Gettysburg

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Gettysburg

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Just to change the photo for a few days. Gettysburg about March of 1970.
Attachments
collage.jpg
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Gettysburg

Postby Delta75 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 am

As can be seen from my 2011 pictures, Gettysburg looks nothing like this today. Rice paddies, trees, and family farms are now every where.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:07 am

Yep...it isn't the same. Here is one of the headers from 2011 with Jerry's photo...or rather a couple of his photos stitched together to show the contrast between 2011 and 1970.

For those who haven't been keeping up with the site. Check this string out.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2939

And after you see the above string, check out the Album with comments under each photo by Jerry about his adventure.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=20242
Attachments
collage.jpg
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 am

I was wondering, was not a group of seals, or special forces operating out of this Firebase? I think we were not allowed to be near their part of the Firebase.
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 am

Charlie, I don't remember any Navy Seals being base camped there...not they weren't from one time to another though. I couldn't say one way or the other on the subject.

I remember two things about Seals and Gettysburg. In February 1970 the Navy demo people...maybe Seals.. or maybe not... created a big explosion that made the last link in part of the dredged canal system. I took a photo from out a few thousand meters from the base itself and an unknown distance from the explosion. Later I found a better and more spectacular photo in the Go Devil newspaper.

On another occasion many months later I was at Gettysburg and, in broad daylight, some alarm was made about VC off in the distance. Well climbing up to the mound that was the TOC I could see what the palaver was about. Out across the Bo Bo, in a sea of waist high reeds and a thousand meters or more off were about three guys dressed like Rambo in dark...maybe wet... clothes. The face paint and the sweat band and all. Then as I watched a chopper that was called to investigate was hovering over them and they were waving their hands. It turned out they were Navy Seals and had been out there working on more waterway demolition and decided to walk in to Gettysburg. They just forgot..or couldn't.. call in first to tell us they were coming. Guess they had a lucky day. That chopper...I think it was a Cobra.. or at least a gun slick....might have shot first and asked questions later.
Attachments
Expl.jpg
101_G.jpg
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

Man, I did not know any of that, would have liked to seen that explosion live, as they say. I was looking at the way Gettysburg is now, its hard to imagine that you know?
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Charlie and Robert,
I've read somewhere that SF or Seals operated out of Tra Cu at some point, but I don't know whether they were around when the battalion operated from there.
John Bayer
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm

I wouldn't be surprised, John. All I remember about the layout of Tra Cu was Navy at one end and some kind of Vietnamese unit at the other.
Attachments
9era.jpg
9era.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

Return to “Opening page image”