Happy Thanksgiving

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Happy Thanksgiving

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm

This came from an email received from Ron Raymond. I thought it kinda said it all.

MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY,
MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP.
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS.
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS
Attachments
!cid_X_MA4_1258923858@aol.gif
The Pelion Kid
Sustaining Member

A good one..

Postby The Pelion Kid » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:37 pm

Nice thing there Niner.. :twisted:
The Pelion Kid
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Well....

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 pm

It's a gif... it's supposed to move around., Guess I have to update this site. It works on my gun nut site.

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:43 am

And Happy Thanksgiving to you, Robert.
I took a page from your cookbook and deep fried a turkey this year. Turned out great for a first try, it was very moist and tasty. My youngest son and I took turns drinking beer and watching the turkey cook. :D
Bought a deep fryer that had a thermostat on it so really didn't have to watch too close, just wanted to make sure it really worked, and it did. We will make a couple of small changes when we do the x-mas turkey, but nothing major.
It was a beautiful day, 77deg and sunny skies. Nothing better than cooking a turkey outdoors on Thanksgiving in shorts and t-shirts.
Hope you all enjoyed the day as much as we did.

Vern.
Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Didn't fry one this time

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:13 am

Wish I had now. Instead we wanted to try an already roasted bird from some place. There is a Fresh Market a couple of blocks from where we live and so we tried them. $3.50 a pound was the fee for a not real big cooked turkey.

Placed the order for a 10 to 12lb bird a week ago. Idea was to pick it up two days before Thanksgiving....already thinking it was not a good idea. When I went to pick it up I got a turkey in a shrink wrap plastic bag, refrigerator cold. On Thanksgiving it went into the oven, still in a second oven proof bag, for 10 minutes or so a pound to warm it up.

It looked ok, but tasted a bit dry and unspecial. But... better than the plastic bag suggested. Everybody used a lot of gravy and it was ok. We also had a ham, which was terrific.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go invest in $40 worth of peanut oil and fry one or two for Christmas. Going to be a big crowd this Chrismas too.

If you got one of those plastic battery operated pumps with a filter you can save the oil and use again Christmas or some other time. Be sure to filter it to get much of the fried crud out of the grease.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:29 am

Went to Lowes and got a cone shaped paint filter and then lined a funnel with about 20 layers of cheesecloth and put the paint filter in the middle. Seemed to clean it up pretty well. Fryer has a spigot, so just let it slowly drain into the funnel, took a while but cleaned the oil nicely.
Now ready for the Christmas bird.
Lowes had 3 gal jugs of peanut oil for $25, that was the best price around here.

Vern.
Vern.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”