Now here is a motley crew

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Now here is a motley crew

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed May 21, 2014 9:24 am

I noticed this one going through the album looking for the next opening page. It was in Charlie Salisbury's Delta album. Whoever these guys are they served in 1970 and were in some platoon of Delta Company. Notice how they are equipped for the field each in his own way. The tall black guy has a helmet and is wearing Gook Shop tailored pants and flashing a peace sign. The little guy on the end has a boonie hat with grenade pins in the band. Each man carries an assortment of weapons and platoon share items, like claymores and laws. Some are wearing the proscribed flak jacket. All are unique, and at the same time, copies of each other. The guy on the left, second in line, with his middle finger extended is also making his statement about something. The picture taker? Being in the bush? The war? Notice how young they all were 44 years ago. Anybody able to name any of them? Any of you one of them? Odds are one or two of them have passed away by this time.
Attachments
collage.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Now here is a motley crew

Postby Niner Delta » Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I noticed the guy giving the finger has a "camo pattern?" shirt on, the black guy has something attached to his
rifle's front handguard on the bottom, and the guy on the far right has an odd looking bladder type water bottle
that I don't remember seeing.
That really is a mix and match bunch, but then, we all were............ :D

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 23, 2014 10:28 pm

That canteen is a 2 quart model. I had one of those. They were soft sided and weren't hard plastic like the 1 quart standard ones. From what I read they were a late war issue item and showed up as an item of choice sometime in 69. They made good pillows too.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Sat May 24, 2014 7:25 am

Robert,
Something else about the shorter guy on the right is that he appears to be carrying slightly more gear than usual, such as 'claymore mines' hanging loosely about him. For some reason there might have been a quick put together group photo with the men throwing on what gear they could muster for a wild 'group photo' of themselves. I know if I had all that gear swinging and banging all over me I think I'd have made some quick changes, especially if it was making noise!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am

They do look less than ready to start humping. That guy on the right has that 2QT canteen hanging over his private parts. Don't think that would have been his normal way of carrying it. Maybe they were just breaking an ambush one morning and the picture taker said," Hey guys , let me get a picture" and they just came together in whatever degree of ready they happened to be.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:24 am

I had one of those bladder bottles in 1969. You are correct...they made a good pillow. As far as the man on the right...because of the weight of all the rounds that they carried, our M-79 men never carried all of the extra stuff that this man is carrying. Don't know how he could have made it across a canal.
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Sun May 25, 2014 9:33 am

The black guy, the medic, looks familiar, but I can't come up with a name. I think his father was an M.D. The others I don't recognize.
John Bayer
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Wed May 28, 2014 9:34 pm

I know the cat on the left, heheh, the black fellow was our medic, I believe his name was Doc Brown, the fellow on the far right was named Rick. Rick was on the 79 the night Sgt. Walker saved our lives. I think I wrote about the fight, it was my very 1st one in Nam. I wish I knew Rick, because I always wondered why he wasn't banging the 79 much. He was near Sgts Schlegal, and Walker, right where the radios were. I was with the machine gun, humping the extra ammo etc. I can't remember the machine gunners name, I do remember he came from the 1st Div. Sgt Walker moved us to the right of the battle under artillery fire, saved are butts! They came back and assaulted our 1st position after artillery was lifted. I still remember Sgt. Walker telling us in a very calm voice not to open up! He had come with us to see how Sgt. Schlegal, [spelling?] conducted an ambush. I always felt Walker saved us, Schlegal had just got to Nam too, we were lucky Walker was there! This is what Capt. Lowe meant when he told the Co. to get equipped the way we were supposed to. Some cats were doing their own thing. One other thing, at about dusk, I saw movement behind us, ripped a few shots at them, boy did Walker rip into me! He said we would not move, 50% guard to about 12, 100% there after, they hit us around 12. They had a machine gun too, they almost took ours out.
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu May 29, 2014 7:45 pm

If I remember, Doc Brown had a bandage on his weapon, he was a cool, took over the concert, doing the funky chicken, I still have some pictures I believe. There was a band back in the day, Motley Crew...I think.
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury

Return to “Opening page image”