Jerry White's 2013 Viet Nam Trip

Jerry White toured various sites in Vietnam of historic importance to the 6/31st.
Feel free to post additional new posts about Vietnam then and now or comment on anything posted. Check out the same photos in the album with comments by Jerry under each image. http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=19416
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Jerry White's 2013 Viet Nam Trip

Postby Delta75 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Hello All.....looks like my wife and I will be returning to Viet Nam for a 3 month visit in late January 2013....so....if there are any requests for pictures of more former sites, just let me know.....and...no...I cannot attempt to locate any old girlfriends. :lol:
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Jerry White's 2013 Viet Nam Trip

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Look forward to seeing a report from your next trip. If I think of any places to investigate I'll make a suggestion. Thanks for the offer.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

I should also be able to join the chat sessions from our house in Viet Nam...like I did last year.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am

Had a mini-reunion today with several of the Vinh Kim coke kids from 1969. They plan to try to get all of the remaining coke kids together for a larger reunion before my wife and I return to the states. Will attach pictures at a later date.

Jerry White
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

BTW: Many of you might remember that Lt Mercurio had Barbara arrested and taken to Dong Tam as a VC..where...she talked her way out of it....BUT.....I found out some new news at the Coke Kid mini-reunion. It turns out that Lt Mercurio was tricked by Bach into believing that Bach was against the VC; therefore, the Lt would bring an M-16 to the field and loan it to Bach to serve as our "local" Tiger Scout. Bach's true allegiance was shown after our platoon killed his brother (the VC with a wooden leg). That is when Bach decided that he didn't want to go out with us anymore. After we left Vinh Kim for Can Giouc, Bach blew off his right hand while setting a boobytrap for the ARVN. Just think...Bach could have killed any of us, Barry Wible included, at any time if he had wanted to. Since the VC had ordered Barbara to kill Barry, Mercurio and me...I am sure that they had ordered Bach to do the same. I guess that maybe both Barbara and Bach had developed a relationship with us that prevented them from doing it. Thank goodness for that.

I will attach a 1969 picture of Dang and Bach...I will have to find one later of That.
Attachments
IM_A0063.jpg
Bach is the kid in the middle
IM_A0034.jpg
Al Pulvirenti and Dang
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Talk about a double agent confusing loyalties story. If Mercurio is still breathing and comes to a reunion.... does Barbara talk to him? Do you talk to him? Anybody on any side hold any grudges now days?
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm

No...Although our men have tried to get him to attend a reunion (especially the 3rd platoon DC reunion), Lt John Mercurio prefers not to attend reunions. As to Barbara talking to the Lt: After we moved to Can Giuoc, Barbara followed us and she said that she talked to John on several occasions, and, apparently, there were/are no ill feelings on either side. I have talked to John several times over the years via either phone, email or letters. John is presently a clinical psychologist in New York.

Bach, our "VC" mini-Tiger Scout, asks about the Lt everytime that I see him; therefore, it is clear that Bach liked the Lt....thus probably why he did not kill him, regardless of the orders that he had received. Probably, as did Barbara, he just kept making excuses as to why he couldn't get "the job" done.

It seems as though the primary assignment to the coke kids was to keep the VC informed of our location and to steal our grenades.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Jerry,

In this photo taken at Vinh Kim, I'm holding a little girl named "Mimi". I think her family
did laundry for us. Do you or Barbara know what happened to her?

Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Attachments
scan0098 - Copy.jpg
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Delta75

Mimi

Postby Delta75 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Vern...I will check to see if anyone remembers her and if they know where she is today.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Postby jtier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Jerry

Hope you and Barbara are doing well.

I have wondered all these years what ever happen to the Alpha 1st platoon Tiger Scouts Chu and Chinn. When I left I believe That Chu was working with headquarters company and headquarters assigned them where they were needed.

Chu was a younger scout and Chinn was older and had leg damage due to a booby trap that killed two other of Alpha 1st platoon tiger scouts Minn and Duc on Sept 26 1969.

Do you think Barbara or her family would know what happen to them?

Thanks

Jim Tierney
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Jim, I had asked Barbara before about the fate of the Tiger Scouts. Unfortunately, her response was not good news. She told me that unless they were able to escape to another country, most of the Tiger Scouts were killed by the VC when they were forced to return to their home districts after the fall of the south in 1975. I am not sure how accurate this statement is, but I would think that it was very possible.
jtier
Sustaining Member

Postby jtier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks Jerry,

Not the answer I was hoping for but had always feared that.

Lets just hope they all got out of the country.

Hope to see you and Barbara in Dayton!

Regards

Jim
Delta75

Mimi

Postby Delta75 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 am

Hi Vern,

Dang (former coke kid later policeman) says that you are correct. "Mimi's" ( not her real name) mother was named Ba Sau and she did do the laundry for the GI's in Vinh Kim. Bau Sau died many years ago; however, her daughter is still alive. Dang will provide me with more information if he is able to locate her.

Jerry
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks Jerry, I always wondered what happened to her. She was a cute little girl and we used to
tease her all the time. Glad she made it through the tough times and hopefully is doing well.

Vern.
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Jerry White Explores 6/31st Locations”