VC soldiers

This is a forum for the weapons we knew about. It is also a place for remembering the equipment we carried and how and why we carried what we did.
ChrisT

VC soldiers

Postby ChrisT » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:51 pm

Were the VC soldiers armed differently to their NVA counterparts? Did they have very poor equipment in comparrision to them?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:26 pm

I'm no expert, and can speak only from my limited experience. But....the NVA we ran into in Cambodia had more equipment. For instance, mortars and machine guns. They dressed a little better too... including the famous pith helmet. They also seemed to have a little better web gear.

The VC didn't have much, but didn't need much. AK47's were the main battle rifle with them as well as the NVA as the war progressed. They also carried SKS rifles and Mosin Nagants. They were experts at planting mines and booby traps and could use RPG's and recoiless rifles from time to time.

Here is a picture of me in Cambodia as Niner Alpha India-Oscar at the tme, with a pith helmet, and under my arm is a canvas sack some unfortunate NVA had used to carry things in.
Attachments
cambo1.jpg

Return to “Weapons, equipment, and how we did things”