Jerry White checks out several places

Jerry White toured various sites in Vietnam of historic importance to the 6/31st.
Feel free to post additional new posts about Vietnam then and now or comment on anything posted. Check out the same photos in the album with comments by Jerry under each image. http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=19416
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Jerry White checks out several places

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:36 am

From an email the will pretty much cover the discription of the latest trip:

Robert (and others blindcopied)...I am back after 6 hours of riding on a small Honda motorbike...more like a scooter...thus my butt is, needless to say, sore! There's not as much "meat" back there as there used to be.

I will send you separate emails/pictures for each town. Once you have posted in the album, I will place comments on each picture.

Tan An: No problem...found easily with specific landmarks from Google Earth.
Ben Luc: Major problems finding both the FSB and Keaton...both the map that I bought in Vinh Kim and Google Earth show a Hwy 824 that does not exist. In addition, the road that they are actually on is labeled incorrectly on Google Earth. We spent over 2 hours in Ben Luc trying to find the sites. Everyone that we talked to kept directing us incorrectly. Finally we moved over one road and using Google Earth landmarks found both. One man kept trying to tell me that the FSB was where Keaton was and that Keaton was downtown. Finally we said "thank you" and went off on our own. We went to where I thought Keaton to be and the ladies working the field said...yes....this is where Keaton was. They even told us that the trail we took from the road had been the road into Keaton. They also confirmed that the FSB was 100m - 200m back toward Ben Luc on the opposite side of the road...again...just where I thought it would be based on Goggle Earth landmarks. Funny thing about landmarks, what looked like a tennis court was, in fact, a tennis court, what looked like a grove of trees turned out to be a small pond. QL04 Bridge: I saw no sign of any bunkers...or anything to remind me of the war. I took a few shots anyway. After 2 hours in Ben Luc looking for the FSB and Keaton, I was ready to move one...I didn't want to spend much time looking around the bridge for signs that we were there.
FSB Smoke: Surprisingly no problem...found easily with specific landmarks from Google Earth.
FSB Can Giuoc: No problem...found easily with specific landmarks from Google Earth. Note: Tried to find a view of the pagoda/church in the distance; however, trees blocked the distant view.

Jerry

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Jerry White <jerry.white1944@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All (Delta Company and others blind-copied),

Thanks so much to Jack L. Morrison for converting the military grids to Google Earth long/lat coordinates for me. This makes it much easier to find the locations via the use of present day features, such as roads, paths, rivers, canals, buildings, etc.

Well, I will be up early tomorrow morning to travel to some more of our former "haunts". Should be an all day task as I plan to find and take pictures of what used to be the following:

Tan An: Where our HQs was located for a while.
Ben Luc: (1) Bridge where naval units were stationed, (2) FSB Ben Luc, and (3) Camp Keaton (down the road a bit from the FSB). Robert....I will not go to what was identified as the Ben Luc Base Camp, per info from the internet it appears that this was an engineering location. In addition, there was a cloud over this area on Google Earth, thus making it difficult to identify landmarks.
FSB Smoke: What our earlier men referred to as a hell-hole.
FSB Can Giuoc: My last stop while in Vietnam
I will provide the pictures to Robert, for posting on his website, as soon as I return to Vinh Kim.

Next week I plan to cover the following:

FSB Chamberlain
FSB Gettysburg
Tra Cu Naval Base (also a Special Forces Camp).
This should cover all of our "haunts" with the exception of Bearcat (which is east of Saigon....and many hours away from where I am..thus making a trip infeasible), and Nha Be which is now on the grounds of the Shell Refinery, and entry is, of course, restricted.

Take Care
Jerry

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Jerry White checks out several places

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 am

Jerry will make comments under the photos added to the Album section.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/mai ... emId=19416

Photos can be views as a slide show in each sub album. Jerry has made comments under all the photos and that will be seen at the bottom of the screen when you open individual photos to view.

Return to “Jerry White Explores 6/31st Locations”