Health Issues from Viet Nam

Discuss your experiences with the VA and offer information that may be of assistance to others who seek help from the Veterans Administration.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Health Issues from Viet Nam

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 am

I was recently contacted by one of our Bravo Brothers concerning his and several other Bravo Brother's inability to receive compensation from the VA for Agent Orange related issues; therefore, I am posting this email that I had received from Col Jerry Carlson prior to his passing. I will also contact several of our Brothers who have had to fight the VA in order to receive compensation for Agent Orange and see if they can provide us with the steps that they took to receive compensation for Agent Orange and/or PTSD. If they respond, I will post their responses.

A message from COL Jerry Carlson 6-31st

I hope you have signed up with the "Agent Orange" Clinic. In 06 I had Prostate Cancer. In 09 Lung Cancer both attributed to Agent Orange. Am now considered 100% disabled with that and the residual from 75 parachute jumps. The statistics are ONE OUT OF THREE HAVE SIGNED UP. My message to the Purple Heart Chapter is if you do not YOU ARE DERILECT IN YOUR DUTY TO BOTH YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. Please put a one liner in your messages and encourage the guys to go to the VA. Last year FOUR of the Purple Heart Chapter came down with an Agent Orange related disease - two with Prostate Cancer, one with Parkinsons and me with lung cancer ---and we all had been out of Vietnam 39 to 40 years. It's insidious.

Cost-free for veterans, no requirement for a copayment.
Comprehensive examination, including exposure and medical histories, laboratory tests, and physical exam.
Results discussed by a VA health professional with veteran, both in a personal face-to-face consultation and a followup letter.
No requirement to enroll in VA health care system to receive registry exam.
Agent Orange Registry exam is not a claim for VA benefits; nor is it required to receive VA health care benefits or disability compensation.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/
Delta75

John "Mac" McIntosh - Bravo Company

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 am

Below is the email that I received from John "Mac" McIntosh that made me decide to start this "thread".

Thanks, Jerry. Didn’t know who to contact.

Yes, I suspect the prostate cancer may be due to Agent Orange. Just as David Kirkland’s (also recently found by wife on the Internet) peripheral neuropathy is caused by Agent Orange. And yet both guys say the VA is denying their claims and not providing any assistance. How can this be? It’s in the mainstream news that the military has acknowledged Agent Orange causes various health problems and that veterans will be compensated. Why are these guys, including myself (with diabetes and heart problems) not getting the help they/we need? Who can we go to, to get things set straight, to get the help we’ve earned and deserve? Can you point me in the right direction? What are the steps we need to take to make this happen?

My daughter-in-law tells me her mother helped her step-father negotiate through the quagmire of the VA and managed to get his Agent Orange claim approved and he is now receiving monthly compensation of about $2500. Holy cow! How did she do that when so many of us are being stymied by the bureaucracy of the VA? She says her mother is busy and doesn’t have time right now to share this information with me and my wife. But my current medical bills are killing us and putting us in the poor house. We used to be middle class, but now... we’re lucky we still have our home but don’t know for how long...and paying bills this last year has been tough. I know some of the other guys we’ve found over the last year are struggling with the same issues, and it should not be this way.

Where can we go? Who can we talk to that can help us navigate through this mess to get the help we need? What are the exact steps we need to take and the exact right words to say and things to do for a claim to be approved??? And why is it like this? I can’t believe it. After everything we went through and then this... Sorry, went ballistic for a moment there.

Thanks for forwarding my email to the 31st. My wife is getting pretty good at finding the “guys we are searching for.” She used to email Mary Doyon all the time and got lots of help and ideas from her. She really came through for us (Mary did) and we were crushed to learn of her passing.

Anyway, thank you for responding to my email so quickly. My wife also recently found David Kirkland and Laverne “Buddy” Carter, shortly after finding Eugene Baiardi, all listed as “searching” on the regiment’s roster. I’m hoping she’ll find more of the guys before the reunion this year as we are planning to be there.

Good to hear from you and take care of yourself. Will you be at the reunion?

John “Mac” McIntosh
Delta75

Re: Health Issues from Viet Nam

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 am

John....are you presently receiving medical care thru the VA? If not you should be registered to do so, and they would cover most of your medical costs. If you happened to have been awarded a Purple Heart it provides additional no-cost coverage, such as hearing aids and glasses.....not as much as fully diabled or retired...but more than basic coverage. All that I have to pay is 20% co-insurance on my meds. In addition the VA can set up screening for Agent Orange. It surprises me that you have encountered so much resistance since Level 2 Diabities is a clearly understood result of Agent Orange. I do understand that the VA is fighting the admission that several cancers are also caused by agent orange. It is also my understanding that the the VA is basically denying most initial submissions, hoping that alot of guys will give up, BUT several of our men have appealed and obtained compensation. So...don't give up....request an appeal.

The VA will try to avoid all compensation that they can since they are now impacted heavily by Iraq and Afghan vets. Some of the organizations that will help you with the claims are the VFW, American Legion and Diabled American Veterans. Several of our men have also requested help from the senators/representatives who represent them.

Karl/Chuck can't the 31st Association provide our members with information as to the steps that one should take to obtain compensation for Agent Orange? I would think that we would want to make this information available on the 31st website. I greatly appreciate the work that the association does in regards to our yearly reunions; however, I believe that we should be able to do more than reunion support for our members. Surely we have members who are presently being compensated for Agent Orange who could help men like John.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 am

John...Correction: My meds were costing me $8 per medicine per month from the VA...not 20%. Now I just get the VA doctor to write me a precription and I now buy a 3 month supply of each medicine from Walmart for $10 per medicine.
Delta75

John "Mac" McIntosh - Bravo Company

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:35 am

Reply from John:

I am registered with the VA for medical, but there are very few prescriptions they can provide which are less expensive than continuing to use my Medicare to pay for it. I had a really bad experience with the VA 30 years ago (I thought they were either trying to kill me or at the very least were incompetent) and still don’t trust them, even to this day. It’s taken my wife many years to get me to the point where I would even go to the VA and register – which I finally did last year. But, I’ve chosen to continue on with my private doctors covered mostly by my Regence Med Advantage and only have the VA, at this time, provide the meds they can get cheaper than Medicare. I’m not yet confident that I would get the best level of care from the VA; I trust my private doctors more than I trust the VA. I guess that negative experience 30 years ago has tainted my perception of the VA. Maybe, someday, I’ll get over that. Maybe not.

I was awarded three purple hearts. Unfortunately none of them are on my DD214. I sent off a request for my military records about 6 months ago and I am still waiting for them. Wonder what could possibly be taking so long? My brother (Navy) sent off for his records about the same time I did and received his records three weeks later. I, unfortunately, am still waiting for mine. Perhaps I’ll have to submit yet another request.

My grandson (currently serving in the Marine Corps) claims he accessed the records database and confirmed I was awarded the three purple hearts. Wonder why they are not on my record and why they won’t send me a copy? I am aware that any veteran who was awarded a purple heart gets a higher level of priority and more benefits, but if I can’t ever get a copy of my own records that may never happen. I’ll try checking out that link you sent me and also possibly elicit the help of our elected politicians here in Oregon. Just wish we had advocates that would go to battle with the VA on our behalf and make this stuff happen. We fought one war on foreign soil and shouldn’t have to fight yet again in our own homeland to get the benefits we’ve earned and deserve. How sad that the VA seems to deny Vietnam veterans claims, in the hopes they will give up, so they can help the Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, but I guess that’s just how it is. Sad. Very sad. And frustrating. To see so many of our brothers left hanging and suffering needlessly.

I’ll check into having our prescriptions (written by the VA) filled at Wal-Mart for three months at a time. Perhaps that will save a little $. Every little bit helps.

Thanks again, Jerry, for your willingness to reply and share info even while out of the country. It shows you care and I deeply appreciate that.

Take care and hope you’ll keep in touch.

John “Mac” McIntosh

Bravo 6/31st

Go Polar Bears!
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 am

John...ask Walmart for a copy of their list of generic medicines that are priced at 3 months for $10...or, you can go online at Walmart.com and print the list out yourself if you have a printer. Then provide that list to your regular or VA doctor and see if they will substitute any of your present prescriptions for one of the lower priced generics. In the case of my wife, I have told her doctor (since I can't get her insurance coverage and since she is not yet 65) that if it's not on the list, don't bother with writing us a prescription, because we can't afford it.

All of my men who applied for PTSD and Agent Orange compensation shortly after returning home from VN are now getting 100% disability; however, those who have waited until the last few years are getting either 30% or have been denied. One of my guys, did however, finally got 100% after appealing several times. This, I believe, shows the impact of Iraq and Afghan vets.

I still have heard nothing from the 31st Association as to any help that they might be able to provide. Guess they only do "reunions". :)
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 am

John...check out this Jan/2013 VA link related to Agent Orange.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation ... orange.asp
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:39 am

Hi Guys,

I was recently contacted by one of our Bravo Brothers concerning his and several other Bravo Brother's inability to receive compensation from the VA for Agent Orange related issues; therefore, I have posted an email, that I had received from Col Jerry Carlson prior to his passing on Robert Stewart's 6/31st website. Since you men had to fight the VA in order to receive compensation for Agent Orange and/or PTSD, maybe you can provide me with the steps that you took to receive compensation. I will post any responses to Robert Stewart's 6/31st website. Hopefully by directing men to this link, we can help a few Brothers in their attempt at compensation. From what I am being told, apparently most of the initial claims now being submitted by Vietnam vets are being denied. Probably due to the large number of requests from our Iraq/Afghan soldiers. Since I have never applied for compensation, there is little that I can do to offer advice. Hopefully you men can help us out.

Please feel free to pass on to me any other related links that you believe we should make these men aware of. In addition, if you know other of our Brothers who have successfully battled the VA for compensation, please let me know so that I can contact them for their inputs.

Take Care My Brothers.......(BTW: I am still in Vietnam....2 months to go before I return to the world).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3340&p=7555#p7555
Delta75

Sam Martin - Delta Company

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:41 am

Jerry:

Get in touch with Walt Rutherford as he works closely with a blind Vietnam Marine lawyer on processing VA claims. Apparently, this gentlemen is a wizard at getting through all the red tape. I believe his office is in Kentucky. Walt, a psychologist, works closely with this guy on various claims regarding the VA.

Dan Kelley has a long history with the VA for various reasons and he would be good to contact for his thoughts.

As for myself, I have had much needed help via my local Vet Centre in Hyannis, Massachusetts along with the local Veteran's service representative (rather than direct contact with the VA). The big difference between the local Vet Centre and the VA is that the Vet Centre psychologists have access to your medical records. However, anything that is discussed through the Vet Centre cannot be accessed by the VA. Therefore, you can develop a good claim strategy without feeling that what you might say will go any further than the counselor/psychologist working with you.

Regards,
Sam
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:00 am

Hi John....I am starting to get responses from my Delta men...I will post them on Robert Stewart's 6/31st website. It appears that there is a position referred to as a Veteran Service Representative that can assist men in their pursuit of compensation. I "googled" and found this link for Oregon. It looks promising. You might want to check into it.

http://oregondva.com/find-a-veteran-service-office/

Jerry
Delta75

Dan Kelley - Charlie Company

Postby Delta75 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Adding to Sam and others replies:
I believe my efforts were rewarded for a number of reasons.
1- I have a wonderful VFW rep who works at the Chillicothe, Oh VA. It was through his efforts that I progressed.
2- I have been dealing with the VA since 1986 for PTSD and AA.
3- Find a good pschologist and tell them your story. Not what U want them to hear or what U think they want to hear. Knock off the 'bullshit!' I have heard to many REMFs trying to get an increase in comp by BSing and it hurts the legit ones.
4- Walts attorney friend in WV is good, Service reps are good, and VA folks are good too. U have to make your legit concerns known. If you have been through the real shit, U deserve help for your service and suffering.

Good Luck
Dan

PS Write your congressman. Going political helps as a last resort.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Vern Weed - Delta Company FO

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:13 am

A service rep from the DAV helped me through the process, he was excellent. But it was
still a process that took years from begining to end. The American Legion and the VFW
also have reps that will help you. Just don't give up, it takes time.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Delta75

PTSD Link Provided by Bill McMullen

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 am

PTSD Link Provided by Bill McMullen:

http://vietnamresearch.com/agento/ptsd.html
Delta75

Walt Rutherford - Delta Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:55 pm

The VA is counting on the death of Vietnam Veterans to alleviate the claims for AO and PTSD. This may sound like a conspiracy issue but the fact that there just isn't that many of us left and that the numbers of these claims can still be astounding makes me believe this beyond doubt. To make the issue more complex the service agencies have a cozy relationship with the VA. They act like clerks in assisting the vet claims and in some cases National Service Officers are sometimes quite good, but too often are passive and company people like VA workers are. Add to this that the VA itself has a inconsistency toward handling claims and that Vets themselves don't really know how to represent themselves. Too often we tough it out and deny the severity of our illnesses especially PTSD - we make claims but don't tell the ugly truth opting instead for a prettier picture. This works against us.

I agree with Sam Martin that going to a Vet Center is better than a VAMC, however I now refer all claimants to an attorney for representation. One such attorney that has been helpful to me and other vets including 6/31 brothers is attorney David Huffman(http://www.davidhuffmanlawservices.com ). David, himself a disabled (a Marine who was blinded in combat) Vietnam Veteran is first class. His staff and he are experts at dealing with these claims and I have found that the VA respects his representation greatly. From filing claims, helpful documentation, and representation at appeals and hearings I highly recommend his services. He can be reached at david.esq@davidhuffmanlawservices.com or toll free at 800-238-4237.

Thanks as always for your continued services to all of us. If anyone would like to speak with me directly I would be happy to speak with them. Below is my contact information.

All the best,

Walt

Walter D. Rutherford, Ph.D., MFT
6540 Lusk Boulevard, Suite 159
San Diego, CA 92121
858-442-6472
http://www.drwaltr.com
Krone

Rhett Krone - Echo Company

Postby Krone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Rhett Krone <rhttkr@gmail.com>

2:35 PM (5 hours ago)

to Mack, jerry.white1944
Jerry,
My name is Rhett Krone and was in the mortar platoon in Echo.
I was transferred to C/4/47th during infusion and sustained some injuries
in an ambush. I'm on 30% disability for PTSD.

I'll tell you my story. Maybe this will give some ideas to others of the 6/31st.
Please bear with me.

I became an MD, partly out of a feeling of complete and total helplessness
watching people die in Vietnam.

About two years ago I starting having a nervous breakdown and couldn't
figure out why.

My symptoms were quite severe: extreme depression, and a lot of other
stuff, plus I wanted to kill myself. Badly.

I called the VA suicide hotline, they kept me on the phone until the EMS
arrived, I was admitted to Psych, realized it was service connected, the VA
across the street came to see me and arranged for me to see one of their
shrinks when I was discharged the next day,Dr. Banelis, a very good
person, and she arranged for me to be admitted into the PTSD inpatient
program, six weeks long, at the Memphis VA Medical Center.

The VA has leading edge technology for treating PTSD.

While I was in there, I applied for disability for PTSD, as they will consider
you temporarily totally disabled for a month if you're an inpatient. That's
$3000, and I had no money.

I graduated after six weeks, 7 days a week, and by perseverance and
main determination got my medical license going again and got a job as a
doctor.

The VA kept sending me letters, from Memphis, Huntsville (where I live),
and Birmingham which is nearby. I threw them all away, except one which
had scheduled me for an audiologist exam, which I read and then threw
away. I lost some of my hearing due to rockets.

So, I never went to the VA for a C and P interview, or audiology to
confirm a service connected hearing loss.

Last summer they said that they were granting me a 30% permanent
disability for PTSD, based on my in-patient records, and that it might
have been higher had I not skipped the C&P interview.

The moral of this story is: if you go get in-patient treatment it's very
hard for the VA to deny PTSD disability. I did also get the $3000 for the
in-patient treatment.

Another thing is, one of the men from my PTSD support group is the
most knowledgeable person I've met as to the VA system. He knows
all about Agent Orange and PTSD.

He spends much of his time (he's retired) helping other veterans.

He was with an artillery unit up at Pleiku and Dak To.

This is his link:Mack McCray <m286mack459mack@aol.com>.

Mack stated he'd be happy to give help to his Brothers in the 6/31st.

I know now that you never get over PTSD, but my life is so much better
now. The in-patient program was the hardest thing I've ever done in
the civilian world, but worth it. And I've got a new job now: ER doctor
at the VA in Iowa City!
Delta75

Dick Dolehanty - Charllie Company -

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I FOUND OUT I HAD PROSTATE CANCER TWO YEARS AGO. I CONTACTED THE VA AND TOLD THEM IT WAS FROM BEING EXPOSED TO AGENT ORANGE IN NAM. I HAD NO PROBLEMS. I DID ALL THE PAPER WORK MY SELF AND HAD THE PROSTATE REMOVED A YEAR AGO. THEY GAVE ME A HUNDRED PERCENT DISABILITY BACK TO WHEN I FILED THE PAPER WORK UNTIL I HAD IT REMOVED. NOW I'M DOWN TO TWENTY PERCENT. I HOPE THEY GOT IT ALL, THEY DID GOOD BY ME. I DID NOT HAVE TO WAIT AT ALL. I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE VA.YOU NEED TO TELL THE BROTHERS TO HAVE THERE PSA CHECKED. WE WERE ALL EXPOSED TO AGENT ORANGE. IF THE PSA IS OVER 5 I SUGGEST YOU GET CHECK FOR CANCER..........HAVE A GOOD DAY BROTHER. THINKS FOR THE INFO.I'M IN MICHIGAN AND IT IS COLD.........HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL THE BEST..................DICK.....
Delta75

Ron Damrill - HHC - 69/70

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm

It’s been two years since submission – things seem to process faster under previous prudential administrations

Ron
Delta75

Arthur Gerringer - Charlie Company - 1970

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

I continue to wrestle with the VA to try and receive disability compensation for Agent Orange and other issues. They don't get in a hurry. They won't talk to me in person. They want me to prove everything. The effort continues...and I have already had cancer, which the VA hospital surgically removed, but said I had a forty percent chance of returning. I have peripheral neuropathy and that gets no attention. I can't get any attention on my busted right shoulder from a hot LZ landing against a tree stump, but, they say they will be working on it. You bet....keep up the struggle.
Delta75

Bob Borino - Echo Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I have a combined 70% disability rating for hearing loss and PTSD which
brings in about #1290 per month. While I saw enough combat to last me for
the rest of my days I know I did not see as much action as you and some of
the guys did.
The main point is not to take on the VA alone. There are service officers
which I believe are American Legion employees that will shepherd a claim
through the the system.I'll call tomorrow and find out who these folks are
and how to get in touch with them and drop you a line tomorrow night. We
all have Combat Infantry Badges which helped move my claim along.
I'll do anything I can to help my
6/31st brothers. That you can count on.
Delta75

Commodore Mann - Alpha Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:44 pm

THE VERY BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I CAN GIVE IS "PERSISTANCE." KEEP A LOG ON YOUR COMPUTER. ACKNOWLEDGE BACK TO THE VA EVERY PIECE OF CORRESPONDENCE YOU RECEIVE FROM THE VA AS WELL AS EVERY PIECE OF CORRESPONDENCE YOU SEND THEM. THERE ARE A FEW PRECURRSORS THAT ARE GIVEN IF YOU SERVED IN VIETNAM.

1. ANY TIME YOU ARE DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETIES (TYPE 1 OR TYPE II, IT IS AN AUTOMATIC QUALIFIED FOR A MINUMUM OF 20% PAID DISABILITY. EVEN IF YOUR WHOLE FAMILY HAS OR HADF A HISTORY OF DIABETES IF THE VIETNAM SOLDIER GETS DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETIES HE IS AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED INTO THE DATA BASE. ANY TYPE OF DIAGNOSED CANCER IS ABOUT A 90% CHANCE OF BEING QUALIFIED FOR DISABILITY FOR AN ANGENT ORANGE ISSUE. (NOT 90 PERCENT DISABILITY) iF YOU KNOW OF ANY SOLDIERS WHO DIED OF CANCER HIS SPOUSE CAN APPLY TO THE VA FOR SURVIVORS BENEFITS IF HE OR SHE WERE EVER IN vIETNAM. (THAT AMOUNTS TO ABOUT $1200.00 A MONTH, NOT MUCH BUT IT IS ALSO TAX FREE.

2. NORMALLY IF ANY 11B OR 11C SOLDIER ( MY MOS WHILE I WAS WITH THE 6/31 WAS 11F, (RECON AND INTEL) WHO CAN SHOW ORDERS FOR ANY COMBAT MEDALS (NOT MEDALS OF YOU WERE THERE WE WERE THERE AND WE ALL GOT SWEATSHIRTS OR IS HAVING BOUTS WITH OF ALCOHOL ABUSE, MENTAL ISSUES, LOSS OF MEMORY, VIOLANCE, THOUGHTS OF SUICIDE, AGGRESSION, DEPRESSION, SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET AT LEAST A 1O% BARE MINIMUM PERCENTAGE FOR PTSD. RIGHT NOW THE VA IS FOCUSED ON PTSD AS A HUGE ISSUE. THERE ARE SPECIAL LINES OPEN FOR SUICIDAL THOUGHTS ANF ANY CALLS TO THOSE SUICIDE HOTLINES GET THE HIGHEST PRIORITY FOR A RESPONSE. ALSO, THE ABILITY TO MULITTASK GETS HARDER AND HARDER. OF COURSE SOME OF THAT JUST COMES WITH BEING AND JUST STUPID. ( A LITTLE LEVITY). i STARTED RECEIVING DISABILITY FROM THE VA ALL HE WAY BACK TO 1969 WHEN I LELT THE BN AND RETURNED HOME. i LATER ACCEPTED A DIRECT COMMISSION TO 1LT, iNFANTRY AND DID NOT HAVE TO TAKE A RESIDENT COURSES FOR OFFICER CANDIDATE PROGRAMS AND WAS NEVER A 2LT. i WAS DRAFTED IN 1967 AND WAS ASSIGNED TO A CO, 6/31 IN IN OCT OF 1967.

WE DID A MINI EXERCISE TO BE AIR ASSAULT QUALIFIED WHEN WE GOT TO BEN HOA (BEARCAT III CORPS) SO AFTER EVER 25 MISSION ALL OF OUR SOLDIERS RECEIVED AN AIR MEDAL. NOW THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A 2 WEEK COURSE FOR AIR ASSAULT AT FT CAMPBELL AND THOSE SOLDIERS WHO GRADUATED CAN WEAR THE AIR ASSAULT BADGE EXCEPT FOR VIETNAM SOLDIERS WHO MAY HAVE SEVERAL COMBAT AIR MEDALS CAN NOT WEAR THE AIR ASSAULTBADGE EVEN THOUGH MANY OF US HAD COMBAT AIR MEDALS.

I HOPE THIS LENDS SOME INFO OTHERS CAN USE. OBSIVIOUSLY I RECEIVE VA DISABILITY. I CAN ALSO SHOW THAT ALL OF MY DISABILITIES, HEARING, WOUNDS RECEIVED, HIGH BLOOD PRESSUE AS WELL AS SEVERAL OTHER ISSUES ARE ALL CONSIDERED CRSC(COMBAT RELATED SPECIALTY COMPENSATION) IT HAS A HIGHER STATUS FOR VA AS IT WAS IN COMBAT AND NOT JUST GETTING YOUR EAR DRUMS BLOWN OUT ON THE RIFLE OR MOTOR RANGE OR AN ALLERGY TO WOOL OR WHAT EVER.

COL (Retired) Commodore Mann

A Co & HHC 6/31In, 2nd Bde

9th ID (AIR ASSAULT)
Delta75

Doug Parsons - Echo Company - 68/69

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

I applied for VA compensation in Sept. 2010, I've been waiting for a decision since then. I have spoken to the VA rep. that services my area a number of times to no avail. Every response I get back states; "We are very sorry for the delay, due to high volume of claims ..... blah blah blah". They must think that these letters of appeasement will give them more time for us to die off.

I have come to the conclusion that due to our age and health conditions we are just collateral damage. The choices we have are to "suck it up, accept their decisions or .... Stand the fuck up and take action they do understand.

Sometime in the past few days a high ranking VA employee came forward an exposed VA's cover-up of war related illnesses. Not just agent orange, also the 'gulf war syndrome' and I am sure other combat related mental problems.

Sorry did not intend to get up on a soap box but I hate to be forced to accept whatever is offered when it amounts to no more than words.

Let us never forget our fallen Brothers.
Delta75

Rick Ollendorf - Alpha Company - 1970

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 pm

I unfortunately had to apply for some disability assistance with the VA about a year and a half ago. That is when I found out that in California there is an association called AMVETS that is affiliated with the Department of California Service and Rehabilitation Department. They have an office at each VA facility but are not run by the VA. Every member that is there to assist you is a veteran that has been through the process and knows the process and procedures to go through. The man that helped me, John Neal, could not have helped me more. I now have a 50%disabilityty rating that was but through in about 4 months. And there is no cost or obligation to the vet to use these services.

I do not have a statewide number for this group but the number I have is for the Palo Alto California location, I am sure they could provide any info that someone might have. Thanumberer is (650) 493-5000 ext. 65392.

I know this will not help everyone but I highly recommend any California residents to seek out help from them. I hope this helps a bit.
Delta75

Don Klemme - Bravo Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I started getting 10% for the tinnitus in my ears about three years ago. I have had it since I got home from VN, but it got worse about four years ago and so I made a claim. It went fairly easy for me, but I don't have much info. on agent orange.
Delta75

Phil Harris - Charlie Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 pm

I was rated 50% for PTSD some years ago. It is critical that vets get to a Vetcenter or counselling service at a VA hospital. From there they will recieve a diagnosis of PTSD. It is also critical that the vet goes to a service officer from The Legion, VFW, VVA, DAV (the best) Amvets. DO NOT try to apply on your own.

Within the last year and a half I have been rated 100% due to 2 Ischemic heart attacks. Again, I went to a DAV service officer

Again, do not try to do it yourself!!!!! The bureaucrats use a special language and forms. They will not tell the vet what they are. Service officers are trained to speak the lingo and file the paper works as the bureaucrats want. And then be prepared to WAIT.

Delta75

George Newcomb - Echo Company

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Your best bet is to get in touch with the VFW or American Legion and ask for assistance. I only applied about 3 years ago and it took over 1 1/2 years to get results. One of the things they implied I should do is seek help from one of these organizations.

Return to “Health Issues from Vietnam”