Training for Vietnam in the snow

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Training for Vietnam in the snow

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:35 am

From Del Bumann's album. The mortar team of Delta Company on a field exercise at Ft. Lewis before the battalion was sent to Vietnam as a complete unit. Most of us were just replacements in later dates and sketchy training was supplemented by joining a group of guys already blooded by battle and way ahead of us on the learning curve . Must have been less than comforting knowing everybody was "green" together in a place completely different from where they were trained. No need for field jackets in the delta. No gloves in inventory. And... the enemy more often used mines and booby traps than mortars. Just about everything these guys really needed to know they learned in Vietnam I'd guess.

The Delta mortar men from that time were pretty close though. They met for years after the war...and maybe still do. I haven't heard from Del in a long while. Hope he is doing good.
Attachments
collage.jpg
001a_sized.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Training for Vietnam in the snow

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Here it is July. I just got out of the back yard where I was working on painting a swing. It was 92 in the shade. This photo is a pretty good reminder that cold isn't always all that bad. Although.... I still like summer better than winter even though it just about never snows where I live.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Training for Vietnam in the snow

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I grew up and have moved back to my little hometown that is about 100 miles north of
Ft. Lewis, now called Joint Base Lewis-McChord since they combined Ft. Lewis and
McChord Air Force Base.
When I joined the Army I knew I would take basic a Ft. Lewis, so I made sure I went through
basic in the summer, no field trips and pup tents in the snow for me........ 8)

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Opening page image”