Bombers of WWII

Post a photo about your life today. Anybody associated with the 6/31st who is a registered user can post. Posts will also be made here of photos shared in the Skype chats. Use the free upload photo feature.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Bombers of WWII

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 am

Recently while helping out at a booth at our town balloon fest show I had the oppurtunity to check out a B-25 bomber at the local airport. If you wanted to take a ride on this 'ol bird be ready to drop a few bills as flights on her cost $500! This is an original combat aircraft as the tell-tale signs of flack can be seen with patching locations on the fuselage. Took a few pictures of the B-25 before the next customer took their thrilling ride.
Attachments
IMG_0915.JPG
Nose & 50 cal. guns
IMG_0914.JPG
Bomb control panel
IMG_0912.JPG
Right side decal & gun pod
IMG_0911.JPG
Close-up view
IMG_0910.JPG
B-25 Bomber full view
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Bombers of WWII

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:16 am

Now that must have been an interesting day. Reminds me of Vern Weed, Delta FO team. He is a big fan of planes in general and particular. He took a ride in an old B24 a year or two ago. Maybe if he looks at this he will tell something about it. At one time he had made a short movie of his flight that he could link.

I got to thinking about it.... and I have a photo of a B25 that is at Battleship Park in Mobile. This one looks a little different from the one Ron shows. This one has a closed in nose. Seems, with a google look, there were a lot of versions during the war. Letters run C,D, G, H, J...and whatever else. The one's attached are "J" but seems some J models had glassed in noses too.

The B25 at Battleship Park made one flight into the park thirty-five years ago, or probably more years ago than that, and now isn't likely to be going anywhere ever again.
Attachments
DSCN2098.jpg
DSCN2097.jpg
DSCN2096.jpg
DSCN2095.jpg
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Re: Bombers of WWII

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Niner,
Glad you brought up the 'different versions' of bombers, namely the noses. Personel at the show told me that in occordance with what theater the aircraft was used in the air force made changes to the bombers. Closed fronts were used in straffing runs, sometimes as low as 10ft. off the deck, and the planes armament was increased. You'll notice the amount of side gun pods or blisters were doubled, front nose guns increased in numbers and the payload was changed from fewer bombs to more gun ammo. Since the bombadier was no longer needed they then changed over to a covered nose using more fire power. The planes raised all sorts of hell in the Atlantic Theater with this type of setup, especially on miliitary ships and land objectives. Planes were known to return to bases with sometimes having tree limbs stuck to their underside or parts of their wings gone when straffing ships while going in low on the deck. Could have spent more time in hearing about such episodes of these WWII aircraft!

Return to “Post a photo”