Postcards from the Coast

Post a photo about your life today. Anybody associated with the 6/31st who is a registered user can post. Posts will also be made here of photos shared in the Skype chats. Use the free upload photo feature.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postcards from the Coast

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Just got back from a few days at the Gulf.
Attachments
beech.jpg
DSC01084.jpg
DSC01107.jpg
DSC01103.jpg
DSC01119.jpg
Pelican.jpg
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Re: Postcards from the Coast

Postby jbayer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 am

Gulf Shores? Just got back from a trout trip myself. Retirement has its perks!
JB
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:53 am

Got any pictures to post John. All you have to do is add as an attachment....if they aren't gigantic. Tell us about the trout fishing. You can use something like IrfanView to reduce to a 1000 pixels or so if they are too large.

Yep.. Gulf Shores. You been there? My wife and I have been twice this year for a few days each time. It's only about an hour drive away. Nothing outstanding about being there....other than they have some great places to eat and the surroundings are a complete change from back in the neighborhood with the usual daily schedule of the unexciting kind.
Attachments
DSC01171.jpg
DSC01133.jpg
DSC01101.jpg
DSC00971.jpg
DSC01161.jpg
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:28 am

Looks like a great spot to kick back. No, I haven't been there but have heard from others that the beach is as good as Destin's (and closer to St. Louis). No pics from the trout trip, but wife and I are headed to New England soon and will visit, among other venues, Antietam and Harpers Ferry--a couple of Civil War sites we have missed. I'll post a few shots when I get back.
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Niner--
I scanned a pic taken by the photographer at the reunion and tried uploading here, but its large (1225x1850 pixels).
Have you used IrfanView yourself? I'm always wary of downloading anything.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Use it all the time. Great software . That photo should post without resizing. Try the upload attachment feature.
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:28 pm

OK, let's give this a shot. The photo is of me giving a toast at the reunion banquet at the Air Force Museum.
Attachments
REUNION TOAST.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks like it posted. Thanks for giving it a shot. Who were you toasting?

Same mustache....a little older.

I grew one too in Vietnam. I think that was an FO thing. Although Logan and Holderness , my Lieutenant grade FO's before me didn't have one. Don't think Logan could have grown one...well it would have taken him longer than he was in the field I'd imagine.

I found Logan a month or two ago. He's an attorney and still working.
Attachments
Bayer.jpg
REUNION TOAST.jpg
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:02 am

There are always a ritual round of toasts, and different guys are asked to do one. My task was to toast the United States Army. As you can see, the punch bowl is at the right, and the E-6 on my left was in charge of the color guard. Yeah, same mustache, and only 44 years older. (How did that happen?!) I did take a look at Logan's web site recently. I remember him from our time in country. I also remember his Birddog pilot taking a round through the plexiglass over Chantrea when he was AO and they limped back to an air strip somewhere.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 am

40606021_G.jpg
Here is a photo of the guy who was FO for Alpha before Logan. Late 69. He went on to be FDO at Delta Battery at Can Giouc for a while before getting his own battery as a 1st Lieutenant. Logan was an FO in the field from sometime late November or sometime in December of 69 and got the AO job probably sometime inMarch of 70.

I'll add a picture Jim Tierney sent me. Shows the Alpha LT's at Gettysburg probably some time in February of 1970. Bill Logan is the tall skinny guy second from left.

Notice Keith Carlson's mustache in the second photo? The FO thing to do as I was mentioning.

Incidentally, Keith is a retired Middle School principle living in Florida. He comes to the Skype chats on Thursday nights more often than not. Get a Skype handle and let me know what it is and I will add you as a contact and will also add you in if I see you online some Thursday night.
Attachments
Lavezzi03.jpg
Logan is second from left
Lavezzi03.jpg (103.94 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

Return to “Post a photo”