Reunion of a sort

Reunions of any size and any discription. If you have one to promote, this is the place. If you have photos or comments about past reunions this is also the place.

Moderator: Delta75

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Reunion of a sort

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Chuck Thrush is a regular on the chats. A relative of his served when I did in Alpha company. Chuck was in the Big Red One in Vietnam in 69. Chuck was down to the beach to avoid Illinois winter for a week. But after 70's yesterday we were in the 40's and rain today with the latest arctic blast. We took a tour of Battleship park with Chuck's wife and Chucks long time friend and his wife.
Attachments
DSC01850.jpg
DSC01890.jpg
DSC01891.jpg
DSC01901.jpg
DSC01910.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Reunion of a sort

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Looks like a fun tour, if I ever get close to Mobile, I would like to see all that....

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 pm

If you ever come this way, Vern, I'd be glad to give you the tour. There are some good places to eat too, close to the Park. I'll pick up the dinner tab.

By the way.... I got my 6/31st hat with the none-such Combat Artillery Pin in it that you sent me some years ago.
Attachments
DSC01850.jpg
DSC01850.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
DSC01912.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:27 am

That would be fun, especially if you are buying....... :mrgreen:

I just checked and you can still buy those CAB's online, I wonder why?
They were never authorized and yet they are still for sale.
Maybe someone made up a bunch thinking that they could corner the
market when they became official.......oops... 8)

Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 am

Or.... guys like you and me want one just because there is no such actual thing.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 pm

I sent that one to you years ago, but never bought one for myself......until today.. :D

Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 am

Vern, after thinking about it, the one you sent me was the full size one. The one on my hat in the photo is some small version I got sometime afterward that I can't remember.

The one you sent me is at the top of my "I love me" framed military flotsam and jetsam display on my home office gun and trumpet room wall.
Attachments
DSC01924.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Maybe that will be one of my projects, to make a display case like that.
You are one up on me, I don't have a Bronze Star, but I do have 3 Ar-Coms and
2 have a "V" device, does that count........... :mrgreen:
Somebody (civilian) way back in the day asked me what the "V" was for, I told them
it was obvious, V is for Vern.

On ebay I saw this little badge/bar that hangs under your rifleman badge. Remember those guys
that had a whole row of those hanging down, machine gun, grenade, knife, P-38, mop, mess kit,
whatever they had for sale at the PX.
I have never seen one that said "Field Arty", and how in the world do you qualify for it???
Probably as official as our CABs, and if anyone should get them, it's us......right...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments
arty.jpg
arty.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 pm

You are one up on me, I don't have a Bronze Star, but I do have 3 Ar-Coms and
2 have a "V" device, does that count...........

Do three deuces beat a one eyed Jack? You beat me, Vern. Any medal with a V is better than any medal without one.

Actually I don't think of the display, hidden away in my own personal room, as anything more than stuff I have as trinkets to mark having undergone the experience. I prize that CAB...which never existed in the catalog of awards... as more special than the rest. You awarded it to me. That's more than can be said for the Bronze star. I got issued that one while checking out of the 101st after my last three months in country. A clerk handed it to me along with one of the Arcoms. Said the orders would catch up to me. Seems everybody in the 101st with a combat MOS and no bad marks against them got one of each. The Bronze star orders did arrive some months later...but not the printed BS engraved citation suitable for framing. That second Arcom I don't think I ever got the orders for, so that one is probably officially bogus. I guess some clerk noted I already had one and figured one to a customer. Of the rest, the Air Medal, February to April 70, is the only one I actually earned in that the FO I was working for made sure the insertion time went into the books and I was awarded it with a set of orders that said I was Infantry, 6/31st. Maybe that is bogus too, come to think of it, since I wasn't Infantry and the 6/31st couldn't give me any medals.

I got put in for a V medal award once. At least I was told I was. It was for humping a radio along with the then Niner Alpha, Jerry Holderness, over a dry rice paddy at Chantrea in Cambodia with the intent of knocking out a machinegun position that had greeted us earlier. We were all by ourselves in broad daylight being the only special thing about it. The chief good I did was to tell Holderness that the Fire direction RTO had repeated the grid for fire wrong and to tell them again. Never did get any medal for that. I wonder if Holderness did? I do think he nailed the machine-gunner. At least we later recovered the gun.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Your Air Medal isn't bogus, I have one also, the FOs we had kept track because they wanted one too........ 8) .
As for the "Vs", I got one with the 1/11th and one with the 6/31st, and I did get the BS engraved citation for all three.
I also got a Certificate of Combat Service from the 9th Div, and when I got out they gave me nice embossed Certificate of
Appreciation from the Dept of the Army and one from the POTUS at the time, Nixon.
All those certificates were a big help adjusting to civilian life and getting a job when I got out...... 8) :roll: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...NOT.

Vern

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:01 pm

I think I got one of those Nixon loves me letters someplace.....or had one and discarded it the same as the Shoe Station advertisement in the local newspaper. Of course he personally didn't sign it, unfortunately. I enjoyed seeing him go through the Watergate thing a few years later. Just wish he had been impeached. I would have enjoyed the memory of that more.

Thinking about the Air Medal and the FO thing. After I was the FO.... still PFC at the end of May 1970... when I went to the clerk to record the insertions for air medal purposes for myself and my RTO, the clerk wouldn't take the time to put the insertion counts in his book. I wasn't an officer I guess was the prime reason..that...and the FO team was only attached and not considered to be really there as they weren't official members of the company. No more Air Medals for me or my RTO number one and later RTO number two. At this juncture, looking back, it was all quite meaningless anyway.
jbayer
Site Sponsor 2014

Postby jbayer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Niner,
We certainly earned those air medals. As often as we flew on eagle flights, we probably deserved more than one. Your experience with the 101st sounded familiar. After I was transferred to the 4th, I was awarded two bronze stars for meritorious service. Maybe for running trucks down Route 19 during the division's standdown phase. Or, maybe because I was among the favored at DivArty. Who knows? BTW, I'm going to redo my own display case and add the valorous unit award. Are you aware that 6/31 received that for the Parrot's Beak operation? I have to say, I think those medals do mean something. One way or the other we earned them.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm

John if you want to add some trinkets, I was directed to a site that will help with that:

Here is a link to an official government pamplet:

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/P672_3.pdf

6th Battalion

Valorous Unit Award

6–12 May 68, DAGO 43, 70
5–12 May 70, DAGO 48, 71

RVN Gallantry Cross w/Palm (ribbon only)

1 Dec 66–30 Jun 68, DAGO 31, 69
1 Jul–13 Nov 68, DAGO 31,69
Jan–Jun 69, DAGO 59, 69
29 Jul 69–20 Jul 70, DAGO 55, 71

RVN Civil Actions Honor Medal, First Class Color, with Palm (ribbon only)

19 Dec 66–28 Jun 69, DAGO 59, 69
26 Jul 69–20 Jul 70, DAGO 59, 69

Now... I did buy that Vietnamese awarded green and white deal with the 60 device. Everybody who stepped foot in country got one of those. It was the National Defense Ribbon of the military in Vietnam. The Vietnamese were just too cheap to buy everybody one. Guess it would have cut into their graft and corruption income.

I'm not buying any of the medals, John. It's just against my religion.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 am

I was bored...so I went looking to see what I could find out about these "awards". And I made a picture for your education and enjoyment.

That Civil Action 1st Class with a palm.....but no side of fries....., for some reason, should only be worn as a bar ribbon and no actual medal...unless awarded specifically to an individual. Seems like what we used to call Indian Giving. And, if an officer got one as an individual it was a number one...First Class.. and if an enlisted man got one as an individual he got a number two... Second Class.

That pretty red one with no medal says we all were heroes...but only regular heroes. If we were first class heroes we would have been awarded a Presidential citation which would have meant we were super heroes ...I guess.

That one in the middle is a Vietnamese at-a-boy issued to military of all kinds as well as civilians they liked as well. Anybody wants one always had to buy it. And... it goes without saying how the government that was happy to see us then turned out after we left. The ironic thing is that if you were to buy one today it would as likely as not be made by the victorious other side in recent times and gladly sold in an oddly capitalist way to their former enemy.

If you want to read the official versions of description in the image attached just click on it to make larger.
Attachments
medals.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58 pm

I couldn't let this alone without posting a photo of two pictures I have hanging on my gun room wall. I've had the pictures for at least fifty years. It kinda sums up the medal thing.
Attachments
DSC01969.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:14 pm

By the way part two. I looked up 2/4th Artillery since that was the battalion of Delta battery, the 6/31st support battery and FO team source in some part of 69 and down to the end in 1970. Same additional awards as 6/31st.

4th Artillery
2d Battalion
Valorous Unit Award—6–12 May 68, DAGO 43, 70
RVN Gallantry Cross w/Palm—1 Dec 66–30 Jun 68, DAGO 31, 69
1 Jul–13 Nov 68 DAGO 31,69; Jan–Jun 69, DAGO 59, 69; 29 Jul
69–20 Jul 70, DAGO 55, 71
RVN Civil Actions Honor Medal, FC—19 Dec 66–28 Jun 69,
DAGO 59, 69 26 Jul 69–20 Jul 70, DAGO 55, 71
Battery D
Valorous Unit Award—5–12 May 70, DAGO 48, 71
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 pm

I looked up the C 1/11 Arty that I was in, think it was about the same.

Vern

Return to “Reunion events Past, Present, Future”