Thanksgiving Hospital Bill of Fare 1970

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Thanksgiving Hospital Bill of Fare 1970

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanksgiving in Vietnam saw the usual turkey with dressing and cranberry, yams or potatoes and some kind of green vegetable and some kind of roll or plain bread. Sometimes you had to eat it off of a paper plate in the rain... like me after getting a transfer to the 101st after the 6/31st pulled out in September of 1970. But.... it was Thanksgiving and the Army mess halls served turkey often enough so it must have been no problem to put it on the menu everywhere there was a mess hall in this world on Thanksgiving.

The menu on the opening page looks pretty spectacular as measured against a normal Vietnam bill of fare. The reason this is so was because it was made for men recovering from wounds in a hospital in Japan. They deserved the extra effort. The bones of the image come from John Bullock's album. He was on the road to recovery from serious wounds when he got this menu card. I left out the sentiment expressed by the commander of the hospital in the opening photo. But the hospital commander obviously tried his best to say the right ....though official proforma stuff ...and he probably went a little heavy on thanks for the blessings of the past year for members of his organization who also got the same menu. The patients probably were feeling blessed and thankful though...... that they were only "almost killed" in the past year and that the hospital staff was, generally, working to make them better.
Attachments
collage.jpg
249th_menu_2.jpg
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Re: Thanksgiving Hospital Bill of Fare 1970

Postby Ron » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Niner,
I beg to differ on a "normal" menu in Dong Tam, namely our own battalion mess hall! As the pictures show, this was our Thanksgiving feast served to us back in Dong Tam. I imagine the FSB's had their 'hot' meals flown out to them or possibly put together in FSB Moore's own mess hall. Anyway, it all tasted great right up to the last crumb with a beverage to wash it all down. :)
Anyone remember any one of these meals?!
Attachments
IMG_0037.JPG
Thanksgiving Day 1968 - Dong Tam
IMG_0039.JPG
The Prayer
IMG_0038.JPG
The Menu
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 am

Dong Tam? You sure that wasn't a Navy menu with the shrimp cocktail and the assortment of pies and fruitcake, candy and nuts? You didn't slip into their side of the base did you? Or... Maybe the Army got some of the Navy food supply that day to keep down fights if one service compared menu's with the other.

The Navy were a whole other thing from the Army in food supply. I remember eating steamed Lobster at a mud puddle Navy fuel stop called Tra Cu once. The Navy mess hall provided the grunts of Alpha with the upscale meal.
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 am

After 6/31 stood down in September 1970, I ended up in HQ 4th Division Artillery and saw how the other half lived in country. I ate Thanksgiving dinner with the DivArty commander and all the rest of his staff sitting around a big oval table. I was surrounded by REMFs who had probably never heard a shot fired in anger. When I flew into An Khe a month earlier, I was being driven from the airfield, and as we approached a road junction some colonel's jeep pulled up. The colonel shouted "lieutenant!" and demanded a salute. I realized immediately I was a world away from the bush.
John Bayer
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 am

Yep , John , the 101st was like that too....although I was at the very bottom of the pyramid and never was invited to dine with any officers, I know exactly what you are speaking about though. Two different worlds. The only seriously bad part was that some of those ticket punching senior officers would sometimes create by order unnecessary situations that could get guys in the field killed. Working by that time as a functionary of an infantry battalion LNO section I can remember some bone head senior base camp warrior doings vividly even now.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 am

Here is a string at another site I just happened on. It is about Thanksgiving menus in the service long before the 6/31st got started. A couple of posts show the 11th artillery menu from way back. A battalion of the 11th artillery supported the 6/31st when they first came to Vietnam. And... as Vern Weed can tell you, when the first two brigades of the 9th pulled out of Vietnam, many of the members of the 11th went to Hawaii where the arty battalion had come from previous to the war. Check out the French pretensions for Turkey dinner. Their mess sergeant must have had aspirations of being a chef.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... and-cards/
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:50 am

Here is a string at another site I just happened on. It is about Thanksgiving menus in the service long before the 6/31st got started. A couple of posts show the 11th artillery menu from way back. A battalion of the 11th artillery supported the 6/31st when they first came to Vietnam...1/11. And... as Vern Weed can tell you... when the first two brigades of the 9th pulled out of Vietnam, many of the members of the 11th went to Hawaii where the arty battalion had come from previous to the war. By later 69 the 6/31st, moved to the third brigade, was married to the 2/4 th arty. Check out the French pretensions for Turkey dinner. Their mess sergeant must have had aspirations of being a chef.

If you scroll about half way down the string you will see the 11th Arty menu.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... and-cards/

Return to “Opening page image”