6/31st Reunion High Attendance Trophy

Reunions of any size and any discription. If you have one to promote, this is the place. If you have photos or comments about past reunions this is also the place.

Moderator: Delta75

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

6/31st Reunion High Attendance Trophy

Postby Delta75 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Hello 6/31st!

I am copy/pasting a picture of the 6/31st Reunion High Attendance Trophy that I bought in 2007 to award, beginning with the 2007 San Antonio Reunion, to the 6/31st Company having the highest reunion attendance. Actually this is a picture of the replacement trophy that Charlie Tapp bought to replace the original one which had been broken. This trophy has also suffered some damage that I will attempt to have repaired. It appears that he broke both ankles while jumping out of a helicopter. :)

For those who don't know the history of the trophy: The 2005 31st Regiment Association reunion at Columbus, GA was the first reunion having a large number of Vietnam vets (113) attending. Delta Company had the highest attendance with 81. As the reunion closed, Mary Doyon, whose brother had served in Alpha Company, and I made a bet as to which company would have the highest attendance at the 2006 reunion which was to be held in Syracuse, NY. She bet that it would be Alpha, and I bet that it would be Delta. When Delta won again, Mary provided me with a trophy made of popsicle sticks. We both had a good laugh about it, and I told her that I would have a trophy ready at the 2007 reunion to be held at San Antonio, TX. Delta won once again in San Antonio, and we provided the trophy to James (Jim) MacMaster to keep until the next reunion that was held in 2008 at San Pedro, CA. Delta provided the trophy to Jim, because in 2004 he had provided us with a list of over 200 Delta Company names and Social Security numbers that he had extracted from some old orders that he had. This list along with the roster from Robert Stewart's 6/31st website were the "seeds" for the present 6/31st roster that now contains 3,231 names. After the San Antonio reunion, this tradition was continued. Sadly Mary passed away in November of 2012, and now, as stated below, the 31st Regiment Association has decided to discontinue the use of the trophy as a part of their reunion. Thus the history of the trophy.

Just prior to the Branson Reunion, Ron Corson informed me that the 31st Regiment Association had made the decision to discontinue using this trophy as part of their reunions, and he asked me if I would like to have it. Since Charlie had bought the replacement trophy, I thought that Charlie should have it; however, Charlie kindly offered it to me. and I gladly accepted. Charlie dropped by on his way to Branson to pick up the trophy from Ron, and he gave it to me in Branson.

Once the trophy has been repaired, it will be called back to active duty for any future 6/31st Stand Alone reunions that might be scheduled.

FYI: At the time of purchase, reunion attendance records were available from 2004; therefore, the plaque on the trophy covers 2004 - 2015 (Branson). To-date only Charlie Company and Delta Company have been awarded the trophy; however, based on the 2015 Branson Reunion attendance, it appears that Bravo Company might soon be joining Charlie and Delta.

Take Care My Brothers

Jerry
Attachments
Branson Reunion 011.JPG
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: 6/31st Reunion High Attendance Trophy

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:53 pm

The trophy came back to Jerry.... somewhat battered and wounded in service. And Delta still had the most there at 52.
Attachments
IMG_6582.jpg

Return to “Reunion events Past, Present, Future”