugh 39th Cav ACV

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Got this email sent to me to share with you:

39th Cavalry ACV. Jack Kavanaugh

Hi guys. How have you all been? Good I hope. I was a crew-member on the ACV that struck the mine on Aug.3,1970. I was the left side M-60 gunner, 4 of us lived through that day. I'm sorry to hear that some of you have been bothered by what happened. I'm also sorry to say that I'd quite selfishly not thought of any of you too much in all this time. I was focused on the loss of my friends and the wounds of those of us that lived. I do remember your medic running from one of us to the next treating our wounds.....he took care of me...and I was off to the 93rd Evac in Long Binh and then of to Camp Zama, Japan. I know it was his initial treatment that contributed greatly to my recovery. I want to thank you all for caring for our wounded and securing the area.....as I was laying there in the paddy I was very aware of how easily I could have been shot by a sniper......we couldn't have been with a more confident and professional group of soldiers...you guys really took care of us when we needed it most. Thanks again!!! We're having a reunion this summer in Williamsburg,Va The last remaining ACV from our unit is on display there at the Transportation Museum....and we've been trying to have it restored and displayed properly....some work has started towards that. If any of you would like to attend you'd be more than welcomed.....I'd like to thank you personally for what you guys did for us 40 years ago. I'd like it if you feel like writing back as well....your Lt. seems to know more about what happened that day than I (we) do.
Take care and be well. Jack K.
The Pelion Kid
Sustaining Member

Re: Message from Jack Kavanaugh 39th Cav ACV

Postby The Pelion Kid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Is this a bit more like you would like the site to be Niner???This is a very touching story and that is the truth..I'm glad it was published..There are probably a lot more stories to be told and thank yous' to be said.. :twisted:
The Pelion Kid
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Floyd, there is one guy in particular that will be glad to see this contact. I've sent him an email to be sure he notices. Sometimes it all works to the good.
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

I am absolutely stunned by this post and must say thanks to Jack for writing about that day. I thought all these years that no crew member survived that day of horror. I see it just as clear now, as then. A fellow at where I work had said he knew someone on the crew, and I thought how could that be? I think, for me at least, this site has proved it's worth! I suppose one should not dwell on an incident such as this, but in my case I have not been able to shake it out. For that, forgive me, but again, I hope to learn more about it from Jack.
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
pointman
Sustaining Member

Postby pointman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Jack

On 21 Jun 1970, Alpha Co, 6/31st, swept through an island of trees, we later came to call VC Island. This has already been written about in several other locations. I was with the group that stayed behind.

To make a long story short, some or all of us might not be here today, save the sound of approaching ACV's, which lead the VC to disengage and get the hell out of there. We lost no one.

A big thanks to you and yours.

John Bullock

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”