The 31st Reunion in 2012 with updates as we get them

Reunions of any size and any discription. If you have one to promote, this is the place. If you have photos or comments about past reunions this is also the place.

Moderator: Delta75

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The 31st Reunion in 2012 with updates as we get them

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 pm

As a favor to Jerry White and a service to those who visit here I'm posting the following information from the last 31st newsletter about the 2012 reunion in Washington DC.

In future 31st Newsletters there should be further information and complete reunion costs. In addition, after the first of the year, the 31st Regiment Association website will be updated to include information related to the 2012 reunion. To receive the 31st Newsletter, the 31st Regiment Association requires that you be a member of the Association. You are not required to be a member of the Association in order to attend the reunion. I'll also include the page with the joining information in this post so you can save and print it if you are interested in joining the Association. Just click on the attachments to open to full size.
Attachments
capital.jpg
application.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: The 31st Reunion in 2012 as reported by the 31st Associa

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm

The 31st Association website has managed to post some new information about the next Reunion. One thing that is very important to note is that if you think you might want to go on the proposed White House Tour you need to download and print out, fill in, and mail in, a form before March 1, 2012. This is so authorities can give you the once over and be sure you aren't a terrorist or in some other way may be suspected of possibly doing some harm to the peace of the White House. Be sure to read all of the linked page at the 31st Regiment Site if you plan on going to the next reunion and be sure you do what you need to do about this form information. Hit the link.

http://www.31stinfantry.org/2012reunion.htm
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: The 31st Reunion in 2012 with updates as we get them

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:10 pm

The form is in the latest 31st Regiment news letter which is now circulating. If you are a paid up member in good standing you probably will get it in the mail.

Click to enlarge. Save to your computer and print if you don't belong to the Association but want to attend the reunion and want to participate in the tour.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Got this information in an email sent today, April 21, 2012, to a number of people , including myself. From Colonel Karl Lowe on behalf of the 21st Regiment Association :

Fellow veterans of the 6th Battalion, 31st Infantry,

Hard to believe that it has been over 40 years since we left Vietnam.
I address this to all former members of the battalion because there is
a bond among us even if we never met. Those who formed the battalion
at Ft Lewis in 1967 and went over together knew those who joined in
1969 and they in turn knew those who were there until the end in 1970,
creating a brotherhood across those seemingly eternal years. Like
veterans of all wars, Vietnam was a major influence on our lives, in
some way shaping what we have since become. Many of us owe thanks to
comrades who helped bring us through that experience alive. If you
wonder about those you served with--what they became, where they live,
and if they are even still alive, you have an opportunity to find out
but it fades each year. After returning from Vietnam, at least 87 of
our comrades have died, a sobering reminder of our own mortality and
the steadily declining opportunity we have to renew friendships of
that time long ago.

The 31st Infantry Regiment Association exists to give us that
opportunity, as it has for veterans of both World Wars and the Korean
War before us. Each generation passed its legacy to those who
followed, just as we do for men of the 31st who served in Iraq and
Afghanistan. On August 10-13, the Association will hold its 96th
Anniversary Reunion at Alexandria, VA. The largest group of veterans
present will likely be your brother Vietnam veterans of the 6th
Battalion. Based on preliminary contacts, we expect more than 200 to
attend. I hope you will join us. An agenda and registration form are
attached. Even if you cannot come to this year’s reunion, please join
the association (a membership application is also attached) to receive
our quarterly newsletter to keep you in touch. An application form is
also attached. Whatever you decide, please stay in touch. All the
best,

Karl Lowe
(D Company, 6-31st Infantry, 1970)
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Also the following attachment received this date....April 21, 2012

Reunion 2012
Our regiment’s 96th Anniversary Reunion will be 10-13 Aug 2012 at Washington D C. Host hotel is the Westin in Alexandria, VA (400 Courthouse Square). Phone 1-866-837-4210 for reservations and tell them you are with the 31st Infantry Regiment Association to get our reduced rate. Cut-off date for reservations is July 30. In addition to your room reservation, you must also register for the reunion by July 30. A reunion registration form is attached. Please fill it out and mail it with your check, payable to 31st Inf Regt Assn, to Joe De Angelis 3035 El Rio Dr, Meridian, ID 83642. Agenda is still subject to modification but so far, it looks like this:

Friday 10 Aug (arrival, socialize at the hospitality room, Executive Board meeting at 5PM)
Saturday 11 Aug
• 0900 White House tour for those who signed up; If the tour is disapproved (we won’t know until 3-4 weeks out), there will be a tour of the US Capitol instead.)
• 1030 Bus transportation to memorials on the DC Mall. Busses must return to the Westin Hotel by 1300. Those who wish to remain at the DC Mall longer to visit other sites (National Archives, Smithsonian Museums of American History and Natural History, Air and Space Museum, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial are all on or near the mall) can take as long as you wish (cafeterias are in each of the museums) and can return to the Hotel (near Alexandria King St Station) by Yellow Line Metro (subway) for $2.15 per person. It is clean, punctual, and safe.
• Afternoon and evening are open to socialize with old friends and visit sights in DC.
Sunday 12 Aug
• 0900 Memorial Ceremony at the George Washington National Masonic Memorial.
• 1100 General business meeting at the Westin; hospitality room is open until 2 PM;
• 1830 Reunion Banquet at the Westin. We’ll have a surprise guest speaker.
Monday 13 Aug (departure)
If you fly into Reagan National Airport, you might not want to rent a car. For a fare of $1.60, hop on DC Metro’s yellow line train toward Huntington and get off at King Street Station, two stops (7 minutes) away. At the station, there will be a Westin shuttle bus waiting to take you to the hotel, 2 blocks away. The hotel is near the George Washington Masonic Memorial (picture at right), offering a panoramic view of DC from its little known top floor observation deck. We’ll take a bus to and from the mall on Saturday (cost not yet firm). To visit the attractions in DC, return to the King Street station and for a fare of just $2.15, take Metro’s yellow line train toward Fort Totten and get off at Archives Station, only 7 stops (19 minutes) away.

Because travel costs are high, we’ve tried to keep costs of our events down and because DC is a tourist destination with a wide variety of attractions convenient to the hotel by metro, we’ve left the choices to you to do things with old friends rather than trying to fit everyone to the same activities. The Westin has worked with us to make this as affordable as possible, given the season and local pricing. What follows is a summary of your expected costs.
Hotel room: $109/night for single or double, $119 for triple, $129 for quadruple occupancy, plus $1 per night local occupancy tax and 11.5% state tax=$122.54 for single or double occupancy, $133.69 for triple, or $144.84 for quadruple.
Tour Bus: $15 per person (required for White House tour, optional for visiting attractions on the DC Mall)
Banquet: $40 per person (required for all attending)

All meals are at individual expense. We’ll include driving directions in the June newsletter. Look forward to seeing you for our biggest reunion ever. I’ll be your point of contact. Call me at 703-978-1076 or email karlhlowe@gmail.com if you have questions. Karl Lowe
Attachments
reg.jpg
Mem.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 am

Well, we are a month away. The excitement may be building.....but you wouldn't know it from this site.

I did get a group email from one of my Alpha company friends directed to a few guys he knew asking for a response on attendance. I'd imagine some of the guys he contacted will attend.

Anybody out there that plans on attending that wouldn't mind saying so? Know of anybody else who is going to attend?
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi Niner.....I haven't heard anything from my Delta Company 3rd platoon men as far as attending the reunion. Quite a few of these men, who have attended past reunions, are not actually members of the association, and if the newsletter is the primary reunion information source, since they are not members, they will not receive the newsletter, thus they may or may not be aware of the reunion. I haven't heard from my regional director since Col Carlson (now deceased) left his regional director position several years ago; therefore, I could be totally wrong, but I doubt that many of the regional directors are reaching out to the men within their regions to make them aware of the reunion and to encourage them to attend. With my recent retirement moving cost and with the cost of my wife's trip to Viet Nam to take care of some urgent family matters, I will not be able to afford to attend the reunion this year. Hopefully, in a few years, there will be another reunion closer to Texas and I will be able to attend on my proverbial "fixed income". :D Maybe Chaplain Burns has forgotten how much work it is to organize a reunion and will volunteer to host another in San Antonio. :D Other than for the "missing cup" incident :oops: , the last San Antonio reunion was awesome with the highest attendance of any prior or post reunion.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Anyone out there going to the 2012 DC Reunion? If you are planning to attend, would you please provide us with sit-reps as to how things are going? Sorry that I could not make it this year, but the cost of my wife's May - Aug trip to Viet Nam made it impossible for this ol' boy on "fixed income" to attend.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I know Floyd Jones is going. He promises to give us some photos and a report about how it went. It's likely he will be on the chat tonight.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Great! Please let Floyd know that I am curious as to how many 6/31st men will attend.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Niner.....hopefully, since the other two 6/31st related websites are not being updated, someone from the association will provide you with the attendance figures of the DC reunion so that you can post them on this website. Here's hoping that they had a great turnout. Wish I could have attended, but with the cost of my wife's extended 4 month trip to Viet Nam, I couldn't afford to make the trip. I understand that next year's reunion will be in Ohio, and, if the DC reunion turnout was good, more of our men might be encouraged to attend.

Again, hopefully the DC turnout was excellent, and that it set a new reunion attendance record, but I am afraid that the 2007 San Antonio reunion set an attendance record that will be difficult to beat, especially as we get older and lose more of our Brothers. I pulled up some attendance information from the San Antonio reunion and all that I can find are the numbers for the 6/31st: Men = 162, Guests: 81, Total = 243. This number of 243 does not include the men (and their guests) from the 4/31st (Viet Nam), the WWII vets, the Korean War vets, nor the active 4/31st honor guard. If all of these groups were added, I would think that the total San Antonio reunion attendance would have exceeded 300. Hopefully the association is reaching out to our 4/31st veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan, and with their increased attendance, if the DC reunion didn't break the San Antonio attendance record, the record will fall soon at a future reunion.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 pm

It was sooooo great to see that Karl Lowe has posted information on the 2012 DC Reunion! This information is greatly appreciated. The reunion was an outstanding success (although not beating the 2007 San Antonio record)! The thing that was most heart-warming to me was the recognition given to the 300+ men who have passed since returning from Viet Nam. Karl, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I wish that I could have been there to see it. Well done Karl! John will have to work really hard in order for the 2013 Ohio reunion to match this one.

Jerry White
3rd platoon/Delta Company/1969

Return to “Reunion events Past, Present, Future”