Another 6/31st reunion?

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Another 6/31st reunion?

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:43 pm

The first and only 6th battalion 31st Infantry reunion was in Branson in 2015. Three years ago already. Since that reunion several of the guys that attended have passed on. One guy attended only to die a couple weeks afterward of cancer. Perhaps attending gave him some satisfaction and completed something before he left this life.

I'm out of the reunion chairman mode. Jerry White, at last report, was too. We wanted to do that Branson Reunion because we felt it was important, if only once, to have a reunion and invite as many guys as served with the 6th of the 31st as we could find. No dues. No fees. No memberships required. Those who had been with the battalion in Vietnam had already paid the membership dues in full a long time ago. And we found and invited by email and post card thousands of guys. Many of whom had never spoken to anybody they served with since the war. When asked to stand if this was your first ever reuniting with guys you served with at the Memorial service perhaps a third of the house stood up. And... it was the largest gathering ever, even considering the earlier days when a lot of us worked to get people to a 31st Regiment Reunion...and a lot of those early years attendees had passed on long before the Branson reunion.

The Regiment Association is having a reunion this month. No doubt a shadow of the past for whatever 6th of the 31st guys show up. That's why I thought I'd repeat this header photo. To give somebody passing by something to think about.
Attachments
collage.jpg
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Another 6/31st reunion?

Postby Delta75 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am

I'll never forget the surprise when men asked if they could at least contribute to the beer/soda/snacks cost and we told them "thank you very much, but we have it all covered". Truly a remarkable event that will never be beaten or even matched. I know that it was quite a task that nearly killed Robert and me, but we both feel that it was well worth it. I knew that we had had a great turnout; however, when I stood up to speak at the Memorial Service, I was in awe at the hundreds of people who were attending. It certainly made it well worth all the hard work. I am confident that the 2015 Branson Reunion was the greatest turnout to-date of 6/31st men, and that it will never be exceeded.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Looks like the 31st Association reunion will begin hours after Hurricane Florence hits the Atlantic coast with a center that could be over or near Myrtle Beach. Should put a damper on travel arrangements for attendees. To say the least.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:10 pm

This is very bad news for those planning to attend the reunion and for Charlie Tapp, the reunion coordinator, who I am sure has put a great deal of work into this reunion. The 31st Regiment Association "finally" chose a very nice vacation/resort location for a reunion, and now Mother Nature is literally putting a damper on it. Hopefully this storm will redirect and turn away from its presently projected path. Charlie Tapp is a fine man and deserves better luck than a storm on top of the reunion that he has/is coordinating.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 am

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Even though I haven't always agreed with the Association, it's too bad that they had to
cancel their reunion. I'm sure many were looking forward to it and I hope they have better
luck next year. Maybe they should consider the West Coast since we have very few weather
extremes out here...... :D

Vern.

Return to “Opening page image”