Tan An 2011

Jerry White toured various sites in Vietnam of historic importance to the 6/31st.
Feel free to post additional new posts about Vietnam then and now or comment on anything posted. Check out the same photos in the album with comments by Jerry under each image. http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=19416
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Tan An 2011

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 am

Tan An had been the 3rd Brigade Headquarters of the 9th Division. In 1970 all replacements went through the main basecamp at Tan An to be assigned to battalions.

As stated in my summary...previously provided...Tan An was easy to find. Tan An was a good sized town when we were there, but it has changed from a dirty med-sized town, to one that is full of industry of all kinds (much of it along QL04), it is very, very modern looking when compared to what I remember. The small river that ran to the south of the compound now has streets running on both sides and these streets are lined with businesses. There are streets lined with businesses all around the old compound. To the west is a large soccer stadium with huge light towers for night games. To the north of the compound is the only place that I could see an old building. There was one small place...more like a very wide alley...on the west side where one could see people living in less than nice surroundings. I missed taking a picture of both the soccer stadium and this "slum" alley, and I planned to take a picture of each on the way back; however, after 6 hours...I was ready to get back to Vinh Kim and get off the "scooter"....thus I did not stop for pictures....we took a bypass around the city in order to miss the traffic. I did take a few shots of the Tan An bridge...hopefully, these shots will show a bunker or two that are still there.

The Tan An pictures are attached below.

Jerry

The Tan An Album has been added here:

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=19971
Attachments
Tan An 1.jpg
Tan An 2.jpg
Tan An 3.jpg
Tan An 4.jpg
Tan An 5.jpg
Tan An 6.jpg
Tan An 7.jpg
Tan An 8.jpg
Tan An 9.jpg
Tan An 10.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Tan An 2011

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 pm

From Del Bumann. Tan An bridge photos.

#1 is taken leaving Tan An heading onto the Tan An bridge
#2 is taken from entering the bridge SW corner where your pics show a couple high-rise buildings now
#3 is looking south from Tan an bridge
#4 is close to the NE corner of the bridge

Del also sent this message:

Jerry

I have to compliment you on the great pictures and 'Tour' that you are sending. "FANTASTIC!!"
I am sending a separate E-mail with 4 pics that I snapped from the Tan An Bridge. The camera that I took along over to VN got broken right away and I volunteered to ride shotgun on the water supply truck to get to the PX at Tan An and purchased a new Cannon. These were the first 4 pictures that I took with the new 35 mm. I thought you may be interested in the 'before' & 'after' .

I also have to comment on the pictures you have of the area of the 9/26/68 ambush. Wow! It took my breath away and brought a tear-- It all looked very familiar and I got the feeling you took a couple of those from pretty close to where PSG John Jones, David Stevens, Mike Thomason and myself were pinned down all afternoon and throughout the night behind a paddy dike that as I remember was only about the size of me (my size now, ha ha). But it did protect us. No short rice crop then, just waist high grass in about 1-1.5 ft of water with lots of leaches. It looks like you got a pic of the hooch where Cpt Smith and the hdq got to when we were split up.(or maybe it's replacement after all this time) We, the 4th plt, were in the chopper right behind them. We had been sent along sort of attached to Cpt. Smith. We got a pretty good view of the chopper downed to their front, SW of us.

Again, thanks for the amazing job that you are doing. And also thank you to Robert for the job you are doing.

Del

Ps: I hope you can receive the 4 pictures where ever you are. If not I'll get them to you after you return home.
Attachments
1.jpg
leaving Tan An heading onto the Tan An bridge
2.jpg
taken from entering the bridge SW corner where your pics show a couple high-rise buildings now
3.jpg
looking south from Tan an bridge
4.jpg
close to the NE corner of the bridge

Return to “Jerry White Explores 6/31st Locations”